Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 02:47 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just perception, but I have noticed that as of this point in time/this decade or so, many aggressive separatist movements that have existed in the past decades have simmered down and strong "separatism" in many ways seems to almost be at an all-time low (can't say if it's anything but perception on my part so maybe I am wrong). In this post, I am referring to separatism as a sort of struggle as an unrecognized nation-state (sometimes armed or violent) though I don't know about other kinds (eg. peaceful protest).

For I was thinking about how the end of the 90s saw the simmering down/quieting of the Troubles of Northern Ireland, as well as Quebec separatism. Now, there is the thing going on with Scotland, but it's not something that's aggressive or violent. I'm not sure how the Basque separatists in Spain or say Kashmiris in India are at the moment, but I hear of them less too (maybe just media coverage). Israel/Palestine still seems problematic though they are working on it/trying to make peace talks as they've continued to do.

The most recent country to have a separatist issue resolved is South Sudan. What I am slightly perceiving is that separatist movements, whether violent or aggressive, seem to be off the radar now compared to the 90s, 80s or earlier. Some of them might have achieved their aims. Some have made compromises. Others reluctantly accepted deals. Some are still going. Yet, I have a feeling overall there is either less numbers of separatists groups, less coverage, whether that is media or reflection of the world.

I am not even that old (mid 20s in age) but I remember back in the 90s before 9-11 and before religious fundamentalists in the Islamic world came to the fore, the stereotypical image of a "terrorist, was less a religious extremist and more of actually a rebel or a separatist of a country who took the struggle violently, a person fighting for nationalist reasons for their region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 02:52 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,183 times
Maybe it's more accurate for me to say "perception of violent separatist movements".

Old 03-11-2012, 03:30 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
I think you're right, I can't think of many violent ones ongoing at the moment. The Balkans has been sorted out as far as I know by all these smaller countries having been created, ditto South Sudan, East Timor etc. Whatever happened to Chechnya, only I've heard of that doing well recently? Even in Wales there used to be a small group firebombing the holiday homes bought up by English people, but since they got given their own national parliament and laws promoting the language in the 90s I never hear of anything like that now.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
I wonder if it's just because the media is focusing more on things like the War on Terror, and economic troubles? One possible reason is that people realise that nation states aren't always what they're cracked up to be: witness what happened in Iceland. In other words, they are realising that perhaps being part of the larger government might be the better option, in practical terms. Most separatist movements are based on mostly subjective reasons like honour, pride, heritage.etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 12 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,924,923 times
There are still separatist movements happening in this decade so far such as for Belgium, India/Pakistan, Israel, Azerbaijan/Armenia, Puerto Rico, and Nigeria.

It seems relatively peaceful and not aggressive for Belgium and Puerto Rico’s case.

Some of those separatist movements still seem aggressive/violent such as in Nigeria, Azerbaijan/Armenia, and India/Pakistan. Also, what was happening in Sudan was a very aggressive/violent separatist movement and influenced the country of South Sudan to form.

However, aggressive/violent separatist movements still weakened/died down significantly compared to previous decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World