Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:35 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieCo2009 View Post
The phrase that hurts my feelings is "well...I know I (he/she) will be the last one out the door. My/their company will never lay me/them off." I spent 20 years being valued and treasured, to the extent of being pulled aside during prior layoffs and told, don't worry, you are fine. But management changes, the wonderful colleagues and managers who valued you get fired or are laid off. Company philosophies change....but you can't explain that to someone so complacent.

So the unstated in my mind is that well, since I was laid off, I must not be as valuable an employee.

Intellectually, I know this isn't true, but emotionally, it hurts.

Now that I'm working again, at least I don't have to hear "how's the job search?...did you get a job yet?"

Julie :0)

I stopped talking to certain people who constantly asked me-"how's the job search going? Even after I found a job because it was a stupid question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I stopped talking to certain people who constantly asked me-"how's the job search going? Even after I found a job because it was a stupid question.
I think for the most part there are some people in this world that feel it is their right to question and know everything there is to know about someone else. I for one can't understand how some people are so nosy. I feel that if I want someone to know something, I would tell them. Some people are just so nosy you wonder if they have their own lives to worry about.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:00 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I think for the most part there are some people in this world that feel it is their right to question and know everything there is to know about someone else. I for one can't understand how some people are so nosy. I feel that if I want someone to know something, I would tell them. Some people are just so nosy you wonder if they have their own lives to worry about.
Exactly, they were stupid to know that if something changed that I would have told them.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:09 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
Quote:
Exactly, they were stupid to know that if something changed that I would have told them.
You have some good strategies, and since it landed you a job, that says something.

While I agree with some of the comments here (asking about having a job yet), I have to disagree with staying positive as something you're sick of hearing. Anyone who thinks that way is unemployed for a reason. No one will hire someone with a negative attitude.

Last edited by LexWest; 03-21-2010 at 02:20 PM..

Old 03-21-2010, 02:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
You have some good strategies, and since it landed you a job, that says something.

While I agree with some of the comments here (asking bout having a job yet), I have to disagree with staying positive as something you're sick of hearing. Anyone that thinks unwilling to stay positive is unemployed for a reason. No one will hire someone with a negative attitude.
Exactly, I would do things like

play happy music
watch sports
watch tv comedy

All three of those things kep my spirits up which eventually led to a job.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:21 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
Quote:

While I agree with some of the comments here (asking about having a job yet), I have to disagree with staying positive as something you're sick of hearing. No one wants to hire someone with a negative attitude.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieCo2009 View Post
The phrase that hurts my feelings is "well...I know I (he/she) will be the last one out the door. My/their company will never lay me/them off." I spent 20 years being valued and treasured, to the extent of being pulled aside during prior layoffs and told, don't worry, you are fine. But management changes, the wonderful colleagues and managers who valued you get fired or are laid off. Company philosophies change....but you can't explain that to someone so complacent.

So the unstated in my mind is that well, since I was laid off, I must not be as valuable an employee.

Intellectually, I know this isn't true, but emotionally, it hurts.

Now that I'm working again, at least I don't have to hear "how's the job search?...did you get a job yet?"

Julie :0)
I think someone saying such a thing has far, far more to do with squelching their own anxiety about the real possibility that they could lose their job than it has to do with you, just as what you are thinking about not being valuable has zero to do with what they said.

I do think it's kind of thoughtless for someone who has a job to say "I'll never get laid off" to someone who has been laid off, though, no matter how much they are trying to protect themselves emotionally.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:24 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
In this economy...
Be lucky you have a job
It's rough out there

Any others?
Yes I hate this also! I'm finding that my superiors are saying this every time they cut our pay or pile on extra crap for us to do. The employment rate is ~90% or so, I don't consider myself lucky to have a job.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
"Unemployed for a reason- no one wants to hire a negative attitude."
Another thing I bet people are sick of hearing. They probably didn't start out with a negative attitude but being unemployed and desperate and having to still get out there probably doesn't do much for anyone's personality. That doesn't mean they lump into interviews and whine. It does mean that being told by people around you to "stay positive" and thinking that person is unemployed because of attitude, well, that's just plain cruel. If there are about six applicants for every job, there *is* a reason that people are unemployed- *because there's no job to get.*

Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
"Unemployed for a reason- no one wants to hire a negative attitude."
Another thing I bet people are sick of hearing. They probably didn't start out with a negative attitude but being unemployed and desperate and having to still get out there probably doesn't do much for anyone's personality. That doesn't mean they lump into interviews and whine. It does mean that being told by people around you to "stay positive" and thinking that person is unemployed because of attitude, well, that's just plain cruel. If there are about six applicants for every job, there *is* a reason that people are unemployed- *because there's no job to get.*
I agree brightdoglover.

And apparently no one wants to hire a "positive" attitude either. I know of several happy go lucky people STILL out of work, but I know of more that have a negative attitude and they have a job. Go figure. So much for employers not wanting to hire a negative attitude.......There are companies FULL of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment