Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 07:43 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
prenatal/natal/postnatal care is not rocket science. There is no valid medical reasons not to have a baby in Mexico City. Or many other medical treatments/procedures for that matter. You are just prejudiced.

Rio and Sao Paulo in particular have two of the best hospitals in the World, the Instituto Nacional de Câncer and the Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein. Albert Einstein hospital was the first hospital outside of the US to be recognized by the Joint Commission International, in 1999. Many other Latin American hospitals have acquired that recognition since then.

why would anyone travel thousands of kilometers and spend thousands of dollars if they are gonna risk their lifes and put at stake their physical appeareance, getting subpar medical procedures in another country? nobody is gonna do such a thing if certain basic quality requirements aren't fulfilled.

tens of thousands of physicians in the U.S. are Asians, Latin Americans and people from "Third World" countries.

Not sure what you are taling about, calculus is indeed mandatory part of the curriculum in the Mexican school system. In Colombia (I took it in the last grade) and other countries too. Also calculus is not rocket science either, it's hilarious how you speak of it as if it was some hiperadvanced knowledge, only accesible to first world schoolboys.

[URL="http://www.gallup.com/poll/1825/about-one-four-americans-can-hold-conversation-second-language.aspx"]About One in Four American(ian)s Can Hold a Conversation in a Second Language[/URL] . And I suspect that's probably due to the fact that these people are immigrants/have immigrant background, and not because of the school system. "About one in five American[ian]s -- 19% -- believe that it is essential to speak a second language in general and an additional 50% of the population believe that knowledge of a foreign language is a valuable skill but is not necessarily essential. Nearly one-third -- 30% -- feel that it is not too important or not important at all to speak a second language". For one, most of the Americanians that have a daily contact with the Spanish language don't have a grasp on it, their inability to speak the language properly has even led to anthropologists and linguists to talk about "Mock Spanish": [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_Spanish"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_Spanish [/URL]

In Mexico as in many other countries, there are German/Italian/British or whatever private schools where you learn these languages first hand.

if that were true, you'd be proving me right. The average American doesn't go to Harvard, but to an "average college", hence, they would feel "at home" in Tec de Monterrey. But it isn't true. Tec de Monterrey is better ranked than at least 90% of U.S. colleges in any international university ranking. And, anyway, Tec de Monterrey isn't even the best Mexican college actually, it's the fifth or so: [URL="http://www.webometrics.info/es/Latin_America_es/M%C3%A9xico"]México | Ranking Web de Universidades[/URL]
I was going to respond to his post, but you nailed it.

As far as medical services, you can definitely get top notch service in countries like Colombia, Mexico and Brazil. I have had really good experiences in Brazil and Mexico- they helped me diagnose problems that American doctors couldn't figure out. American doctors are too controlled by the insurance bureaucracy, many times only offering topical solutions to deeper problems because they spend very little time with you.

Tijuana, Mexico also has some of the best cancer treatment centers in the world. I actually know about them from Americans who have had family members treated there.

What is problematic in many Latin American countries is medical services in rural or small town areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 08:05 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Are you serious? I missed that one. lol
I figure it out right away, I don't know how others miss it.

It was on a post about ethnicity (surprise, surprise).

Old 06-08-2016, 11:39 AM

990 posts, read 881,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I was going to respond to his post, but you nailed it.

As far as medical services, you can definitely get top notch service in countries like Colombia, Mexico and Brazil. I have had really good experiences in Brazil and Mexico- they helped me diagnose problems that American doctors couldn't figure out. American doctors are too controlled by the insurance bureaucracy, many times only offering topical solutions to deeper problems because they spend very little time with you.

Tijuana, Mexico also has some of the best cancer treatment centers in the world. I actually know about them from Americans who have had family members treated there.

What is problematic in many Latin American countries is medical services in rural or small town areas.
You guys have to understand that Americans are brainwashed by health care insurance companies propaganda. They believe medical treatment is a work made by special humans with super machines. In US you pay thousands of dollars for simple nurse services…
Health care insurance companies propaganda do they believe that in US they pay ridiculous high values for medical treatments because treatment in US is superior than rest of the world.

U.S. lies about Canadian Health Care « Canadian Health Coalition

Public universities is in the same way. Do you think that countries as Brazil that produce and export airplanes by a national company (EMBRAER) third bigger in the world and many other technologic stuffs would be possible without excellent colleges??

ITA is a kind of ‘’Brazilian Havard’’ but free, that graduate most part of Brazilians C.O.’s, many politicians and most brilliant engineers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instit...ron%C3%A1utica

Old 06-08-2016, 03:52 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Not really bringing any news here but definitely NOT Bulgaria. Just when I thought shooting gangsters is a thing from the past, they shot one today, meters from where I live. And also in the news: 1 million euro stolen from a robbery of pensioner's fund 0_0.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Does economic equality correlate with social mobility? If true, I'll admit I didn't know that. Yes, Eastern Europe has greater economic equality than much of the West, but it's because everyone is getting by, with few rich and few starving.

To me, the most dynamic economies in the world seem to be those with higher income variation and they seem to have greater social mobility. And it isn't like Western Europe or the U.S. have more poor than Eastern Europe; they just have far more people at the higher end of the income spectrum. That's good income inequality, IMO.
I would expect the larger the income inequality, lower the social mobility as it takes more to move from bottom to top. The US as well as the UK generally rank low on social mobility indicators. If you mean social mobility as in chance of an ambitious immigrant could succeed, the US probably does better that way but that's not what those indicators measure.

Quote:
And yeah, Czech republic is developed, but also clearer poorer than places like Vienna. You drive or take a train from Vienna to Prague (or Bratislava, or any "developed" former Eastern Bloc city) and it still looks comparatively poor. Even East Germany still looks poor. Compare Stuttgart to Leipzig. East Germany, after hundreds of billions in investment, still looks 40 years behind, and everyone over the age of 50 looks different.
Yes, I visited the Czech Republic and took a short trip into Austria. The difference in wealth was noticeable in the landscape. But the Czech Republic and especially Prague didn't look poor in the sense of deprived of anything; people looked healthy and everything was in good shape and amnenities modern, but you can get a sense disposable income was lower there.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:55 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
We can't ever overly generalize these labels between "1st World/Developed" compared to "2nd World/3rd World/Developing!" Each country is unique, and comparing statistics, travel adventure stories, or civil residencies of living there is usually never following any set established patterns to use these extreme classification barriers.

High quality of life, Architecture, Independent Cafe variety, Bars, Nightclub Discotheques, all Nightlife, Tourist Friendly, Landmark Icons, City Town Urban Destinations, Nature Scenery Draws, Welcoming To Foreigners, Restaurants Food Atmosphere, Ethical Values Of Morality, Cultural Standards, Individual Freedom, Spirituality outside of Religion, Satisfying Vibes, Global Peace Index, and Happiness are never having to reach a sacrifice, and are all happening regardless of the 1st World/Developed or 2nd World/3rd World/Developing status at an equal amount to a very high frequency to observe.

Avoid the extreme divide of ignorance. I never omit or cancel out any of the essential amazing countries outside of the first label. Empowering to understand those "Developing 2nd to 3rd World" countries, especially at the optimal area zones, are able to correspond, equally mirror, or even occasionally end up more desirable than some 1st World "Developed" nations.

Give me Romania, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Poland, mainland China outside of Hong Kong/Macau, Argentina, Chile, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Kazakhstan, Croatia, Hungary, Indonesia, some areas of Turkey, Brazil, Peru, or Fiji compared to Ireland/Estonia/Lithuania/UK/New Zealand/Luxembourg/Saudi Arabia/Israel.

The basic reply is yes! Developing Nations are able to offer the same exact quality of life compared to the developed ones according to a wide variety of objective measures, and expression modes to a honest accurate spiritual revelation.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:25 PM

7,454 posts, read 4,688,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, basically what I'm getting from this discussion is that - There are many developing nations which now have certain areas of prosperity - "islands," if you will.

If you can afford to live in those places, then your standard of living will be pretty similar to what the average is in any developed western country.
The standard of living will be better because daily living costs are cheaper. Five dollar meals in US is a value meal without the tax whereas five dollars there gets you to eat in a sit-in restaurant, something like a less fancy version of Ruby Tuesday, tax included.

Last edited by Yippeekayay; 06-23-2016 at 08:39 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 08:34 PM

7,454 posts, read 4,688,527 times
Here is an example meal. Grilled leg and thigh chicken with rice. It's Php99 = $2.50. You can't have this in US anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ej-rMbCTxg

Old 06-24-2016, 11:44 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Greece was never a developed country. They had to get Goldman Sachs to help them commit fraud on a massive scale to get into the EU. We have all seen the result. We are talking about a county whose largest export is feta cheese...
Wrong. For a long time in the Classical Antiquity, Greece was the most developed country of the world.

Old 09-05-2021, 02:12 AM

432 posts, read 285,328 times
Namibia is safer than America mexico and Windhoek is modern so is other bigger cities in the coastal areas. Germans live there with no issues many vacation there with no issues its not like southern America where a white supremacist will kill 20 mexicans because they're brown. You can walk anywhere and feel safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World