Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 10:59 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times

Advertisements

Are there any countries that lack immigration laws? Places you can move without getting a visa and jumping through the various immigration hoops? From what I know, pretty much every country has stringent requirements making it difficult if not impossible to relocate there. Are there any that will just let you in with minimal or no hassle?

I'm just curious here -- I don't have any relocation plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 12:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
There are none with no laws, but some where they are enforced with little enthusiasm. Paraguay and Cambodia come to mind. Paraguay does not seem to enforce any end date for the validity of an entry stamp, as long as you don't get into any trouble that attract attention to you. Cambodia's visas, at last report, were indefinitely renewable for a small fee from a semi-official agency. The world's borders are generally pretty porous, but an American would stand out so conspicuously, it would be very hard to blend in with nomads and vagabonds.

A lot of other countries will keep letting you in, but you need to make a "visa run" every time your tourist visa expires, which could be anywhere from 2 months to a year. That means taking the bus to a border town, going across, and then re-entering the next day. I know people who even lived in China that way. For example, in Jordan, I had a permanent residence card, but I had to drive my French car out to Syria and back every 6 months to get a new permit. In Chile, it was easy to just hop on a bus to Argentina every 6 months, and then get stamped back in. Expats in Guatemala have to take the bus to Mexico or Honduras every 3 months. Indonesia is really tough. It's a long, hard trip to a border every two months, and they are very strict, and a longer entry permit is virtually impossible. For India, it takes at least a week outside the country to get a new visa.

Most countries recognize the visa-run practice, it's pretty obvious from a glance at the passport stamps, but generally, it is tolerated as long as you don't do something to get kicked out of the country. It works best in countries where you don't need a consular visa in advance of your arrival. In general, you do NOT want to get caught in any country without valid entry papers or with expired visa. But I can't recall ever being asked for my passport by any official while just walking around in any country. However, bus passengers' documents are often inspected at checkpoints in many countries.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-16-2011 at 12:47 AM..

Old 04-16-2011, 01:02 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Dominican Republic?

Residency and Citizenship in the Dominican Republic

Just reside there for two years, and you get it. Or do a few hoop jumping, and you get it in six months...based on the link above.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Dominican Republic?

Residency and Citizenship in the Dominican Republic

Just reside there for two years, and you get it. Or do a few hoop jumping, and you get it in six months...based on the link above.
My reading of the link indicates that first you need to qualify for permanent residence (it doesn't state the requirements for that), and that the two-year nationality requires either establishing a business or buying real estate.

In many countries (including DR) you can get immediate residency by marrying a national. Note that bigamy is generally not regarded as a criminal offense, but is a civil matter that requires a plaintiff to institute. If the going gets tricky, you can slip out of the country without worrying about extradition. Be careful not to create a fraud or a child support situation. I think DR is one of the countries where you can get a quickie divorce, which will be recognized in DR, if not elsewhere, clearing the way to marry a Dominican.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-16-2011 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-16-2011, 10:46 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My reading of the link indicates that first you need to qualify for permanent residence (it doesn't state the requirements for that), and that the two-year nationality requires either establishing a business or buying real estate.

In many countries (including DR) you can get immediate residency by marrying a national. Note that bigamy is generally not regarded as a criminal offense, but is a civil matter that requires a plaintiff to institute. If the going gets tricky, you can slip out of the country without worrying about extradition.
500,000 dollars buys you citizenship to USA

Old 11-27-2013, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 18,083 times
is there any way to work in any country while you on tourist visa?any country

Old 11-27-2013, 01:17 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
500,000 dollars buys you citizenship to USA
Incorrect - EB-5 Immigrant Investor | USCIS

Old 11-28-2013, 08:03 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
None as far as I know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World