Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 05:03 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,850,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Partially due to the crime in the main tourist city, Rio.

Let's face it, it really isn't even that safe for an American tourist who doesn't speak Portuguese to walk in Copacabana at night.
People still visit New Orleans which is stupidly violent for a city in a developed country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 05:14 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,533,552 times
Argentina.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:23 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
People still visit New Orleans which is stupidly violent for a city in a developed country.
Doesn't compare to Rio.. Anyways, I don't understand the point of your comment. MalaMan asked, and the main reason that people don't go to Brasil is because of the violence and danger. You can use your comments about other American cities at what I say, but it is pointless.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:19 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
But nobody comes to visit!
It's simply very far from almost anywhere in the world, so it takes long and is expensive to get there. Add to that the language that only few people outside Brazil speak...

Frankly, be happy it is not a place inundated by tourists. Tourism is an economic plight, creating dependence on the whims of people from abroad. Countries without tourism are forced to bring about a solid, independent economy, which is a good thing.
Living in Portugal I can tell you that depending on tourism sucks.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It's simply very far from almost anywhere in the world, so it takes long and is expensive to get there. Add to that the language that only few people outside Brazil speak...

Frankly, be happy it is not a place inundated by tourists. Tourism is an economic plight, creating dependence on the whims of people from abroad. Countries without tourism are forced to bring about a solid, independent economy, which is a good thing.
Living in Portugal I can tell you that depending on tourism sucks.

Also look at what it lead to in Miami. Tourism can be great for an economy, but once it starts to revolve around tourism things can really go bad.

I think Rio and Brasil in general is an awesome place.. but for it to be a regular tourist destination there has to be a lot of change in the country.

Also, Mexico gets a huge wave of tourists from USA.. but how many tourists really venture from the Resorts? If I had to guess, the amount of people that go to cities in Mexico other than a day trip on the border or a resort probably isn't too much higher than the other Latin American countries.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Also look at what it lead to in Miami. Tourism can be great for an economy, but once it starts to revolve around tourism things can really go bad.

I think Rio and Brasil in general is an awesome place.. but for it to be a regular tourist destination there has to be a lot of change in the country.

Also, Mexico gets a huge wave of tourists from USA.. but how many tourists really venture from the Resorts? If I had to guess, the amount of people that go to cities in Mexico other than a day trip on the border or a resort probably isn't too much higher than the other Latin American countries.
I assume with Mexico and Miami tourism is also more or less based on sunshine, beach, and sex. That is a typical mix these days...
Places blessed by sunshine and beaches are like beautiful girls that think they can be successful in life by relying on their looks, without getting a solid education.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:41 PM

258 posts, read 160,206 times
Iceland. An amazing place...

Old 03-17-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Doesn't compare to Rio.. Anyways, I don't understand the point of your comment. MalaMan asked, and the main reason that people don't go to Brasil is because of the violence and danger. You can use your comments about other American cities at what I say, but it is pointless.
Yes is does actually compare to Rio and my point is a valid one, a simple comparison. And I said New Orleans not any other city. New Orleans has a murder rate of 58 per 100,000 Rio has a lower murder rate of 37 per 100,000.

Last edited by paull805; 03-17-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Yes is does actually compare to Rio and my point is a valid one, a simple comparison.

I don't get what you're trying to prove in it. Yes, NOLA does have crime and it is dirty. What do you want in response "ok" ? Doesn't take away from the fact that Rio is dangerous and people stay away a lot because of the crime.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 PM

I am pointing out that a city being violent doesn't mean there isn't tourism etc look at New Orleans look at Cape Town etc people still visit despite their high murder rates and Rio has a lower murder rate and it has been more than halved in a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World