Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:52 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times

Advertisements

For example a single person makes $30,000 per year and lives in Atlanta, GA. What would be that persons total tax percentage rate according to the IRS including state/fed taxes?

I'm trying to figure out the percentage so I can how imputed income will affect my friends salary since I will be using her Delta Airlines Flight privilages. They charge her imputed income onto her taxable salary which I can pay her back immediately If I figure out what her tax rate percentage is so I'm just trying to figure out If anyone can help me with that.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 07:54 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
For example a single person makes $30,000 per year and lives in Atlanta, GA. What would be that persons total tax percentage rate according to the IRS including state/fed taxes?

I'm trying to figure out the percentage so I can how imputed income will affect my friends salary since I will be using her Delta Airlines Flight privilages. They charge her imputed income onto her taxable salary which I can pay her back immediately If I figure out what her tax rate percentage is so I'm just trying to figure out If anyone can help me with that.

Thanks a bunch!
Tax rates are tiered.

For single filers making a total of $30k/yr you are looking at a federal rate of 15%.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:48 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Tax rates are tiered.

For single filers making a total of $30k/yr you are looking at a federal rate of 15%.
How would I include the state tax threshold into that equation to figure out the complete tax rate?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 AM

Looks like I found it About Georgia State Income Tax | eHow.com

Going to be 6%. for a total of 20% on her taxable income. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 01-13-2010 at 09:23 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 09:11 AM

Just an FYI typically a positive space ticket won't cost much more than a buddy pass these days because they input the "full fare" cost of that ticket. You pay quite a bit in tax. My wife and I travel for free on the US Air system and the last few times we've traveled we just buy a ticket. Not worth the aggravation. I have buddy passes but the way US Air figures their cost believe it or not positive space tickets can sometimes be had for as little as $10 more. I very rarely give out buddy passes.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 AM

I'm not flying positive space I'm the domestic partner of the employee and it's way cheaper. For example I think I just paid $180 to fly from LAX/SYD ($130 payroll deduct and 20% of the flight charged imputed income $252 which ended up being $50.40 for a grand total of $180.40). Which is cheaper than being a companion and doing the positive space or a buddy pass. I fly wherever I want to on Delta Airlines as a domestic partner of the employee. I think DAL and US Air work a bit differently but it's still fine with me. For a ATL/MIA leg it's about $9 round trip. Not bad at all and since it's not "ticketed" they don't charge taxes for domestic flights. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 AM

$252 for a LAX-SYD flight as imputed income? And you pay only 20% of that? That sounds quite low, I would've expected your 20% portion to be $252. I hope that is the case but just be forewarned typically imputed income is based off the full fare price of that ticket which I can't ever see being $252 on that flight.

Probably more like $1000.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:05 AM

Yes that is correct 20% of that was $50.40 then with the payroll deduction of $130 for a Grand Total of $180 for the flight round trip from LAX. Not bad at all. Actual buddy passes are much more expensive that employees can give out to friends, relatives etc. But for long flights to International Destinations If you can get on they are a a great deal as well. I wouldnt fly domestically on a buddy pass unless it was wide open too much hassle indeed but as a companion/spouse/domestic partner your priority is much higher and your the 1st to get on. I've seen buddy pass people stuck in Hawaii for 4-5 days at a time.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,521 times
Will you explain to me what positive space is? My late husband was a US Airways pilot so I used to have standby benefits but I have never heard of positive space? And the payroll deduction, what is that all about?

I'm just curious as to how the benefits work now.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
$252 for a LAX-SYD flight as imputed income? And you pay only 20% of that? That sounds quite low, I would've expected your 20% portion to be $252. I hope that is the case but just be forewarned typically imputed income is based off the full fare price of that ticket which I can't ever see being $252 on that flight.

Probably more like $1000.
Yes It is quite low and I'm happy for that...Glad I'm on DAL!!! here is more info for Delta Airlines only don't know anything else about US AIR.

Travel for domestic partners/same sex spouses and their pass-eligible dependent children are handled as “imputed income.”
This means that they are not treated the same as Travel Companions and it is not necessary to pay the yield fare and taxes when booking a trip via TravelNet. Instead, the fair market value (i.e., the base yield fare) is reported as taxable income to the employee.
(International travel and security fees and taxes applicable to all pass travelers are applicable and will be collected via payroll deduction.)
Since yield fare tickets are not required for travel (no revenue collection), when a reservation is made on TravelNet for a domestic partner/same sex spouse or his or her eligible child, you will not be prompted to enter a form of payment to complete the reservation. Any international airport arrival/departure taxes and fees will be collected as they are for other non-ticketed eligible pass riders. Active employees’ international fees and airport arrival/departure taxes are collected through payroll deduction and inactive employees are billed through Accounts Receivable.
The imputed income for domestic partner travel isn’t currently displayed on TravelNet; however, it is expected to be available in a future release. To calculate the imputed income for domestic partner’s travel, multiply the miles flown by the following factors. For domestic travel, multiply the number of miles by $0.036; for international $0.0262; and for travel to or from Alaska or Hawaii, $0.0166.

Examples of the yield fare and the imputed income are included below as a comparison:
Travel Companion Yield Fare Ticket (Domestic) Domestic Partner/Same Sex Spouse Imputed Income Nonrev Travel (Domestic)
Atlanta – Miami round trip
$42.80 Base Yield Fare
$15.01 Departure / Arrival / Security taxes / fees
$57.87 TOTAL YIELD FARE Atlanta – Miami round trip

$42.80 Base Yield Fare reported as taxable income to the employee and subject to applicable tax withholding and FICA taxes.
Departure/Arrival/Security taxes or fees are not applied to non-ticketed domestic travel.
For someone with a total tax rate of, for example, 30%, this means the ultimate cost of that trip will now be just under $13 – more than 75% less than today’s cost. The impact for each participant and each trip will differ based on individual tax rates.
Travel Companion Yield Fare Ticket (Domestic) Domestic Partner/Same Sex Spouse Imputed Income Nonrev Travel (Domestic)
Atlanta – Zurich round trip
$246.00 Base Yield Fare
$ 80.75 Intl. Travel and Security taxes/fees
$326.75 TOTAL YIELD FARE

Detail – Intl. Travel and Security taxes/fees
• YC $ 5.50 Customs User Fee
• XY $ 7.00 Immigration Inspection Fee
• XA $ 5.00 APHIS Fee
• CH $30.55 Switzerland Departure Tax
• AY $ 2.50 Sept 11th Security Fee
• US $30.20 Intl. Departures/Arrivals Tax
$80.75 Total Intl. Travel and Security taxes/fees Atlanta – Zurich round trip
$246.00 Base Yield Fare reported as taxable income to the employee and subject to applicable tax withholding and FICA taxes.
International Travel and Security taxes/fees are Payroll deducted or billed to the employee. Some taxes/fees do not apply if there is no fare charged and no ticket:
• YC $ 5.50 Customs User Fee
• XY $ 7.00 Immigration Inspection Fee
• XA $ 5.00 APHIS Fee
• CH $30.55 Switzerland Departure Tax
$48.05 Total Intl. Travel Fees/Taxes Payroll Deducted Or Billed To The Employee
The following taxes do not apply because no fare was paid for the travel and there is no ticket.
• AY $ 2.50 Sept 11th Security Fee
• US $30.20 Intl. Departures/Arrivals Tax
For someone with a total tax rate of, for example 30%, this means the ultimate cost of that trip will now be just over $120 – more than 60% less than today’s cost. The impact for each participant and each trip will differ based on individual tax rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment