Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:14 PM

250 posts, read 661,832 times

Advertisements

Oh, and I forgot: One can participate in Debate, Dance, Drama, Marching Band, Newspaper as extracirriculars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 07:21 PM

250 posts, read 661,832 times
Oh, and I forgot: One can participate in Debate, Dance, Drama, Marching Band, Newspaper as extracirriculars.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:35 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
The system of school education in the United States does not have a centralised structure and may vary from state to state. As the school system of any other country of the world, it has its own, sometimes unique features. In Russia there is the Ministry of education and in each area of education and the program of the same.
Russian post Graduate is NOT EQUAL to the American master's and never was. Currently, it is no doubt the majority of Russian and foreign experts. With regard to doctoral and PH.D., that, and the content of programmes, and in fact, PH.D. and there is nothing else, as a post-graduate course. The Russian (Soviet) doctoral studies almost nowhere in the world, and there are no analogues of the Russian Academy of Sciences, is the Conclusion made by Russian and American experts, the education in Russia is a unique and more progressive than in Europe or America. But Russia signed the Bologna Declaration, to education was closer to the European and the American system, which I think is a very big mistake.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
It's ok but I hate school. Stats at 9 and finishes at 3:30. Our summer lasts from end of June to September. But for me this year it started on June 18th and ends on September 3rd. In England they only they 6 weeks off. Our education system is basically from year 1 to year 14. Year 1 to year 7 is primary school (6-12) and year 8 to year 14 is secondary school. I goto a grammar school and we have sixth form it's kind of crap because you do your gcses and then you are kicked out of school and have to enter to get back in again for a levels. Ugh.

Oh and yes we have uniform, for me it is trousers, shirt, tie and a blazer.

Here is a typical day.

8.55 first bell
9. Second bell
9-9.07 registration
9.07-40 first period
9.40-10.10 second period
10.10-10.45 third period

assembely or form class

11-11.15 break
11.15-1 4-6 periods
1-1.45 lunch
1.45-3.30 7-9 periods.

Last edited by Mac15; 08-08-2012 at 02:45 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
As for the grading system used in American schools, it's generally from "A" to "F" in all but the earlier elementary years, when my school system (and the others that I knew of) graded students as "U" (unsatisfactory), "S" (satisfactory), or "E" (excellent).

As for the "A" to "F" system, it excludes "E" and usually includes qualifiers ("+" or "-" in with the exception of "A", which has a "-" but no "+", although "A+" is a common expression) and F, which is not qualified at all as it is a failing grade. "F" was anything under 60% in my high school; "D" was generally 60-69%, "C" was 70-79%, "B" 80-89%, and "A" 90% or above. What percentages were qualified depended on the teacher; generally, 88% was a "B+" and 82% a "B-".

Beginning in 6th grade (in the school I went to) and continuing throughout university, the grades of the classes are averaged (weighted for credit, of course) to produce a GPA (grade point average) score. In all my schools it worked as follows:

A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F 0.0

One must have a 1.0 GPA to be promoted to the next grade at the high school I attended.

For most students, anything below a "B" or "B-" is considered a poor grade, except perhaps in some especially difficult classes (such as mathematics courses).

What percentage of a teacher's class is determined by assignments or tests and how they are graded is at the discretion of the individual teacher, as is the strictness of the grading. Once, when I was doing poorly in a class, the teacher was so impressed by my paper that she gave me a 117% on it, which alone raised my overall grade for the class. Some teachers are known to be easy graders and others are known for their rigor. Studies have proven that considerable "grade inflation" has taken place over the years, to the point now where teachers are afraid to give students who make something of an effort less than a "B", probably partly out of fear that their parents will come in and complain to them. This even happens at the university level!

Some schools automatically give students taking honor classes an additional one-point advantage for those classes, so it is possible to have a GPA above 4.0. My school did not do this.

Universities principally look at the student's GPA and their ACT or SAT score (two parallel college admissions tests developed by two private corporations), although they also factor in their course load (whether it consisted of easy or difficult classes), extracurricular activities, status as an ethnic minority, etc.
When you say a B is considered a poor grade what kind of % do you have to get in tests for that? Where I ive a B+ is considered a good grade. I'm told American tests are far easier than ours.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 AM

Guys, there Are Examples of tests for admission to U.S. universities, and others. And how is points in accordance with your system? Please write very interesting. And the main tests in the universities.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:15 AM

The guys are there at Yale or MIT universities forum? If there is this link please! Thanks in advance!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 AM

581 posts, read 969,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
When you say a B is considered a poor grade what kind of % do you have to get in tests for that? Where I ive a B+ is considered a good grade. I'm told American tests are far easier than ours.
B's are in the 85% area. Where the plus and minus fit in can vary, but a normal B is centered on 85, and the B- to B+ scale goes from 80-89%. Following this, an A is centered around 95, a C is centered around 75, a D is centered around 65, and anything below 60 is an F.

However, some schools use this system:
A:100-93%
B: 92-85%
C: 84-76%
D: 75-68%
F: 67% and below

There's also the bell curve system, where all the grades will be averaged, the average number set as C, the highest grade set as A, the lowest set as F. They are then distributed in between. This is very rare in elementary or high schools but common in universities and graduate schools.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:37 AM

Ok the tests are obviously easier because where I live we have to get 66% for a B and a B is considered a good grade. Are there any samples of tests online?

I actually wish our education system was like the USA education system then it would be easier to get a good job because its harder here.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:25 PM

581 posts, read 969,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Ok the tests are obviously easier because where I live we have to get 66% for a B and a B is considered a good grade. Are there any samples of tests online?

I actually wish our education system was like the USA education system then it would be easier to get a good job because its harder here.
Apparently US tests are easier... because people over here have mental breakdowns if they get 66%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World