Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Simply look at the misspellings, incorrect word usage, grammatical errors and lack of syntax exhibited by CD posters.
Even though I usually agree with what you say, I don't with this statement (and one that has been mentioned in many other sections of this joint as well) for several reasons. First, sites like this are informal and not formal, so being exact on everything should not be a big deal. However, it is true that we should try to write and spell correctly so our messages are understood, but what we write here is not for a grade (even though the paradox is we are being judged by whomever reads the posts) or something that will be as important as changing a law etc.; it is for discussion, only. Second, there are many people who have learned English as a second (and maybe third or fourth) language who are on this site, and depending upon how they learned it, would depend upon how they would write it. Third, some mechanical rules are taught differently in not only textbooks here in the states, but also in other countries, so who is to say what is totally right? And finally, some people have flying fingers (or in my case a keyboard that I swear has its own mind at times...grrr) and if they don't go back and proofread, what is the big deal?

Just my 2 cents worth as no one on here is perfect in his/her writing that I have seen.

And just thought of this too. I also believe that the digital natives are less prone to worry about being absolutely correct than the digital immigrants as this is the type of medium they are more use to, besides not having all the time spent of grammar in school that the "immigrants" have had .

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 01-07-2012 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Added a thought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 03:45 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
Agree on the second language issues, but if you can't be bother writing correctly you're showing a lack of respect. Don't expect me to read your posts.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
Even though I usually agree with what you say, I don't with this statement (and one that has been mentioned in many other sections of this joint as well) for several reasons. First, sites like this are informal and not formal, so being exact on everything should not be a big deal. However, it is true that we should try to write and spell correctly so our messages are understood, but what we write here is not for a grade (even though the paradox is we are being judged by whomever reads the posts) or something that will be as important as changing a law etc.; it is for discussion, only. Second, there are many people who have learned English as a second (and maybe third or fourth) language who are on this site, and depending upon how they learned it, would depend upon how they would write it. Third, some mechanical rules are taught differently in not only textbooks here in the states, but also in other countries, so who is to say what is totally right? And finally, some people have flying fingers (or in my case a keyboard that I swear has its own mind at times...grrr) and if they don't go back and proofread, what is the big deal?

Just my 2 cents worth as no one on here is perfect in his/her writing that I have seen.

And just thought of this too. I also believe that the digital natives are less prone to worry about being absolutely correct than the digital immigrants as this is the type of medium they are more use to, besides not having all the time spent of grammar in school that the "immigrants" have had .
I'm not a stickler for grammar or English in general (couldn't care if you start a sentence with 'because' etc) but some spelling errors on the internet would make many educated fifth graders laugh in derision. Just some I remember from yesterday - 'ladder' for latter, 'defidently' for definitely. I mean, do these people even read? Or take notice of how words are spelt?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:43 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not a stickler for grammar or English in general (couldn't care if you start a sentence with 'because' etc) but some spelling errors on the internet would make many educated fifth graders laugh in derision. Just some I remember from yesterday - 'ladder' for latter, 'defidently' for definitely. I mean, do these people even read? Or take notice of how words are spelt?
Some of the spelling errors that I have seen, I will agree with but again, not typos, for as I had said, flying fingers have nothing to do with knowing how to spell. However, I have to say that beginning a sentence with "because" is perfectly fine. The reason why we tell younger students not to do it is due to the fact it usually ends up a fragment; however, I had to chuckle a bit as I did look it up to see if it were more a "country" thing, and it seems to be (like spelt vs. spelled )! The people from the UK and India said NEVER, saying it was a conjunction, so it shouldn't ever begin the sentence. However, the word is a subordinating conjunction which allows it (and the clause it begins) to be at the beginning, middle or end of the sentence.

But getting back to the OP's original question, I think one can be very educated, but not aware at all, and vice versa.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 PM

19 posts, read 44,994 times
white South African are the most intelligent/educated people in the whole world

Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 AM

213 posts, read 865,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"Educated" and "ignorant" are not necessarily antonyms.

I was guided through the Amazon by a man who did not know what country he lived in until he was 16 years old and had never been to school. My ignorance was humiliating.

I drove my car across the trackless Jordanian desert whose features shift daily, accompanied by two truckers who navigated by the stars. My ignorance was mortifying.

I've known people who have never been to school, but can speak four languages fluently and play several musical instruments and heal the sick and wounded and take a car engine apart and put it back together and build a house. My ignorance was embarrassing.
Amazing post! I can't rep you right now but will do as soon as I can.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
This is a pretty complex question, I think it has more to do with living under a repressive regime. In my travels the most hostile encounters/experiences that i've had have all been within the Anglosphere.

I remember my first time leaving home and living in Germany, I was going home from school walking through the innenstadt, I had stopped to buy a snack for long ride I had ahead of me on the S-bahn. There was a Sri Lankan woman who was the cashier, I approached her in German and asked about the price of the snack. Her first words to me where "In Germany we use Euros", Okay I had thought to myself, that was quite weird. I had bought my snack and as I proceeded to leave, the owner of the shop enters and this woman has the nerve to ask me "Sir did you pay for that?".

The only experience's I had like this were from other foreigners who had a strong command of the English Language.

This is something that I've often reflected on the older I get.

I had a classmate from Sierra Leone (who is still one of my best friends to this day), he consistently schooled me on the language and other things. I remember one day we were walking through the city, and I had asked him about racism against us (blacks) in Germany. He had told me that he didn't bother looking for it, because as soon as he thought about it he'd invite it into his life..as he'd tell me "life is too short for that my friend".

I've often thought about this whenever I travel some place new, whether it be in the states or abroad.

Ignorance never discriminates, you can find it in all strata or socioeconomic groups. There are simply some people who are more perceptive than others.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:15 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
This is a pretty complex question, I think it has more to do with living under a repressive regime. In my travels the most hostile encounters/experiences that i've had have all been within the Anglosphere.

I remember my first time leaving home and living in Germany, I was going home from school walking through the innenstadt, I had stopped to buy a snack for long ride I had ahead of me on the S-bahn. There was a Sri Lankan woman who was the cashier, I approached her in German and asked about the price of the snack. Her first words to me where "In Germany we use Euros", Okay I had thought to myself, that was quite weird. I had bought my snack and as I proceeded to leave, the owner of the shop enters and this woman has the nerve to ask me "Sir did you pay for that?".

The only experience's I had like this were from other foreigners who had a strong command of the English Language.

This is something that I've often reflected on the older I get.

I had a classmate from Sierra Leone (who is still one of my best friends to this day), he consistently schooled me on the language and other things. I remember one day we were walking through the city, and I had asked him about racism against us (blacks) in Germany. He had told me that he didn't bother looking for it, because as soon as he thought about it he'd invite it into his life..as he'd tell me "life is too short for that my friend".

I've often thought about this whenever I travel some place new, whether it be in the states or abroad.

Ignorance never discriminates, you can find it in all strata or socioeconomic groups. There are simply some people who are more perceptive than others.

I have faced such situations. Many times Immigrants try to dominate other "Minorities" by displaying command of the English Language. My simple answer to them in such situations is to speak in their language and ask " Where did they originally come from" ?? This works !!

Old 11-11-2018, 01:55 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Just going by the people I've met I've yet to meet the super ignorant Americans that I keep hearing about. I've met many ignorant Australians, Brits, Europeans and Asians though.
I think that not knowing that the seasons are reversed in the Southern Hemisphere is a bit ignorant. I have met a few Americans who were very surprised about that.

I find the British quite knowledgeable.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:41 PM

839 posts, read 735,278 times
I think urban Americans (those that have been accused as elitists) are worldly, although not as worldly as Western Europeans.

The problem with America are those rural and suburban folks, whose lack of awareness about the world and history, allow themselves to be more susceptible to manipulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World