Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:09 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
What is your degree in? What sort of job do you want to be in?
Double major international environmental policy and political science, double minor Latin American studies and environmental studies. I have internship experience in immigration advocacy/nonprofits and recycling and energy efficiency/government, as well as office work experience. I also studied abroad in Iceland, Mexico, and England and am trying to parlay my international experience into international business.

My ideal job is corporate social responsibility dealing with sustainable development in Latin America- either internally at a multinational or externally with an NGO or consulting group. Unfortunately, that's not something that typically has entry level jobs and I'm finding it hard to get into even peripheral areas of the field. If I make it into the Peace Corps or State Department, that would seriously help but again, even if I was to be hired it would be a long ways off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I would definitely try to play up any languages you speak to get a job. Try customer service if you are bilingual in Spanish. These companies are always begging for bi-lingual (the same for offices who would rather have someone who can speak Spanish than English, so it seems).

Places are big into 'attracting Hispanic businesses' as this is the biggest potential future demographic in the USA.

I think you should DEFINITELY study Spanish and get 'good at it' if you aren't already. It would help a lot. If you can speak it okay get better. If you are fluent, FLAUNT it.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Double major international environmental policy and political science, double minor Latin American studies and environmental studies. I have internship experience in immigration advocacy/nonprofits and recycling and energy efficiency/government, as well as office work experience. I also studied abroad in Iceland, Mexico, and England and am trying to parlay my international experience into international business.

My ideal job is corporate social responsibility dealing with sustainable development in Latin America- either internally at a multinational or externally with an NGO or consulting group. Unfortunately, that's not something that typically has entry level jobs and I'm finding it hard to get into even peripheral areas of the field. If I make it into the Peace Corps or State Department, that would seriously help but again, even if I was to be hired it would be a long ways off.
Where most or all of your 500 applications in Boston? I don't have a degree and have interviewed three times since applying in the last two weeks for Medical Office work and sales. I have no idea why you haven't had any luck with your background. You shouldn't have to work fast food or even sales. Where have you been looking? Doctor's don't have online applications. You just email your resume. What type of office did you work for? Tried Craigslist, indeed.com, Monster, jobfox? Go directly to the companies you are interested in?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
Where most or all of your 500 applications in Boston? I don't have a degree and have interviewed three times since applying in the last two weeks for Medical Office work and sales. I have no idea why you haven't had any luck with your background. You shouldn't have to work fast food or even sales. Where have you been looking? Doctor's don't have online applications. You just email your resume. What type of office did you work for? Tried Craigslist, indeed.com, Monster, jobfox? Go directly to the companies you are interested in?
The jobs have been all over the country- largely focused in Boston and Atlanta, but also in San Francisco, DC, NYC, Philadelphia, and really anywhere.

I had a phone interview today that I think went well, but I move back to Georgia on May 23rd (when I MUST be out of my dorm). If I don't have a job offer by then, I don't know how I'll afford to move back to Boston.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:09 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Double major international environmental policy and political science, double minor Latin American studies and environmental studies. <- Seems your best bet would be a Gov job. To me, you got a useless degree that makes no sense to a company...

Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Double major international environmental policy and political science, double minor Latin American studies and environmental studies. <- Seems your best bet would be a Gov job. To me, you got a useless degree that makes no sense to a company...
Government jobs ain't easy to come by, and the process takes foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeever.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I had planned on going to law school, but that obviously is a horrible investment right now. I'm graduating with no debts so law school would just land me with $150,000 loan easy- not what I want.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Federal civil service exams. ASAP. And yes, it takes time to work through the system, but one day you could get a pleasant surprise of job interviews, and you might still be very interested. I agree that it sounds like the federal government is the place to try.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Federal civil service exams. ASAP. And yes, it takes time to work through the system, but one day you could get a pleasant surprise of job interviews, and you might still be very interested. I agree that it sounds like the federal government is the place to try.
They don't do the general civil service exams anymore (though for some positions some sort of test might be one of the many steps in the hiring process). Nowadays it's just doing sometimes lengthy online applications. And even if they are ultimately interested in you, they may take months to contact you from when the application closes.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
They don't do the general civil service exams anymore (though for some positions some sort of test might be one of the many steps in the hiring process). Nowadays it's just doing sometimes lengthy online applications. And even if they are ultimately interested in you, they may take months to contact you from when the application closes.
Well ahead of you. I took the foreign service exam (and passed) in March- am now waiting to hear if I passed the QEP. I've also applied for scores of federal jobs including the EPA, USAID, and even the TSA and Homeland Security. Most of those applications went out last November or so. I have held off of the CIA just because you can't do both the CIA and Peace Corps, but I might end up applying anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment