Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,899,078 times

Advertisements

Long story short: A lot of the black co-workers have been e-mailing several departments in regards to black history month. Now it's been all about having a, and I quote, "Black History Feast".

This seems awkward and it seems like a form of segregation.
I'm just curious as to what other people think?

But let me guess; I am racist because I think it's inappropriate. ::waits for it::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 02:46 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
So you're sitting on top of the powder keg and holding a lit match.

What WILL you do?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:47 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,387,249 times
What would the "feast" entail? Just a meal for black people? That would be inappropriate? Or one for all? Are they willing to organize it?

I guess one problem that could arise from this is if you allow them to have this, other groups might want their own. Whose going to split the bill for this?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
These types of diversity activities are there to make everyone feel inclusive and to show a company's customer (especially if the customer is the government) that the company is hiring all "voters".

These things aren't hurting anyone. Don't sweat the small stuff. Life is too short to worry about piddly corporate policies.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:51 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,772,155 times
Yeah, so what? Don't worry about it.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:56 PM

I agree. It's not a big deal, but there's something about it that seems a bit offensive.
I don't know. I mean, it's like there's a reason why we have "Holiday Parties" at work and not "Christmas Parties". I just think it falls along those lines.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,691,684 times
I don't really see how this is offensive in the slightest way. My work place has 'diversity circles' that often put on events that are probably similar to this.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:10 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,915,728 times
Quote:
My work place has 'diversity circles' that often put on events that are probably similar to this.
I think if it is a culture of diversity and the 'feast' is but one part of it, that is fine.

But a single event devoted to one aspect of the office culture is not diversity. Any more than if this feast were for white history or asian history or first nations history while ignoring all the rest.

Now if this is just a group of people in the office organizing their own event on their own time and their own dime, that is another matter.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I think if it is a culture of diversity and the 'feast' is but one part of it, that is fine.

But a single event devoted to one aspect of the office culture is not diversity. Any more than if this feast were for white history or asian history or first nations history while ignoring all the rest.

Now if this is just a group of people in the office organizing their own event on their own time and their own dime, that is another matter.
It's the latter. It's just a very large group---honestly it's (almost) every black employee here that is getting involved with this. They passed around a sheet to sign if you were going to bring anything in. One of my (white) co-workers said "Oh, no thank you" and he got dirty looks.. lol

Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,096,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
It's the latter. It's just a very large group---honestly it's (almost) every black employee here that is getting involved with this. They passed around a sheet to sign if you were going to bring anything in. One of my (white) co-workers said "Oh, no thank you" and he got dirty looks.. lol
What's the big deal? A feast is celebrated by many, many cultures --simply a gathering of folks, everyone bringing food, and sitting as a group and celebrating a time together. It's for a celebration; holiday or special event or just enjoying the time together. It's a community thing.

I thought maybe you weren't invited but evidently the white folks are invited. So why is it an issue? I think it's great that they're getting together as a group; I've seen too many offices where people never get together for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment