Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I must say something about unemployment it is not welfare many people have put a goodly number of years into the employment system and in my opinion UE is deserved. UE was developed to help people over the rough spots during unemployment. If not for UE a great many people would have lost everything and living in tent city. It is great if a person can find employment immediately after a job loss but sometimes that is not possible and those people still need some kind of income to at least survive. To consider UE as some type of welfare in my opinion is wrong. For the record I have never collected UE but if I needed to I sure would not hesitate.
Without UI or some other form of income, folks would not be able to meet expenses which could lead to credit issues. I'm sure that would enhance a person's likelihood of gaining work when that shows up on a background check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 04:09 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,514,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Not to be rude but the OP has had nothing but disparaging remarks towards the unemployed. You need to go read some of his work before you read into what he posted here. You may have a hard time finding them as many have been deleted.
I'm sorry but I only read this post and this is what I read into it, I am not in the habit of researching every post someone made before I respond. He may have said some things previously that rattled some chains I don't argue with that but as I said I am only responding to this post and frankly I didn't see anything that indicated he was kicking people while they are down. Of course we can agree to disagree can't we?

Old 06-03-2010, 04:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
One of my parents was unemployed, got laid off, found a job in 6 weeks... And he refused to claim unemployment because he, like I think it's a form of welfare and opwould have compelled him not to work.

So your point fails spectacularly.
So one of your parents is so weak minded that by claiming unemployment it would have compelled him not to work?

Old 06-03-2010, 07:58 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
I'm sorry but I only read this post and this is what I read into it, I am not in the habit of researching every post someone made before I respond. He may have said some things previously that rattled some chains I don't argue with that but as I said I am only responding to this post and frankly I didn't see anything that indicated he was kicking people while they are down. Of course we can agree to disagree can't we?
I'm sorry but I take issue with someone who claims not to kick the unemployed while they are down when just yesterday we were getting called stupid by the OP.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:10 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
People that worked their whole lives and still have the misconception that unemployments benefits are welfare make me sad.
Yes, here I see jobs opening up a little in Chicagoland. Still not enough though.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
ever notice that ending with "but" serves only to negate the words or sentiment that preceded it?

yes, you did mean to be rude - sorry

Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
but...

Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
I do think the OP is one of the exceptions to the general rule in this economy. Not every graduate has his credentials or the abundance of opportunities/job offers that he has in his area, the ability to relocate, or the fortune of one of his parents getting a job in a short time.

While he meant to encourage people, the phrase "it's not that bad" is slightly arrogant--especially to those who graduated, or were laid off last year; and have struggled (or may still be struggling) to find decent work. A success story is one example, not the only example.

I did congratulate the OP earlier to show I have no hard feelings, and I can see both viewpoints.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
One of my parents was unemployed, got laid off, found a job in 6 weeks... And he refused to claim unemployment because he, like I think it's a form of welfare and opwould have compelled him not to work.

So your point fails spectacularly.
Very foolish.

Employers, and in some state employees, pay into it. It is not welfare. It is unemployment INSURANCE.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:08 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Well if the OP was trying to be optimistic then I appreciate it. Despite all the unemployed people we hear about out there (I'm one of them), I also know several people who found jobs without being superstars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment