Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 11:52 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times

Advertisements

I got a bachelor's degree in math 14 years ago and have been working in defined benefits pensions since then.

Taking the non-technical and non-math courses was a waste of time but you have to do it in order to get the degree. OK, fine, but what is irritating me now is that I rarely ever use my math skills. The only math I use is + - * /. I could have done this in junior high in my sleep.

I wanted to teach junior high or high school math, but the glut of teachers makes that impossible.

What kind of job could I qualify for that needs math that I could switch to (i.e., experience working but not in that particular field)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 09:25 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Any desire / interest to be an actuary? Any motivation to apply higher math to financial engineering / finance? Any particular interest, given your location, in moving toward a career that is focused on technical aspects of petroleum exploration / transportation / refining???

The difficulty in moving to any field after 14 years is will need to demonstrate to potential employers that you have the mindset they want for a person of the appropriate age that they would be hiring for -- if you have no specific education / certification in the above areas they certainly will not invest their firm's resources in you, however if you have demonstrated success and determination you may be a valuable addition to their organization. One way to demonstrate those qualities is by earning a graduate degree from a respected institution...

Old 05-03-2010, 09:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post

I wanted to teach junior high or high school math, but the glut of teachers makes that impossible.

What kind of job could I qualify for that needs math that I could switch to (i.e., experience working but not in that particular field)?
How about a math or science teacher?

shortage "math teachers" OR "science teachers" - Google Search

Old 05-03-2010, 12:01 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times
Honestly, i dont know but if you still live near the university where you graduated from, maybe you can goto their career center and ask a career counselor (often they provide free services to alumni) and maybe they can locate a new career path for you (or even some cities/counties have career counselors that provide free advice to residents as well)

Old 05-03-2010, 12:10 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
If you want to earn some extra money, maybe SAT or Praxis tutoring.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
If you want to earn some extra money, maybe SAT or Praxis tutoring.
That's a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment