Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:18 PM

397 posts, read 1,400,215 times

Advertisements

If you have any doubts don't do it- find a trade, be a teacher, or a nurse, or something. Think its a ticket to a job? its a ticket to coping. Sure there are plenty of people who don't have a problem with it, but if you aren't one of them, please resconsider. You only have one life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,726 times
I'll second that. I used to think a 4 year degree was the only way to success and making a great living. Well, not only does it suck your soul dry sitting behind a computer all day, you really don't end up making much more money than somebody specializing in a trade. Especially since most people can market their own trade skills and start their own business. 4 year college is overrated and overpriced.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:05 PM

677 posts, read 1,621,179 times
Good advice. It sucks that we're all told that the standard formula for success is high school -> college -> career -> marriage -> family -> retirement -> death. That doesn't work for everyone.

I envy people who know what they want to do with their lives early on. I think that one reason that many people fall into the college/professional life "trap" is because they think it's necessary (all the high school propaganda for college is ridiculous) and that at least by the end they'll have something to show for it-degree, money, etc. I'm in this category right now and am really on the fence about going back next semester. I probably won't unless I have an absolute clear imagine in my mind of what I'm going for.

Great thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
If you have any doubts don't do it- find a trade, be a teacher, or a nurse, or something. Think its a ticket to a job? its a ticket to coping. Sure there are plenty of people who don't have a problem with it, but if you aren't one of them, please resconsider. You only have one life.
A teacher and a nurse are professionals.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Good advice. It sucks that we're all told that the standard formula for success is high school -> college -> career -> marriage -> family -> retirement -> death. That doesn't work for everyone.

I envy people who know what they want to do with their lives early on. I think that one reason that many people fall into the college/professional life "trap" is because they think it's necessary (all the high school propaganda for college is ridiculous) and that at least by the end they'll have something to show for it-degree, money, etc. I'm in this category right now and am really on the fence about going back next semester. I probably won't unless I have an absolute clear imagine in my mind of what I'm going for.

Great thread
For every college educated person that wishes he didn't go to college, there are 69 non-college educated people who wish they had.

It's easier for a college educated person to find a job that doesn't require a college education than it is for a non college educated person to find a job that requires a college education.

As far as college is concerned, it depends on the major. Which will result in more lifetime earnings, Art History from Harvard, or Electrical Engineering from Cal State Northridge?

Old 02-23-2010, 04:09 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
As far as college is concerned, it depends on the major. Which will result in more lifetime earnings, Art History from Harvard, or Electrical Engineering from Cal State Northridge?
AGAIN--not everyone is scientifically/math/health care inclined/motivated.

We NEED our Art History majors in this culture just as much as our math geeks. (no offense).
It's a mark of a CIVILIZED culture to have time for art, music, and so forth.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
While I agree with Gypsy, I also think that people need to be relaistic about their EARNING POTENTIAL based on their career choice.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:10 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,665 times
We might need some Art History majors, just not as many as we have. Remember the Bud Light 'Real Men of Genius' campaign, "Fancy Coffee Shop Coffee Pourer"

"What do you do with a Masters Degree in Art History? You get a nose ring and pour coffee for a living."

Old 02-23-2010, 07:30 AM

397 posts, read 1,400,215 times
Ok Charles, to elaborate- I meant the office world, be it the public or private sector- it's bureaucratic, administrative, political work.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We NEED our Art History majors in this culture just as much as our math geeks. (no offense).
What we "need" is determined by the market, the demand for those services. One metric used for measuring demand is salary.

Why do basketball players make $10M per year? Chances are 5% to 20% (just guessing) of NBA players could do what you or I could do but only one in 10,000 of us could do what they can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment