Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:15 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,032,420 times

Advertisements

My employer does not even offer health insurance, been without for over a year now, couldn't afford cobra from my last job.

Employers do not have to offer insurance, even if required to pay 50% of premium, at my age , that would be a huge chunk of my check!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 07:25 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadley831 View Post

I agree that there is something wrong with our health care system when so many millions of people can't afford health care insurance, and therefore can't get their medical needs met. It hurts our country.
The answer is that it's time to take the burden of health care off the backs of business (a weird accident of fate to begin with as I have explained in other C-D threads that is now an anachronism) just like the rest of the industrialized world has.

What I think is the funniest argument are those on the right who say no government health care, then they argue that part of their reason is to protect cuts in Medicare. Well Medicare is government health care right, so shouldn't Republicans fight against that too?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
And what mandatory health insurance laws would those be? The fact is that private employers are NOT mandated by American law to provide ANY employee with health insurance, whether full time or part time.
They would be the ones states enact. Not 'American law'.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
What happens when all of your money goes to insurance coverage? You die from starvation or lose your house.

I don't know what the answer to the problem is but sacrificing your home and life to carry insurance is not the answer.
I know someone who's very close to being in that exact situation... their home or their health insurance.

It's a fact of life for many Americans.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:05 AM

68 posts, read 162,668 times
I cancelled my Health Ins. about 8 years ago when I had a full-time job.It just became too much to pay for and keep myself afloat.
But now that I'm in my 50's I'm more worried about not having health insurance.I still go to my dr's once a year for a physical and blood work up and just pay out of pocket.
It's the only way for me to keep tabs on my health and hope nothing serious happens or arises.
Only working part-time I couldn't afford to pay for health insurance on my own.Even if I worked full time I wouldn't be able to afford over $600 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment