Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
For sure the USA is Canada's best friend but it's a friendship that is one of those love- hate relationships. We have only a tenth of the population of the USA and we are at all times in peril of losing our distictive and very different culture to Americanism. It's a struggle to maintain our differentness and uniqueness in the ten to one ratio that exists.

I do believe though that most Canadians have come to realize this difference much more over the last 10 years or so as we see the USA seemingly going bonkers in so many ways. I find that most Canadians that I meet have a superiority complex when they look at the USA. There are things they admire about the USA but Canada is just so much better!!!
I thought I'd let you know there really is no such thing as a superiority complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
US + Israel = BFF's
Ah, I was waiting for somebody to come up with this one .

Anyway, for Belgium, it's a schizophrenic situation: for the Flemish, the Dutch are best friends, for the French-speaking Belgians it most certainly is France. And on a political level, I'd say Belgium more often follows the French line (more Euro-centric) than the Dutch line (which is a bit more Atlantic).

Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 AM

213 posts, read 865,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
Not even a country like Nepal?
Nepal is neither hostile nor friendly. I guess they are just indifferent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I do not see how India and Russia are close friends or even friends. That would be surprising to me if they are friends.

Yeah. India and Pakistan seem to have a lot of tension generally ever since that region became two different countries in the partition like 64 years ago. I assume India also does not get along with Bangladesh that much.

However, India seems to have plenty of close friends globally. I think India’s best friends are Singapore, Thailand, Japan, South Korea, USA, Australia, and Canada.

I think India will also have China in the best friends list too.
India actually helped Bangladesh get freedom from Pakistan. Bangladesh used to be East Pakistan but eventually, with military help from India, became Bangladesh. The relations have gone downhill from their own. Border skirmishes between illegal Bangladeshi immigrants and the Indian Border Security Forces (BSF) is a regular feature. Horror stories of brutalities committed by BSF haven't really endeared Indians to Bangladeshis.

I don't think India will ever chummy up to China. India and China did wage a war against each other. China has always supported Pakistan, provided them with advanced weapon design and possibly even nuclear know-how. China has handed Indian territory it captured in the last war to Pakistan. China still has occasional skirmishes with India along the border. There is really a lot of ill-will between the two countries to have anything more then an un-easy working relationship.

India has a lot of allies....just no friends.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:28 AM

291 posts, read 831,817 times
I'd say Hungary & Austria for our little homeland.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The U.S.'s best friend I'd say is definitely the U.K. Although these 2 countries are very different from one another and are separated by an ocean, they share the same underlying heritage and culture and have been long-term allies.

Other than that, I don't know. Maybe the U.S. and Canada. But as much as the U.S. wants to be close-knit friends with Canada, Canada has a tendency of coming back and badmouthing the U.S. I've often seen this among Canadians themselves. And you see it on Canadian television and media constantly. Such is life, I guess.
Canadians love Americans.... maybe not our government, but they do the people. Every time I've been there they are super nice. When they vacation, it's usually to the US.

Canadians get mad, because

1. They believe most Americans don't know much about Canada
2. They think most Americans think of Canada as just another US (they are right, we mostly do... Canada is the most similar country to the US there is). Their downtowns and suburban neighborhoods are the same style... someone from the US could integrate into Canadian society very easily, and vice verse. Much more so then going to Europe.

If I had to say what countries are the US best allies I would say:

1. UK
2. Canada
3. Japan
4. Australia

Old 10-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I can't imagine the u.s. ever ditching the u.k. though. It's a little excessively loyal to some places like Israel.

I don't see any possibility of u.s. fully supporting china for anything. In the region, Taiwan,Japan and South Korea are heavily in the front seat. China always strikes me as one the U.S. has never been all that comfortable with.
Probably because China wants to have full influence over that region. We supply all of those countries with weapons, and full support, where as China would prefer those countries look to it, not the US.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
China? Man, that is a clearly a case of "keep your friends close and keep your enemies even closer." The U.S. is actually threatened by China (its government particularly) and most likely believes China has the potential to become another U.S.S.R.

Sorry, but Americans don't like communists or communist countries, no matter how you look at it.
Older Americans you mean....

my generation doesn't trust China, but it has nothing to do with Communism.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No two countrys in the world are more similar than the US and Canada, in fact for the most part you would not say they are "foriegn" to each other at all. They really are the same North American people who look to two different federal goverments..
Well, for starters, your best friends are the countries you can go to WITHOUT A PASSPORT. That pretty well eliminates USA/Canada from serious consideration.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Well, for starters, your best friends are the countries you can go to WITHOUT A PASSPORT. That pretty eliminates USA/Canada from serious consideration.
This is dumb.

You could go to both Mexico and Canada without a passport until 9/11.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:42 PM

321 posts, read 960,510 times
Is that the date when the United States decided to not trust even its friends? That is a complete dead end!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World