Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,886,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If half of the people sucking up tax payer funded social services had been more intelligent with their personal finances we'd all be paying a lot less in taxes.
I don't agree with this statement. We are entitled to vote for our representatives whose "job" is to enact policy that we agree with. I don't see how we(the employed) can point our finger at excessive social service funding when "we" greatly outnumber those that are unemployed or underemployed. It's up to "us" to vote intelligently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
How does one define 'morons getting bailed out?'

I am not 'smart enough' or 'with it' to understand finances apparently, but
1. Mary has a job making 200 bucks a week. Cannot save, it's a minimum wage job and she has to pay food, rent, gas which go up. She works shift work so she CANNOT take night classes/day classes to better herself. She never knows when the boss will want her to work and doesn't have extras for 'classes.'
She finds a way to lower her living costs, either by getting a roommate or moving to a cheaper place. She uses programs like Angel Food Ministries to cut her food budget. She takes her classes online on her schedule.

A single person making minimum wage is bringing home at least $800 a month. Renting a room at $75 a week plus $100/mo in utlities leaves $400. With careful shopping groceries come to $120 a month. Other misc. expenses like gas and oil changes come to $200 a month or less. Take $30 a month for pocket money, and there is $50 a month left for savings.

Quote:
2. Recession comes and Mary loses her job and her benefits.
Which is why she's been saving each month.

Quote:
3. Mary cannot get another job because THERE AREN'T any for her skill set.
Which is why she's been taking those online classes.

Quote:
4. Mary needs help because her minimal wage job NEVER afforded her a chance to save very much.
See above.

Quote:
5. She gets help with medical benefits now from the state and unemployment.

Is SHE a moron?
In your scenario, yes.

Quote:
Case #2--

Mike has worked 20 years for Conglomo. He's saved a bit, but it's hard with 3 kids and a mortgage. His wife worked part time at Save and Shop Mart but they let her go because she missed a few days when Mike Jr. got the flu and there was no one else to stay home with him.
Don't have kids you can't afford and don't buy a house you can't afford. This one's a no brainer. And Mike should have used some of his vacation days to stay home with the kid. Oh, too bad, they won't be able to take the trip to Disney World this year.

Quote:
Mike is 50 years old and guess what, Conglomo says it's time to cut people making over X amount of money. Mike gets laid off. Now he AND his wife are out of work.

They have to apply for benefits or 'help.' Are THEY morons?

Just who are these morons?
Again, yes, in that scenario they are morons. See my comments as to why.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:53 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,314,489 times
Quote:
Not all employers expolit their workers. In fact the majority of them don't.
Maybe in a good economy. But I'll tell ya what. If you're so confident in this statement, PM me the name of your company, your title, and your supervisor's name and number.

In turn, I'll contact your supervisor and I'll tell him/her that I'll do your job for 10% less than what you're currently making. I'll explain to him/her that even though I may not have as much experience as you, I'm a very quick learner. I'll explain to him/her that my skills are as good, or better, than your current skills and I'm nearly half your age. In addition, since I'm nearly half your age, I'll bring to his/her attention that it will cost far less to insure me. I will work hard to prove myself even if it means working hours and hours of overtime. I'll also reassure him/her that since I'm younger, that I can be molded specifically for the position, whereas any older worker will likely be hardened in his/her stubborn ways.

If you accept my challenge, please PM the information I requested.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I don't agree with this statement. We are entitled to vote for our representatives whose "job" is to enact policy that we agree with. I don't see how we(the employed) can point our finger at excessive social service funding when "we" greatly outnumber those that are unemployed or underemployed. It's up to "us" to vote intelligently.
Don't ask me--I vote fiscally conservative as long as they stay out of my bedroom and doctors office.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Maybe in a good economy. But I'll tell ya what. If you're so confident in this statement, PM me the name of your company, your title, and your supervisor's name and number.

In turn, I'll contact your supervisor and I'll tell him/her that I'll do your job for 10% less than what you're currently making. I'll explain to him/her that even though I may not have as much experience as you, I'm a very quick learner. I'll explain to him/her that my skills are as good, or better, than your current skills and I'm nearly half your age. In addition, since I'm nearly half your age, I'll bring to his/her attention that it will cost far less to insure me. I will work hard to prove myself even if it means working hours and hours of overtime. I'll also reassure him/her that since I'm younger, that I can be molded specifically for the position, whereas any older worker will likely be hardened in his/her stubborn ways.

If you accept my challenge, please PM the information I requested.
You couldn't do my job, I guarantee it. I have a very, very broad skillsest and use all of the skills. (I/T, graphic design, marketing, public relations and marketing communication, paralegal, and insurance industry.) My boss doesn't want to teach someone how to do it--he wanted someone who could job in and begin making/saving him money from day one. That's why he hired me--and just gave me a bonus that I didn't ask for. He doesn't want a younger employee, he wanted someone who had a lot of experience in various disciplines.

Oh, and it costs nothing to insure me--I don't have health insurance throgh my employer.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,054,854 times
Quote:
BINGO!

By the way, I'm not looking for a roommate and not in financial need of one. If half of the people sucking up tax payer funded social services had been more intelligent with their personal finances we'd all be paying a lot less in taxes.

I'm not an expert on money--never claimed to be, but I sure seem to have a better grip on my personal finances than a lot of others do.

You are an a---hole.

BINGO

Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,314,489 times
Quote:
You couldn't do my job, I guarantee it.
Great! Then there's nothing for you to worry about. I'll be waiting patiently for the info.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Great! Then there's nothing for you to worry about. I'll be waiting patiently for the info.
I'm not stupid enough to give some lunatic stalker from the Internet my personal information. Tell you what--you PM me your resume and I'll pass it on.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
You are an a---hole.

BINGO
People resort to name calling when they want to have the last word and can't give any further valid arguement on their point.

With that attitude it's no wonder you don't ahve a job.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:07 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,389,323 times
Quote:
She finds a way to lower her living costs, either by getting a roommate or moving to a cheaper place. She uses programs like Angel Food Ministries to cut her food budget. She takes her classes online on her schedule.
Here we go with assumptions. What is she never heard of this Angel Food Ministries? I haven't? And what if she doesn't own a computer? My parents never did.

Quote:
Which is why she's been saving each month.
Which could also subsequently deplete all she's saved, forcing her to start over.

Quote:
Which is why she's been taking those online classes.
What online classes without a computer? And whose to assume everyone can take online classes. I did and loved it but I know many people that thrive in classroom environments and didn't do well with the online format. We are talking about an older person here who probably isn't very tech savvy. Or I guess she should have been?

Quote:
Don't have kids you can't afford and don't buy a house you can't afford.
Really, who can afford kids? But let's assume that he was in good financial standing when the kids were concieved, al kinds of things, like job losses can accure that can change that financial stability. Same thing applies with the mortgage. Who is to say what you'll be able to afford years down the road? We don't know, we can only plan and hope for the best.

But then even then, things can happen that can turn that all around.

In an ideal world everyone would have the same educations and capabilities to do what is needed to do to ensure their futures. If this was so, we'd ALL be on our way to comfy retirements with 5-figure accounts socked away. But its not. Life just doesn't work out that way. Some will have more and some less, much less despite their actions.

I personally don't think the ones with less are "morons", but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment