Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 AM

154 posts, read 526,778 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a friend of mine who works for a leading Employment Agency. I asked her what was really happening in the world of recruiting. She spends her day filling job orders. She says there are hundreds of job openings in the broad category of Administrative Support. If you have strong typing, filing and Microsoft Office skills and carry your self well, you can start working tomorrow.

I know that is just one career field but I suspect that many unemployed people who have worked in an office are able to do administrative work. Why are they sitting home all day not working then?

She is telling me the honest truth not as part of the hype commonly associated with these agencies.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Because they don't live in Washington, DC (which by far has the lowest unemployment rate of any major metro area) nor have the means to move there, moron?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:35 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,313,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
I was talking to a friend of mine who works for a leading Employment Agency. I asked her what was really happening in the world of recruiting. She spends her day filling job orders. She says there are hundreds of job openings in the broad category of Administrative Support. If you have strong typing, filing and Microsoft Office skills and carry your self well, you can start working tomorrow.

I know that is just one career field but I suspect that many unemployed people who have worked in an office are able to do administrative work. Why are they sitting home all day not working then?

She is telling me the honest truth not as part of the hype commonly associated with these agencies.
This post sounds A LOT like Weekend Traveler.

It fits the format to a T. First, you describe a situation that you personally observe in the workplace or job market...secondly, you criticize a person or group of people for being lazy, stupid, etc....then you ask us, the readers, what we think. Hey, at least I'll give you credit for changing your name to something less revealing of your identity than C-D Poster or Forum Traveler or something else along those lines.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:19 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:

Why do you assume these people are sitting at home all day? This part of your post is very telling and, as the mcb1025 pointed out, it sounds very much like something Weekend Traveler would've written. You're assuming that because there are hundreds of these job openings being filled, it must mean that the people who aren't finding work just aren't applying. But that just shows how flawed your reasoning is. Suppose the agency has 100 job openings to fill and 5000 people apply. 100 of those applicants will fill those jobs. From the agency's perspective, they're filling a lot of job openings. But there still aren't enough jobs to go around. That's what the people who label the unemployed as lazy fail to recognize. Imagine if you were a single male who lived in Alaska. Given how many more single men there are than single women, should we assume that the men who are still single are just sitting at home? Of course not. But that's exactly what the logic you employed above would suggest.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:04 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
First, many of the unemployed are still holding out for a job that uses their abilities. Accountants, Engineers and Attorneys are not looking for Admin support jobs. Second, while it is good that hundreds of people are being placed, that still leaves millions looking for work. And yes, some who have given up looking.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:57 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
First, many of the unemployed are still holding out for a job that uses their abilities.
While this may be true, no one knows for sure how many of the unemployed fall into this category. That's the problem with the OP's post. He assumes all the people who are still unemployed have standards that are too high.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,037,179 times
Quote:
First, many of the unemployed are still holding out for a job that uses their abilities. Accountants, Engineers and Attorneys are not looking for Admin support jobs. Second, while it is good that hundreds of people are being placed, that still leaves millions looking for work. And yes, some who have given up looking.
Anyone who has been out of work more than a few months, is well aware of how bad the employment situation is and is willing to take a lower paying job. Please stop spreading lies.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:02 PM

40 posts, read 106,302 times
Quote:

I think you must be posting weird questions to get attention or something. you must have a lot of time on your hands.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:22 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,369,252 times
The OP is a troll don't feed it.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 PM

154 posts, read 526,778 times
So if you were once an Attorney and there is no longer any jobs for you, it is the taxpayers responsibility to support you for 99 weeks plus while you hold out for an Attorney job? I don't think so. You should take the job that pays the rent and if it is a $12 an hour data entry clerk take it!

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment