Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 10:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

There are lanes in India? Who knew!
Thailand is much the same. Lines are only seen by the timid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 12:19 PM

268 posts, read 877,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
That's my kind of law enforcement.

You don't want to pay a fine or be arrested, don't break the law. Very simple.
I slightly disagree. For me, the right way is not to punish and beat-them-down from the very beginning. Breaking the law and punish people is to easy. Good police need to be vigilant, and when something is happening, they should reprimand first. A government that educates the people if that is not working, you can still punish them.

This is just a teacher speaking :-)

Old 10-03-2011, 02:41 PM

213 posts, read 865,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There are lanes in India? Who knew!
Thailand is much the same. Lines are only seen by the timid.
LOL, true. Lanes have already been there but they are ignored by one and all. Same goes for red-lights after 10PM. There seems to be an unwritten rule of sorts that you can ignore the traffic-lights at the non-busy intersections after 10 PM. Infact, many of the traffics signals switch to the blinking yellow light after 10PM.

I have stopped on countless such red-signals at 1AM in the morning waiting for it to turn green and have been honked at by the motorist behind me.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:03 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2360039 View Post
A government that educates the people if that is not working, you can still punish them.
Huh ???

Are you implying that those who drive with an attitude *out of bounds* were NOT educated by some part of the government of the area where they were *breaking the law* ???

Are you implying that those who were *caught*, did not know the law ?

To me, it seems it was not working at all ?

Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yeah, I notice the U.S. has a slew of traffic officers and a ton of cameras to capture people who go over the speed limits
Not in my state.....

Cameras to enforce traffic laws were ruled unconstitutional in Minnesota (state constitution, not u.s.) after the city of Minneapolis installed a bunch of red light cameras. Minneapolis had to turn them all off permanently and return all previously collected revenue.

Drivers have to be ticketed in MN, not cars. The burden of proof is also on law enforcement/prosecutors to prove guilt in court. Just mailing a ticket to the owner of a car shifts the burden of proof to a citizen needing to prove innocence in court instead.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh, I agree about the cameras, each ticket now includes your photo.
They started cracking down about 6 months ago. At the office, I have a list of the different type of camouflaged cameras they've implemented.

One day, in Sachicher Schweiss, I got tickets going both ways on a stretch that went from 50 to 30 to ticket in less than 50 meters. The return ticket was for 33 in a 30.
Thanks, Chielgirl; you remined me of an anecdote!

Was stationed at Bitburg Air Base in the late '80s-early 90's. Was tooling along on B 50 between Bitburg and Spangdahlem. Fortunately, I was going the speed limit when I rounded a curve and saw a plain white VW vanagon parked on the shoulder some distance ahead. As I got closer, I could make out a red "Canon" camera logo. And, as I passed the van, I saw two Polizei officers with their camera in the back!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:30 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
Cameras to enforce traffic laws were ruled unconstitutional in Minnesota (state constitution, not u.s.)
I think in our State also (Utah).

There is an area were speeding is notoriously bad, so they got *plain* citizens to help curb the problem.

*Old Grandpa* sits on his lawn with a speed gun.
He *catches* one, he radios to a patrol car around the bend.

The speeding stopped after a few weeks of a lot of tickets ...

Whether this is *legal* or not, who knows, or even who cares.
It stopped.
This was a few years ago, and now they have a stop light at that intersection, which was only a stop-*sign* before, for the cross road.

It surprises me that they finally figured out that a light was more efficient than two officers ...
I guess they had to collect fines, to pay for the lights ??

OTOH, I live on a narrow 1 1/2 lane street, and it has a slight bend in it right were *we* (five homes) live.
Problem is, we live on the wrong side of the bend (inside bend) so,
hard to see who comes along at speed waaayyy in excess of the posted speed limit, which is 25 MPH.
The other side of the road is a canal !
We have had six accidents in the last 5 years, of people trying get out of their driveway.
So all of us (five homes) asked the city if they could build speed bumps.
The answer was more of a question than an answer.
Their reply: *Did anybody die in any of those accidents ?*
So we ended up mounting mirrors so we can *see* who comes racing towards us.

One really lucky thing is that about a year ago, a policeman moved into the neighbourhood,
and his police car is visible from the road when one drives past our homes.
Speeding has dramatically slowed down !!!

I wonder, if the speed limit says 25, why do people think it is 52 ??
Bad case of dyslexia ?
Maybe *teacher 2360039* can give me an answer ??

Back to the original question.
As long as people can *afford* to pay the relatively low fines, they will continue to break the law.
I have come to the conclusion that *traffic law* (anywhere) is not *The Law*, but just a Philosophy ...

Last edited by irman; 10-04-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
One or two of the nordic countries (Sweden? Norway perhaps?) have fines that scale to income.

I remember reading that some pretty rich guy got a speeding ticket in excess of 100,000 as a result.

There is a trade-off, some countries literally have anarchy on their roads and the resulting injury and death rates are *staggering*.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:17 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
One or two of the nordic countries (Sweden? Norway perhaps?) have fines that scale to income.

I remember reading that some pretty rich guy got a speeding ticket in excess of 100,000 as a result.
Finland does that... along with Switzerland.

BBC NEWS | Business | Finn's speed fine is a bit rich

Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It increasingly appears, in the U.S., from purusing the threads on traffic tickets, that any number of local/state governments, knowing it's so difficult to raise taxes, have turned to traffic tickets as an alternate source of revenue for the government.

Curious, what's it like in other parts of the world? With the multitude of new car owners in China how are they dealing with traffic infractions over there, or India, Europe, Latin America, wherever?
My daughter is at school in Chengdu, Sichuan. She says the traffic is insane and no one regulates it. The Chinese have an expression for driving that roughly translates to "find a space wherever you can", which means the cars often are only an inch from one another. She said she has been in a cab and watched as a bus was hurtling toward her and thought she was going to die only to see the front of the bus stop a hand's width from her window.

In her observation, that is part of the huge difference between the US and China--here in the US, you can say anything you want about the government and trash the leaders, but God forbid you commit a traffic infraction and we have cameras everywhere recording you if you don't. Over there, everyone "respects" the government but in the little everyday things, nothing is enforced.

She bought a "secondhand" bicycle from one of the vendors on the streets who sell them--they are obviously stolen, and the cops take them, too. Her roommate's secondhand bike has already been stolen back, so she had to go get another one. Fortunately, they are cheap because they are constantly sold and stolen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World