Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:16 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
If you do quit, don't tell your boss you used to be great and now you can't. That would be embarrassing.

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
In the period of just one year, you went from unsettled to smoking hot to lost your groove? So you were really only good at your job for a few months or weeks? And you've been in this 'ebb' as you call it, for only a few weeks or months and you are ready to give up?

Quitting the minute you aren't 'winning', quitting the minute things get tough--just about the worst quality I can imagine in an employee, in a business leader. So yes, I think your reasoning is flawed.

Stick around and figure out how to turn a negative into a positive. That is what winners do. That is what business owners do. That is what leaders do.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
In the period of just one year, you went from unsettled to smoking hot to lost your groove? So you were really only good at your job for a few months or weeks? And you've been in this 'ebb' as you call it, for only a few weeks or months and you are ready to give up?

Quitting the minute you aren't 'winning', quitting the minute things get tough--just about the worst quality I can imagine in an employee, in a business leader. So yes, I think your reasoning is flawed.

Stick around and figure out how to turn a negative into a positive. That is what winners do. That is what business owners do. That is what leaders do.
How?

Old 02-04-2010, 04:24 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Dude, seriously. It's a free country, you can quit and go down the road kicking a can if that's what you are resolved to do, but I think you should at least try to fix the job you have, since the next job may be quite some time appearing.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:35 PM

I don't think I can get my groove back. It may seem like a defeatist attitude, but I'm lost for a solution.

I think it is best I resign, and i'm seriously considering telling my boss I can't hack it again. If it seems weak, so be it, and if he deems it weak, so be it also. I deem it a strength, since I feel strong enough to admit something is not going for me.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:27 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I don't think I can get my groove back. It may seem like a defeatist attitude, but I'm lost for a solution.

I think it is best I resign, and i'm seriously considering telling my boss I can't hack it again. If it seems weak, so be it, and if he deems it weak, so be it also. I deem it a strength, since I feel strong enough to admit something is not going for me.

So this is your best solution? The going gets tough so you feel it best to quit rather than man up and work through it?

You think this is a strength? Quitting? Really?

What happens next job and something gets tough? Quit again? you would most likely have to quit again since you would not have any skills to cope since you don't even try.

Then you end up multiple jobs in a short span and prospective employeers will be wary of hiring you because your track record shows that you won't be there very long. You might land some temp jobs at best at that point.

Myself, i don't consider quitting to be a strength. To me a strength would be admitting the fact that you are having trouble, finding a solution and working through it, therefore becoming a better person and a better employee.

This is america though and you are free to be a quitter at any time lol It would help someone unemployed though and give the non quitter a chance at a job!

Old 02-05-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
So this is your best solution? The going gets tough so you feel it best to quit rather than man up and work through it?

You think this is a strength? Quitting? Really?

What happens next job and something gets tough? Quit again? you would most likely have to quit again since you would not have any skills to cope since you don't even try.

Then you end up multiple jobs in a short span and prospective employeers will be wary of hiring you because your track record shows that you won't be there very long. You might land some temp jobs at best at that point.

Myself, i don't consider quitting to be a strength. To me a strength would be admitting the fact that you are having trouble, finding a solution and working through it, therefore becoming a better person and a better employee.

This is america though and you are free to be a quitter at any time lol It would help someone unemployed though and give the non quitter a chance at a job!
I don't know how to work through it.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Since you say you don't have to pay for shelter and don't really need a job badly and you seem determined to quit, perhaps you should because eventually I assume you WILL need to pay for shelter, etc. all on your own, so maybe it is better you boost your studies to full time NOW while you can and get the degree you want which will hopefully someday lead to the type of work you want to do.

The only other thing I would advise is look into your college/university student health plan because even with the temporary help from the government, paying for COBRA can be very expensive.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:11 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Reminds me of something my old man used to say....

The only way he'll get his education is in the School of Hard Knocks!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post

When it's time for you to search for a new job, you will be depending upon a good reference from your current employer. If you are determined to quit (which is an very unwise move in this economy when employers are demanding work experience and frown upon gaps in employment), end on a good note and not a weak note. If the last impression you leave with your boss is of weakness, you might not get that great of a reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment