Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:46 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

I was speaking to someone today I know as a vague acquaintance. I won't put in any details but she's around 60 and had what is a good 'service job' but was recently let go.

I'm not sure why. Could be office politics. Could be someone else knows someone younger for the job.

She's has no hard skills to fall back on (mainly done service work/c.s. work). The job she had was giving her training and benefits which she needs being 'partly disabled.'

Now she has 'nothing.' And here it is so hard to find anything over a service (retail/food service) job and that means minimum wage and standing for hours if you can get that. (who can live on this IF you do get this type job?)

She needs a sit down job but will not be able to get one in a million years IMO.

I feel so bad for her. It's hard enough to be 40 something and out of work. But 60 something with 'no training' in any desk skills whatsoever.

Sometimes the world is very screwed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I was speaking to someone today I know as a vague acquaintance. I won't put in any details but she's around 60 and had what is a good 'service job' but was recently let go.

I'm not sure why. Could be office politics. Could be someone else knows someone younger for the job.

She's has no hard skills to fall back on (mainly done service work/c.s. work). The job she had was giving her training and benefits which she needs being 'partly disabled.'

Now she has 'nothing.' And here it is so hard to find anything over a service (retail/food service) job and that means minimum wage and standing for hours if you can get that. (who can live on this IF you do get this type job?)

She needs a sit down job but will not be able to get one in a million years IMO.

I feel so bad for her. It's hard enough to be 40 something and out of work. But 60 something with 'no training' in any desk skills whatsoever.

Sometimes the world is very screwed up.
The world isn't screwed up. The world is an economic machine. She had training opportunities, right? She saved her money for retirement, right? She lives within her means, right? She has the opportunity to relocate for other employment opportunities and/or lower cost of living, right?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 AM

Unfortunately Charles, the situation is not that easy. She has family responsibilities here and can't just take off and leave. How about a little compassion?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:01 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Unfortunately Charles, the situation is not that easy. She has family responsibilities here and can't just take off and leave. How about a little compassion?
We're here to help on this Employment forum.

Not trying to be unkind, but I think people get into an inflexible mindset "I can't...".

Why can't she just leave? Isn't she 60? She still has kids under 18 to take care of? People relocate all the time. It's an adventure. (I don't know her personal situation so sure, there may be extreme situation which would make relocating worse than being unemployed and on welfare.)

Relocating doesn't necessarily mean selling the house. It could mean moving somewhere temporarily, renting a room, and drawing a paycheck until something can be found in the home town.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:11 AM

It's a case of elderly and sickly parents, sadly.

Also, she is frightened of moving (she is single) anywhere there might be jobs like a big city because she's a small town woman and only knows 'this type life.'

So, I think she's in for a long stint of unemployment. I'm trying to get out of here myself in the next few months because even with skills, there are few jobs here. I don't want to be 60 something some day and still be longing for 'a job in McDonald's' as my best chance at employment.

Thank you for your comments. I just found the conversation with this lady yet another reason why rural living is not for me.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Do you have any call centers up in your neck of the world?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The world isn't screwed up. The world is an economic machine. She had training opportunities, right? She saved her money for retirement, right? She lives within her means, right? She has the opportunity to relocate for other employment opportunities and/or lower cost of living, right?
A "partly disabled" 60 year old woman loses her job and this is your reply?

Alot of women who are 60 years old didn't go to college. They took care of their families and believed that they would be married until death do us part.

Yep, at 60, she should sell her house (if she has one) and move somewhere to look for a low paying retail job. Great idea.

I have no idea how old you are but what if this was your own mother or grandmother in this situation???

YOU are a perfect example of what's wrong with our capitalist society.

What's wrong with you?

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-21-2010 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
What's wrong with you?
In a true capitalistic society, people would be rewarded for their hard work, dedication, and integrity. Unfortunately, these days, they are simply exploited.

Folks who support capitalism need to realize that this is not the perfect little Ayn Rand world that we'd like it to be.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
At the age of 60 she can withdraw from her IRA and/or 401K to survive until she can collect SS. Doesn't have one? Shame on her! Had she started an IRA 35 years ago and contributed only $20 a week, she would now have over $100K, even based on a very conservative investment strategy with no risk. (Bonds, money markets, etc.)

Frankly I have a hard time having sympathy for people who don't take classes to improve their careers or who don't save for their future. While I have empathy for the woman, I have zero sympathy--she really created her own problems by not taking any responsibility towards planning for her future.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:56 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
In a true capitalistic society, people would be rewarded for their hard work, dedication, and integrity. Unfortunately, these days, they are simply exploited.

Folks who support capitalism need to realize that this is not the perfect little Ayn Rand world that we'd like it to be.
I can't rep you again but consider yourself repped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment