Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:27 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've never had a problem taking a phone call from the office on my day off. If it got to the point where they were calling every hour, I might. But one call to ask a quick question, I really don't see a problem with that.

Of course that's also one of the reasons I've gone a long way up the corporate ladder. I'm not seen as difficult but rather cooperative.
This is exactly how the job I was at was like. It bugged my wife a bit, but as long as it was quick and not disruptive, I didn't have a problem. And I lasted there 15 years.

TVSG, I do feel your rant, but I'd have a lot more sympathy for you if you didn't have all these complaints in other threads that put down the unemployed as "lazy" no matter what and also with ultra-conservative views that are the most anti-worker/employee that I've seen. I honestly, based on some of your posts, find it quite ironic that you're complaining about how unfairly you're being treated by your employer (and I honestly do think they shouldn't bother you on your day off). You don't like it, join the ranks of the unemployed and see what that's like since you so often act like you know it all about the world of work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I always tell staff to call me on my days off, if they run short of help, if someone calls in sick, they need someone to work an extra shift.

I always keep a list of excuses, to choose from, near my phone as to why I can't come on my days off, but I take sadistic pleasure in hearing them being so short of help, it makes my days off more enjoyable.

Little do they know, it would take nothing less than a tow truck to get me to come in.

I work in a back-breaking long-term care facility!

Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
This is exactly how the job I was at was like. It bugged my wife a bit, but as long as it was quick and not disruptive, I didn't have a problem. And I lasted there 15 years.

TVSG, I do feel your rant, but I'd have a lot more sympathy for you if you didn't have all these complaints in other threads that put down the unemployed as "lazy" no matter what and also with ultra-conservative views that are the most anti-worker/employee that I've seen. I honestly, based on some of your posts, find it quite ironic that you're complaining about how unfairly you're being treated by your employer (and I honestly do think they shouldn't bother you on your day off). You don't like it, join the ranks of the unemployed and see what that's like since you so often act like you know it all about the world of work!
No I only put down unemployed people who are NEGATIVE. And i was unemployed last year and know what it's like and woke up every morning during my unemployed period saying

"what can I do today that other unemployed people are not doing?

NOT

"Why are so many people getting jobs except me?"

Old 02-17-2010, 07:35 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,619 times
Yeah that's a bit much but maybe they just miss ya.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
We are really going to have to talk about this when I return tomorrow because it makes no sense that a bunch of adukts can take care of a situation while I'm not there.

The one thing that makes this situation different is whoever called did not leave a message but regardless I don';t want to see my company on my caller id period. This is really getting sickening.

Steamed Guy in Philly
The boss invited the crew to happy hour/dinner at Morton's and thought you would like to join them. Sorry you could not make it.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:03 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Hey - it shows they need you at the job. Would you rather be too busy and be indespensible or not busy enough and be the first person to go during the next round of layoffs?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
So you got a call from work - but don't know who its from and find it extremely annoying because the call took place during a day off......?

Perhaps you need to take a deep breath and realize that maybe the person that called forgot you were off. Yea - I know you sent an email.... but if this is standard practice where everyone emails out their day off it would be pretty easy to lose track. That's why people have out of office messages....

And whether or not they can handle things while you're gone is also based on how well you prepared them.... so you have 50% of that accountability too.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
No offense, but I don't see what the problem is of taking a call from work on your day off as long as it's not excessive. I've taken calls and even gone on conference calls while I was on vacation before. Can it be extreme? Sure. But that's what my job requires and it's up to me to determine how successful I want to be. I don't work to have a job, I work to build a career - and to build a successful career, you need to work hard. Reality is, if you only want to do the bare minimum to keep your job, then you will not grow. If your happy doing exactly what your doing for the next 20 years, then that's fine. Unfortunately, that is not me.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:53 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
With our technological advances, it's getting harder and harder to separate work from play.

If you have an anticipated holiday or scheduled time off, make it clear before you leave that you may be delayed in returning calls. If you do not wish to receive calls, make that clear as well.

If you are an hourly employee and are receiving work calls while on your days off, allow your supervisor the prior knowledge that you will now track that time and claim it on your time record. Most are o-k with this and if they are not, then don't take the calls or make the return calls.

Complaining about your work is unproductive and may add to your overall dis-satisfaction with your position. Simply lay down the ground work for what you will and will not do, pre-disclose your turnaround time on calls outside your hours and be sure you get paid for them. Do that, and there's nothing to complain about.

Most people complain because they are too intimidated to bring the situation to the attention of superiors and co-workers. It's worth the effort to bring any small hiccup in your work life to light... It makes you a better employee and them better supervisors.

Last edited by Robinstyler; 02-18-2010 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-18-2010, 09:18 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,976,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Hey - it shows they need you at the job. Would you rather be too busy and be indespensible or not busy enough and be the first person to go during the next round of layoffs?
Or perhaps it shows that the OP made an error that needed to be corrected, or that something that should have been easily locatable had gone missing, etc.

There are numerous reasons why someone can be called while away from the office -- not all of them are because he/she is so indispensable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment