Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:58 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times

Advertisements

Which country would it easiest for US born citizens to immigrate to, currently speaking?

What would be the pros and cons of living in that country specifically?

For those who know, what does the job market revolve around in that country (example : Iceland = Fishing)?

Any other random details anyone wishes to add on the country they believe it would be easiest for American citizens to immigrate to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:53 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,482 times
The easiest country is canada. They have 34 million people, harmony in its population,low unemployment rate, developed cities, excellent mass transit systems, universal healthcare, Political stability (queen Eli 2), walkable cities, citizens can't bear arms (peaceful society), and the highest minimum wage of the American continent.
You can work there with a NAFTA visa if you are a US national or Mexican.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:09 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
The easiest country is canada. They have 34 million people, harmony in its population,low unemployment rate, developed cities, excellent mass transit systems, universal healthcare, Political stability (queen Eli 2), walkable cities, citizens can't bear arms (peaceful society), and the highest minimum wage of the American continent.

you cant bear arms?

is it more like england where the criminals have more rights than the victims? mass transit? you mean your mass transit actually makes a profit without goverment subsidies?

universal health care? you mean kanada actually likes having its citizens come down to the USA for health care?

sorry, dont think kanada is a good choice for americans, should just stay in the USA and have some rights instead of having goverment tell you what your privelages are.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you cant bear arms?

is it more like england where the criminals have more rights than the victims? mass transit? you mean your mass transit actually makes a profit without goverment subsidies?

universal health care? you mean kanada actually likes having its citizens come down to the USA for health care?

sorry, dont think kanada is a good choice for americans, should just stay in the USA and have some rights instead of having goverment tell you what your privelages are.
When the USA goes to **** i'd rather not be here honestly. There are those who think it is honorable to go down with the ship, I say its stupid. Thats why I was asking my question. Oh and may I add Canadian schools (even the top ones) are incredibly affordable (for international students) compared to almost all of the out-of-state tuition prices here in America.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:35 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
A NAFTA visa? I didn't realize Americans could work in Canada...that easily. Is that an easy visa to obtain, or a difficult one? I've heard most non-Canadians though are working way less than desireable jobs there, even if incredibly qualified.

I like Canadian politics...but never really liked the people. Way too anti-american in my experience, and way too nationalistic. But I do like some of the cities, etc.

Sadly, it is interesting how many people from all over the world emigrate to America...but very few if any countries allow this reciprocally.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 PM

NAFTA visas:

Working temporarily in Canada: Special categories - Business people

U.S.Nationals/Mexicans can renew the NAFTA visa every 3 years (indefinitely).

Once you have been legally working in Canada for 2/3 years, you can apply for a permanent residency card.

Under Chapter 16 of NAFTA, citizens of Canada, the United States and Mexico can gain quicker, easier temporary entry into the three countries to conduct business or investment activities.

Business people covered by NAFTA do not need a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC). This means that Canadian employers do not need to have a job offer approved by HRSDC to employ a United States or a Mexican business person, as set out in NAFTA.

Business people covered by NAFTA must, however, comply with the general provisions on temporary entry to Canada.

NAFTA applies to four specific categories of business people: business visitors, professionals, intra-company transferees, and traders and investors.

Business visitor is a separate category with separate requirements. Business visitors do not require a work permit. For more information, see Jobs that do not require a work permit in the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.

A professional must:

be qualified to work in one of the more than 60*professions listed in Appendix*1603.D.1 of Chapter*16 of NAFTA (for example, accountant, computer systems analyst, engineer, management consultant and technical publications writer) and have pre-arranged employment with a Canadian enterprise in an occupation that matches the qualification.

An intra-company transferee must:

have worked continuously for at least one year in the preceding three*years for the same or affiliated employer in the United States or Mexico
be transferred to Canada to work temporarily for the same or an affiliated employer and
work in a capacity that is managerial, executive or that involves specialized knowledge.
A trader or an investor must:

be seeking to carry out substantial trade in goods or services, mainly between Canada and her or his country of citizenship, or conduct substantial investment activities in Canada, in a supervisory or an executive capacity, or in a capacity that involves essential skills
meet additional requirements under NAFTA and
have a work permit.

Last edited by Edu983; 06-16-2010 at 12:46 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 12:08 AM

Tiger,

I am not Canadian. My cousins moved to Canada and told me about the NAFTA visas. You only need a bachelors degree, U.S./Mexico nationality, and a Canadian job offer. You can apply for Canadian jobs through websites, if a employer is interested in you, take the job offer to the Canadian embassy, and you passport, to request the NAFTA visa. The paperwork is simple if you are a U.S. National. (Mexican nationals have to submit more requirements)

Old 06-16-2010, 02:07 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
is it more like england where the criminals have more rights than the victims?
With all the junk lawsuits in the US (which are not as common in England), I'd say that happens more often in the US than over here. Have you ever lived in England?

Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 PM

441 posts, read 1,326,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
With all the junk lawsuits in the US (which are not as common in England), I'd say that happens more often in the US than over here. Have you ever lived in England?
Of course not. But he watched Fox news given his grammar. Notice he he omitted that violent crime is 10 or more time lower in UK then in US, but well, details.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:38 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Well-developed Latin American countries like Costa Rica and Panama might be worth considering, especially if you have a nice cash cushion.

I wouldn't approach the issue the way you are, though. I would instead ask the following questions:

1) What are my skills and which ones can I or do I want to acquire quickly?
2) Where are these skills most in demand right now?
3) Taking into account the answer to number 2, which are the least bureaucratic countries and the most desirable to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World