Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 12:10 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The stereotype about Asians being short actually wasn't about Asians as a whole, but Japanese, mainly. It was noted sometime back around the 70's that after the Japanese diet improved, the Japanese grew taller, and could no longer fit through the doorways of the traditional houses. Also, Japanese living in the US tended to grow taller than the norm in the early part of the 20th century. In any case, it was due to diet. I imagine the war years were especially hard on the people.

I noticed in Taiwan that men from middle class, or upper middle class families were taller and more robust than the majority of Taiwanese men. Better nutrition, whether quantity or quality.
The majority of Taiwanese people are middle class or upper middle class. Taiwan has a very low level of poverty or working poor.

Asians are still shorter than white people in general (ok maybe not Russians or Spaniards). Sure there are also lots of tall people as well and indeed, new generations are on average taller than older ones, but the majority of the population are still short by European or American standard.

Last edited by Greysholic; 07-01-2016 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 02:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
Ummmm...I think he was talking about something else.
They don't all go around with a trenchcoat and a camera on a strap.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:55 AM

69 posts, read 85,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm a 5'6", 125 lb. woman, and I felt like a giant in Japan. A tall, robust giant. Granted I haven't been there since 1989, so maybe the average height has increased during those years, but it definitely was the case that the Japanese at that time were short (and slim) compared to white Americans.

I'm sure it's also true that the average height of Japanese HAS increased since the early 20th century. The old women I saw in Japan at that time, who would have been born in the 1890-1910 range, were teeny tiny, well under 5 feet tall. The young women were more in the 5'1"-5'4" range.
I went to Japan four years ago, but the people there were still pretty short on average. I was still slightly taller than the average Japanese girls and women (I am a 1.63 m tall girl). Koreans are still taller than Japanese, even the Chinese from the northern parts of China are still taller than Japanese. Only people from the southern parts of China and Hong Kong who are just as short as the Japanese on average.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:44 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The stereotype about Asians being short actually wasn't about Asians as a whole, but Japanese, mainly. It was noted sometime back around the 70's that after the Japanese diet improved, the Japanese grew taller, and could no longer fit through the doorways of the traditional houses. Also, Japanese living in the US tended to grow taller than the norm in the early part of the 20th century. In any case, it was due to diet. I imagine the war years were especially hard on the people.

I noticed in Taiwan that men from middle class, or upper middle class families were taller and more robust than the majority of Taiwanese men. Better nutrition, whether quantity or quality.
Japanese people are still very short, they just used to be way way shorter. The doorways in thise old houses are about mid-chest height on me (average caucasian height), people are about max of chin height on me.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:02 AM

733 posts, read 603,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm a 5'6", 125 lb. woman, and I felt like a giant in Japan. A tall, robust giant. Granted I haven't been there since 1989, so maybe the average height has increased during those years, but it definitely was the case that the Japanese at that time were short (and slim) compared to white Americans.

I'm sure it's also true that the average height of Japanese HAS increased since the early 20th century. The old women I saw in Japan at that time, who would have been born in the 1890-1910 range, were teeny tiny, well under 5 feet tall. The young women were more in the 5'1"-5'4" range.
I'm a 6-feet guy and I never felt like a giant in Tokyo during my week-long visit. I'm definitely noticeably taller than the average, but the difference isn't that remarkable. Japanese people are probably as tall as Mexicans.

The real remarkable difference between Japanese and everybody else is weight. Japanese people are way more slender and healthy than the rest of the world.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Japanese people are still very short, they just used to be way way shorter. The doorways in thise old houses are about mid-chest height on me (average caucasian height), people are about max of chin height on me.
I wish I could be a tiny Japanese girl under 5 feet. Only in that way would I sit comfortably on the cramped seat in economy cabin on most U.S carriers.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:46 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
I wish I could be a tiny Japanese girl under 5 feet. Only in that way would I sit comfortably on the cramped seat in economy cabin on most U.S carriers.
Lol I don't think the economy seats are comfortable for anyone, even small people. Those seats are horrible.

I think there are more tall people in Mexico vs. Japan. Most of my Mexican family and friends are tall people.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:23 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
I'm a 6-feet guy and I never felt like a giant in Tokyo during my week-long visit. I'm definitely noticeably taller than the average, but the difference isn't that remarkable. Japanese people are probably as tall as Mexicans.

The real remarkable difference between Japanese and everybody else is weight. Japanese people are way more slender and healthy than the rest of the world.
Mexicans are not that tall on average.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:24 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Lol I don't think the economy seats are comfortable for anyone, even small people. Those seats are horrible.

I think there are more tall people in Mexico vs. Japan. Most of my Mexican family and friends are tall people.
You might be an exception

Old 07-02-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Mexicans are not that tall on average.
I haven't been to Mexico. My experience is based on Latinos in Texas. Maybe Mexicans in Mexico suffer from malnutrition and therefore are shorter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World