Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times

Advertisements

Before I expand on this topic, let me give you a little background info about me. In July of 2008, I started working my first post-college, entry-level job. Initially, as part of a probationary period, I was hired as a contractor. A few months later, I received a job offer from the city government, but my employer hired me directly and gave me a $4000/yr pay increase to match it. The President/HR Manager of the company told me some very promising things about my future with the company. She also emphasized how happy they were with my work. Needless to say, I was very excited.

So, 2009 rolls around and the Ops Manager told us over and over we'd be getting our performance review soon. Months passed, nothing happened. I also did not get a pay raise, but it didn't bother me too much since I just received one a few months earlier. Fast forward to July 2009. I requested a performance review from the Ops Manager (one year after I started), but he told me that they're done in the beginning of each year. I said okay and vowed to wait patiently until then.

Fast forward now to January 2010. It's early in the month, but there are absolutely no talks of performance reviews or pay raises. The frustration is starting to get to me. I have busted my hump trying to prove that I do excellent work and am fully capable of more than entry-level work. I've come in early, stayed late, worked plenty of overtime, volunteered for projects, etc. They even told me they're pleased with my work. Now all I'm left thinking is what is the point of this?!?!

Fortunately, I have a promising job interview next week with another company, so I'm not without some hope of a better opportunity. But is this considered the norm these days? The president of the company bragged about how well we're doing as a company despite the state of the economy, so I don't think they're buckling down.

To the folks that have been around the block a few times, what do you suggest I do? Do you think it's time to start looking for work elsewhere? Should I ask again for a performance review? Does this sound like a bad company or just poor management?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Managment is handing you a bucket of BS. Run while you can. The place is about to go belly up.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:54 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Hmmm, on the one hand, I'm always applying to other places to see what I can get. I think I always will. At this point, I'm open to anything as long as it keeps me moving forward.

On the other hand, before jumping ship, make sure you know what you're worth. You got a $4000 pay increase in 2008? That's actually pretty good given the state of the economy. Also consider what you've done to earn a raise. If you can't validate why you're worth more money, maybe you don't deserve a pay raise. Finally, are you gaining something a pay raise can't buy...like valuable experience and the chance to improve your skill set. I think the biggest lesson I've learned over my career so far, is that you have to keep moving forward--or be prepared to explain why you haven't.

All that being said, if the manager actually promised you a raise, then call them out on it.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Managment is handing you a bucket of BS. Run while you can. The place is about to go belly up.
I'm not sure I would go that far. They just finished flying us up to the headquarters in Chicago (we work in Denver) for our Christmas party. They've done this for the past five years.

My main concerns are as follows:

a) Making more money. I'm doing alright now on my current salary, but I'd like to make more so that I can live more comfortably and afford to save more for my future.

b) Moving up the corporate ladder. I'm glad I got a job after school, but what's next? I'd like to find out if there's anything I can do to improve my performance so that I can move up if a higher position opens up.

c) General discussion about my past performance, goals, and future with the company. As I mentioned above, the headquarters is based in Chicago, while I work in Denver at our client's headquarters. I don't have the luxury of walking in the manager's office anytime I'd like to discuss these things. A formal performance review seems to be the only time I can get sufficient face time with upper management. Unfortunately, I'm getting the impression that their mentality is out of sight, out of mind.

Last edited by mcb1025; 01-07-2010 at 01:26 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
On the other hand, before jumping ship, make sure you know what you're worth.
I've found this feat to be nearly impossible. I did a personal salary report on Salary.com and given my prior experience, education, and current geographical location, I should be be making about $5-$10k more per year. I've discussed this before on here, and people told me not to trust that data. So, I'm not sure which data to trust at this point.

Quote:
Also consider what you've done to earn a raise.
I pointed out in my OP some of the things I've done to prove that I'm an excellent worker. When I started, my knowledge of this particular industry was minimal. Since then, I've travelled across the country to perform inventory audits by myself, I've taken the initiative to resolve some procedural issues, I complete all the projects that are given to me accurately and on time...What else is there for me to do? I guess the real question is what constitutes a good enough performance for a raise?

Quote:
Finally, are you gaining something a pay raise can't buy...like valuable experience and the chance to improve your skill set.
It seems people just eat this word up, regardless of what you're getting experience in. I've learned some things from my experiences with this company, but I feel like I've plateaued at this point. I mean, it's your typical entry level job. A lot of the stuff I've done here, I already knew how to do. The tasks I'm expected to complete are becoming repetitive. I'm bored. I've asked for projects and when I do get something to do, it's usually pretty monotonous. So how valuable can this "experience" really be for me?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:00 PM

615 posts, read 1,692,932 times
Has there been any word at all on performance reviews for anyone? Just be direct with your boss. Tell him you've been working there a year and a half and you really want some feedback. Don't mention anything about a raise. If they are putting freezes on raises then they can tell you there or make some sort of announcement. Some companies just don't have a formal setup for performance reviews, only you can find that out.

I personally get the feeling you are getting way ahead of yourself. I understand you want some feedback on your performance but it also sounds like you want lots of pats on the back. That's not the way it works. In addition, I am sure you are aware of the state of the economy. Many, many companies are not only NOT giving any kind of pay raise but I have several friends with good jobs working for the same company for years that have received pay CUTS. Just be aware of all this. that is great that you have an interview now see if they actually offer you the job and what they actually offer you. Then you can see what your skills and experience can get you. Just don't get ahead of yourself.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:06 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
What is the climate of this organization right now? Are they in a period of growth? Are they struggling? What happened to the person who held your current position? Were they promoted? When was the last promotion? Does this company promote from within or do they go outside of the org? Is there an internal process to apply for jobs or does your manager simply recommend you? Finally, do you have your eye on a target position? If so, can you do it now or figure out how to get the training you'd need to do it? Finally, you seem to be having trouble getting face time with the decision makers. Have you considered joining a social committee or organizing something that might bring you in contact with the decision makers?

As far as what you've done to earn the raise----how have you contributed to bringing in money? Even though I'm not in sales (directly, anyway), I know how my contributions bring in money. Do you?

The way I see it, you have a couple of choices: 1) ask for a meeting with your immediate supervisor/manager and feel the person out. Ask them for advice on getting a promotion, etc. Tactfully/respectfully, etc. Of course, have a mental list of your biggest accomplishments. 2) continue to take the initiative and do more--making sure you stay visible 3) continue to look for another position.

Just a few of my thoughts--I'm not an expert, but I've seen a lot over the years.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
You haven't received a raise in a year and a half?

Boo hoo.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, as you have a job interview lined up.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
You haven't received a raise in a year and a half?

Boo hoo.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, as you have a job interview lined up.
Well, when you start at a lower entry level salary, you expect to earn more once you prove you can contribute to the company. That is, in fact, the way it works. Otherwise, where's the incentive to work hard, especially if you aren't even keeping up with inflation?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Get out if you can -- but the trend in this country now is toward lower wages and lay offs of Americans so work can be done out of the country for much cheaper. Lot of people are seeing wages stagnant, jobs cut, benefits cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment