Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I agree most Israelis travel either after their compulsory army service or after graduating from college before settling down. You can usually find Israeli tourists in all parts of the world.
I met some middle aged ladies from Israel who told me this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
Andorrans, Liechtensteiners, Samoans?

Compared to population size Hungary looks to have a great deal of "outbound tourists", but this might largely be people going through Hungary to somewhere else.

International tourism, number of departures | Data | Table

I'm cutting back a bit more so see you next Sunday!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Then why do i meet a American person in every country i go?
Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, England, Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Austria, Turkey, Thailand, Singapore, Japan.
You really need to compare it to population size

As you have correctly pointed out, you find US Citizens everywhere. If everything was in proportion however you would find around 15 US tourists for every Aussie and 10 US tourists for every Canadian. Obviosly you would expect to find more aussies in South East Asia, and more Americans/Canadians in North America, but in places such as Eastern Europe/The Middle east, Northern Africa and Japan/South Korea etc which are a long way from both coutries , the portion of tourists are nothing like 15 to 1 from my experience.

Nothing against US citizens, the Americans I run into are mostly very friendly and fun people, their own country is very diverse, and generally they get much shorter holiday periods than the rest of us.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-29-2012 at 10:28 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times
This is my list for highest percentage of people from countries that travel the most abroad:

UK/England British, French, Swiss, Germans, Dutch, Chinese, Japanese, Singaporeans, Danish, Swedish, Norwegians, Canadians, Australians, Italians, Americans, Israelis, Koreans.

Last edited by ; 04-29-2012 at 10:12 PM..

Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
*By airplane/At least 1000km by car.

my guess is...

Canadians, Americans, English, Dutch, Germans, French, Swiss, Italians, Russians, Indians, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Australians, New Zealanders.

but in what order i really have no idea.
What do you guys think?
I agree with most countries.

However, I don’t agree with Indians, New Zealanders, and Russians qualifying for the list quite like the other countries I mentioned and the other ones you mentioned.

The list I wrote was put in a certain order for my guesses and assumptions about that. Do you agree with those countries and the exact order of those countries?

Last edited by ; 04-29-2012 at 10:16 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,993,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

However, I don’t agree with Indians, New Zealanders, and Russians qualifying for the list quite like the other countries I mentioned and the other ones you mentioned.
Actually for Kiwis, I did hear that it's almost customary of them to at least have an Overseas Experience (spending at least a few months/years travelling/living abroad) at some point in their lives...

Indians - the country still has plenty of poor people, and also there's the fact they need visas to enter most countries. However, as their economy grows, that will slowly change.

Russians - I'm starting to see them more and more often everywhere I go and I heard there are quite a few areas of the world where the number of Russian tourists outnumbers that of Americans and etc (Egypt, Turkey, and Thailand are just some examples)... In short, it won't be long before they are smack right there with the rest of the countries in that list. Plus it also helps that (according to a number of Russians I met) it's often more expensive to holiday in their home country than elsewhere...

Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 AM

5 posts, read 9,517 times
I will say that Poles are the most travelling abroad nation in the world! Why? It's simple, wherever you go, you can find Polish people We love to travel, but it is also because of our very sad history. Couple times in history, milions of us had to flee from their homeland and start to live from scratch in different place of the globe...

Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,473 times
In relation to their small population, the Dutch will probably end very high in this poll. In summer, you cannot go five kilometer on a highway (especially southbound) without spotting at least one yellow-and-black Dutch license plate .

Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

Thailand is infested with Indians and Russians.
Have seen A LOT of them in Bangkok and Phuket.
Seen many Russians in the Turkish Riviera and Tokyo aswell and many Indians in Singapore.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
By "travel the most abroad", I think the OP meant the proportion of the population who do so, not the raw numbers.

From my very limited experience, a disproportionate number of Germans, Dutch, Scandinavians, Australians, and New Zealanders travel abroad, especially young ones.

One thing that shocks many Americans is exactly how long they travel abroad. It does not seem unusual for many of these nationalities to spend six months to a year away from home. This would be impossible, or at least require drastic lifestyle modifications, for most Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World