Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 03:43 PM

263 posts, read 757,963 times

Advertisements

There is this woman I will refer to as Mary in upper management (whom I do also know outside of work) that my direct supervisor will eventually be reporting to. She has been having me help her with different tasks and it's been going well....until there was a misunderstanding on what she wanted. She asked me what happened and I told her and she was like "what the f**k, fu*kin A", and ect. In the 2 minutes I was in her office, she must have said the F word 8 times. As I was walking out she said "F**K!". I know she wasn't calling me the F work directly, but she was still directing it towards me in anger because something didn't go as planned.

Is that abusive behavior? I have been so nice to her and have prevented her from making mistakes herself with helping her out and feel I did not deserve that! Why so angry on 1 misunderstanding, especially when she wasn't clear as to what she wanted!!??!!!

(A little history: Mary and I are lesbian and did have a brief affair, but decided to cool it and have remained friends outside of work. Someone did go to Mary's boss this past Monday and say they felt she was giving me pereferential treatment. Ever since than Mary has told me we really need to cook it and that she can not ask for my help anymore. She hasn't been as open ever since then - kinda closed herself off a little)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 03:47 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
There is this woman I will refer to as Mary in upper management (whom I do also know outside of work) that my direct supervisor will eventually be reporting to. She has been having me help her with different tasks and it's been going well....until there was a misunderstanding on what she wanted. She asked me what happened and I told her and she was like "what the f**k, fu*kin A", and ect. In the 2 minutes I was in her office, she must have said the F word 8 times. As I was walking out she said "F**K!". I know she wasn't calling me the F work directly, but she was still directing it towards me in anger because something didn't go as planned.

Is that abusive behavior? I have been so nice to her and have prevented her from making mistakes herself with helping her out and feel I did not deserve that! Why so angry on 1 misunderstanding, especially when she wasn't clear as to what she wanted!!??!!!

(A little history: Mary and I are lesbian and did have a brief affair, but decided to cool it and have remained friends outside of work. Someone did go to Mary's boss this past Monday and say they felt she was giving me pereferential treatment. Ever since than Mary has told me we really need to cook it and that she can not ask for my help anymore. She hasn't been as open ever since then - kinda closed herself off a little)

No.

Since you have had an obviously intimate relationship with Mary, she probably felt comfortable enough to express her displeasure by using less than professional language. Albeit unprofessional it is hardy abusive. It is not like she was saying, F&ck me or lose your job.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:56 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Sounds like a train wreck.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:02 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,696,595 times
She was unprofessional. The fact that you have a history together has blurred the lines between language used in a professional environment and that which may/may not be typical for a social relationship.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
Words of mere displeasure from your boss are not abusive. You have been reprimanded for a work performance issue. It's hardly your place to decide what words your boss should use when doing so.

And in the modern english language, f--- is nothing more than an adjective. This isn't 1950.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Words of mere displeasure from your boss are not abusive. You have been reprimanded for a work performance issue. It's hardly your place to decide what words your boss should use when doing so.

And in the modern english language, f--- is nothing more than an adjective. This isn't 1950.
But in 1950 people didn't sue for a playful slap on the butt.

In most places a supervisor would be fired for having a sexual relationship with a subordinate employee, and now, that could come out if you were to complain and an investigation were done by HR. ANY behavior that makes an employee feel uncomfortable can be considered harassment, including language such as your boss used. This can also apply to shouting, finger-pointing, or standing too close to a person in their cubicle.I saw someone reprimanded for having their daughter's picture on her desk, wearing a professional football cheerleader outfit as it offended an older woman a few desks over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment