Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:48 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times

Advertisements

Anyone experienced coworkers coming to them 2 or 3 days before pay day asing-"can I borrow $20 until payday? And I'm stunned because some of these people are 45 and older and are having trouble managing their money. But what's even worst is when payday comes, the person who borrowed the money does not say a word about the money they borrowed from you. They act as if they never borrowed any money from you at all which is why my lending out days are over at the workplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 09:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
I've lent coworkers $10 for lunch when they didn't have cash on them and the place we were going to eat didn't accept credit cards or ATM cards. I don't consider that poor money management. Sometimes the kids take your cash for school stuff that they forgot to tell you about until that morning and you don't have time to hit the ATM before you go to work. Of course they have always paid me back the next day--even if it wasn't payday.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've lent coworkers $10 for lunch when they didn't have cash on them and the place we were going to eat didn't accept credit cards or ATM cards. I don't consider that poor money management. Sometimes the kids take your cash for school stuff that they forgot to tell you about until that morning and you don't have time to hit the ATM before you go to work. Of course they have always paid me back the next day--even if it wasn't payday.

I'm talking about the coworkers who HOPE you forget they borrowed the money from you.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm talking about the coworkers who HOPE you forget they borrowed the money from you.
Grow a backbone and tell them flat out that you need the $20 they borrowed from you back. And if someone else hits you up, tell them, "Sorry, I no longer lend coworkers money because several of them have borrwed and not repaid, and I'm not the Bank of New York."

Old 12-19-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Grow a backbone and tell them flat out that you need the $20 they borrowed from you back. And if someone else hits you up, tell them, "Sorry, I no longer lend coworkers money because several of them have borrwed and not repaid, and I'm not the Bank of New York."

I shouldn't have to remind them and I don't want to be confrontational in the workplace so I don't say anything. They will just be reminded that they still owe me money if they come to me in the future.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:22 AM

It's not confrontational if you gently remind them that they borroewed money and you need it back.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,572 times
I'd tell them to send me an email so I have a record...

Old 12-19-2009, 09:40 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,897,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
I'd tell them to send me an email so I have a record...
This is an excellent idea. No email, no lending money. That simple.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:49 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Anyone experienced coworkers coming to them 2 or 3 days before pay day asing-"can I borrow $20 until payday? And I'm stunned because some of these people are 45 and older and are having trouble managing their money. But what's even worst is when payday comes, the person who borrowed the money does not say a word about the money they borrowed from you. They act as if they never borrowed any money from you at all which is why my lending out days are over at the workplace.
Simply say no, or make up a white lie saying you too are short.

They're poor money management, or other financial problems, are not your business, after all.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Simply say no, or make up a white lie saying you too are short.

They're poor money management, or other financial problems, are not your business, after all.

That's the new plan. I think by treating so many different women coworkers to lunch some other coworkers think it's ok to borrow money. Those women were only treated to lunch because they did me a favor by going to get it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment