Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,466 times

Advertisements

Don't you just love employers who give you initial hope that you're on a short list of candidates and go as far as to allude that you've got the job but then flake out?

I applied for an internal position in another department a month ago. Company in rapid expansion, they wanted to hire 20 summer temps, including about 15 external and 5 internal candidates. Current part timers employees were encouraged to apply. Initially got my hopes up to finally learn something new after years of spinning my wheels in the CS dep't. HR asked current employees for their availabilities, communicated this with dep't leaders, then we were told to sit tight, she'll update us again. In the meantime, the supervisor emailed us asking for availabilities for the training sessions. I gave mine last week and he replies:
I should have a schedule set up by Monday (this week) so check your email between now and then and I'll have a clearer idea on the training schedule by then.
-----

The thing is, the supervisor was on vacation at that time and failed to update me. The positions are supposed to start tomorrow (!) and no word from him or HR. Nice. At least have the decency to let someone, an internal employee no less, know if they weren't selected. I hate the waiting game, felt like all those external job seekers who rant here.

What would you do at this point? I already told my current CS supervisor I'd get this position and she's waiting for my new schedule with them so she can determine my summer schedule. This was supposed to be an opportunity to finally be full time (2 part time jobs), perfect timing as I need to hunt for a new apartment too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
You just don't see the handwriting on the wall, do you?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:36 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,060 times
Yeah, you totally need to get another job. Going by your posts (re: your medical condition), you're not the most flexible option the company has to work with. The company probably realizes this and thus, is less willing to accommodate your requests. Time to move on and find something that is more suitable for your current condition.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Wake up already.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
It will be too hard to get a job in this economy.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:01 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I have heard time and again (and knew this by personal experience) many, many companies DO NOT promote from one dept. to another. Yes, I hear some of you work for MEGA GREAT bosses who want to see you get ahead and will not be pi**y if you give notice or want to transfer but many don't feel this way.

Maybe this is the case at your company.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:03 PM

I think she does see the handwriting on the wall. They hate her. And she is pretty annoyed by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You just don't see the handwriting on the wall, do you?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I have heard time and again (and knew this by personal experience) many, many companies DO NOT promote from one dept. to another. Yes, I hear some of you work for MEGA GREAT bosses who want to see you get ahead and will not be pi**y if you give notice or want to transfer but many don't feel this way.
Maybe this is the case at your company.
That may be the case at other companies, but in my situation it was the manager who encouraged part timer CSRs to apply for the second part time position in Division B. FYI, the goal was to keep current job A and start new job B, all while staying at the same company.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It will be too hard to get a job in this economy.
I think that's a cop out. My company continues to hire and people change jobs all the time.
However I must say that I'm out of the job hunting loop, having been with the same company for 4 yrs now (they found my resume on a job board). I looked a bit last fall but haven't made a concentrated effort to look around again, probably because I still enjoy the industry I'm in, thought I might have a chance to contribute more to my current employer and of course the scheduling constraints. Not ready for a traditional 9-5 position, I guess I have to settle for the scraps. Now that supervisor B flaked out on me, I suppose I can call him tomorrow morning, but I'll have to rethink my future with the company, considering that all I can really get from position A is an average of 20 hrs/week, no benefits, no raises in 3 yrs and no room for advancement.
I'm hanging on because I have nothing better on the horizon.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:20 PM

Only 20 hours a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment