Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 04:02 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

United States or United Kingdom in:

1. Frendliness U.S.
2. Safety [b]U.S]/B]
3. Cultural contribution U.K.
4. Politics U.S.
5. Economy U.S.
6. Women U.K.
7. Environment U.S.
8. Scenery U.S.
9. Weather U.S.
10. Location U.K.
11. Sports U.S.
12. Cuisine U.S.
13. Transportation U.K.
14. Infrastructure Tie
15. Healthcare U.S.
16. Education U.S.
17. Affordability U.S.
18. Pop culture U.K.
19. History U.K.
20. Architecture U.K.
21. Colleges/Universities U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 04:34 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Affordability isn't as black and white either. Although gas & housing (in some states) is cheaper, I find the following more expensive in the US:

- Healthcare (no brainier)
- Car insurance
- Mobile phone contracts
- Food (as in meat, dairy, fruit & veg)
- Car repairs
- Rents
- Vets
- Utilities
- Air travel
- Property tax is much more than council tax in many states
- Going out for drinks
- Furniture
How much do you pay per KWH? Phone?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Quote:
Affordability isn't as black and white either. Although gas & housing (in some states) is cheaper, I find the following more expensive in the US:

- Healthcare (no brainier)
- Car insurance
- Mobile phone contracts
- Food (as in meat, dairy, fruit & veg)
- Car repairs
- Rents
- Vets
- Utilities
- Air travel
- Property tax is much more than council tax in many states
- Going out for drinks
- Furniture
I have visited the UK countless times including London, Bath, Edinburgh, and parts of Wales and aside from perhaps healthcare and air travel (thanks to Ryanair) I find items to cost more in the UK then the US. The cost of housing in London alone exceeds New York City even.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:44 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
United States or United Kingdom in:

1. Frendliness
2. Safety
3. Cultural contribution
4. Politics
5. Economy
6. Women
7. Environment
8. Scenery
9. Weather
10. Location
11. Sports
12. Cuisine
13. Transportation
14. Infrastructure
15. Healthcare
16. Education
17. Affordability
18. Pop culture
19. History
20. Architecture
21. Colleges/Universities

*Please explain your answer. You don't have to write a term paper about it but explain with answers that makes sense. No nonsense, please.*

Well, I'm American but I lived in the UK (London and Edinburgh) for a few years (up until May 2011), so here's some of my take on things:

1) Friendliness: There are friendly and unfriendly people in both countries. I think that Americans are more friendly on the surface and more willing to be your friend initially. They're definitely more open, warm, and talkative than the Brits I would say. The Brits, on the other hand, are generally more reserved and quiet people, but still a very nice bunch overall. Once you break past their initial shell and become real friends with them, they're some of the nicest and most loyal people around. I really have no problems with the Brits overall and some of my closest friends are British.

2) Safety: Good and bad areas in both countries (as everywhere in the world). However, although I believe the crime rate is higher overall in the US, I think you're probably more likely to be the victim of crime in the UK. Although, like I mentioned, there are good and bad areas in both countries, I think in the US it is more concentrated overall so that the vast majority of Americans don't really experience any type of crime in their everyday lives. In the UK, I think one experiences more petty crime in their everyday lives (petty theft, chavs, issues arising from drunkards, etc.) For a more specific example, I've heard of people being robbed at knifepoint in Knightsbridge, something that is basically completely unheard of in a comparably affluent area such as Beverly Hills. Overall though, for the normal person, you'll, more than likely, be fine in your everyday life in both countries.

3) Cultural Contribution: This is tough. Both countries have amazing cultures, but they're very different from each other. I don't think that one is better than the other necessarily, they're just different. I enjoy both cultures very much.

4) Politics: Both countries' politics aren't particularly pleasant, I'd say. Nor are neither of them really in a good place at the moment. But, I think that American politics definitely tend to be more vicious, on average, than their British counterparts. Just take a look at the Politics Forum here on C-D. I mean, c'mon, the current Presidential race makes previous elections for Prime Minister look like Pee-Wee's Playhouse lol. Also, I think the UK is more "liberal" overall than the USA (I think many parts of the US are just as, if not more liberal, than the UK, but there are also parts which are much more conservative, imo).

5) Economy: Neither one is doing fabulously right now, but I'll go with the US. The UK is still in recession (economy has shrunk for the past 3 quarters I believe). I mean, at least the US is growing (albeit at a less than desirable pace). Both have too much debt though. In the US you almost always make more money too and everything costs less. Americans tend to have more purchasing power and have a higher GDP per capita (PPP) and a higher average disposable income and average wage as well.

6) Women: Far too subjective. Good and bad women in both countries. However, I think one has more choice and variety of women in the US (larger, much more diverse population), so I'll give it to the US.

7) Environment: I really don't know too much about this to make an informed opinion, but from the limited knowledge that I do have, my first instinct would be to give the nod to the UK.

8) Scenery: US, hands down. Don't get me wrong, the UK has some seriously stunning scenery, but it just can't compete with the vast and differing amounts of scenery that one can find in the US. The US is just bigger and has more scenery in more climates than the UK, easily. The US national parks are just amazing too.

9) Weather: US, hands down. I just think the overall weather in UK is absolutely abysmal tbh (especially since I'm from SoCal). The UK is just crap weather year-round and I find all the rain, overcast, gray, minimum sunlight in winter,etc, etc. to be too depressing for my liking. Plus, the US has basically every type of climate on earth so you can pick basically whatever climate you want to live in. If you want a UK-esque climate, you can also get it in the US.

10) Location: UK. It's just closer to the rest of the world. I mean, Europe (and the UK) is basically right in the center of the world, geographically speaking. You can access and travel to other countries much easier.

11) Sports: Tie. I really depends on one's preferences. Neither are bad, just different.

12) Cuisine: I think the US wins here. It just has much more variety and choice (both in terms of the ethnic sense, but all in terms of number of stores, restaurants, etc. available). Now, I think London is definitely on par with any major US city in terms of its cuisine, but the rest of the UK is not yet on the same level as the rest of the US is, in my opinion. There's been major improvement in British cuisine in the past few decades, that's for sure, but I think it still needs to do some catching up (at least, outside of London). I think that the UK has some very good fresh produce though, and its cheaper than what you might pay for the equivalent at say Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

13) Transportation: Depends, but I'll say the UK. The US is basically a car-dependent society in most of the country. Also, British public transit tends to be much better (although not as good as on continental Europe or in Asia).

14) Infrastructure: Depends (Tie). Both have good and bad bits all over their respective countries. I think the US infrastructure (in terms of roads, bridges,etc.) though, tends to get MUCH more usage than their British counterparts just due to population size and the fact that the US is largely car-dependent. But, let's face it, neither one are Japan or Germany in this department.

15) Healthcare: You could write a novel on this. If you have no insurance in the US, then obviously the UK by a mile. I think if you do have insurance in the US though, then that can change your experience and opinion quite dramatically. I fully support a universal health care system in the US and really don't have too many gripes with the NHS from my own, personal experiences. At least it's always there. And let's face facts, the US healthcare system is desperately broken and needs repair. I think a single payer system would do us wonders. There are obviously downsides to both systems, but, like I said, at least the NHS is always there and the British people absolutely love it and are proud of it (rightfully so).

16) Education: Tie. Again, it really depends. Both have some amazing and some not so amazing schools. Their universities are also the best in the world, bar none. So good on both of them for that.

17) Affordability: The US hands down. Nearly everything in the US is cheaper, everything. This is especially true of housing. In general, you'll pay 2-3x more for housing (unless you're in like NYC or Cali) in the UK that is much smaller, more crammed, older, and generally lower quality, in my opinion at least. Plus, the houses are generally right on top of each other or, in a lot of the cases, completely attached to another house. You won't get nearly as much land with your property either. But, to be fair, it's not really their fault as they don't have nearly as much space as we do. Also, I prefer houses with the proper central heating (not a radiator in a room) and AC (not that you'd use it much anyways), and don't get me started on the sinks and the crazy 2 taps for separate hot and cold water lol. Older houses generally also come with a lot more "baggage" than one might think of initially. I just greatly prefer the bigger, newer houses, but that's just me. Also, in terms of the majority of shopping items, clothing, eating out, bills (utilities), cars, etc. etc. things are more expensive in the UK. Everyday life is just generally more expensive in the UK than the US. However, that's not to say that there aren't things in the UK that are cheaper than they are in the US, there are, but generally the US is far cheaper. Plus, like I mentioned in a previous point, people generally make more money in the US on top of things being cheaper, so that really helps out a lot. You just generally have more purchasing power in the US in my opinion.

18) Pop culture: Probably the two biggest contributors to pop culture in the world, but I'll give it to the US because they just have more acts overall. Everything ranging from film to TV shows, to music, to trends, celebrities in general just seems to be majorly exported and wildly successful throughout the world. Brits (as well as the rest of the world) consume tons of American films, TV shows, music, etc. Much more than vice versa I'd say.

19) History: The UK. Both have lots of history, but the UK is just older and seems to be oozing with history everywhere you go. Not to say the US doesn't have any, but I say the UK overall.

20) Architecture: Tie. Depends on what you want. UK is older and US is more modern. Both have amazing architecture though with some of the most visual stunning cities, buildings, etc. on the planet. Both countries have accomplished major architectural feats. So I guess it just depends.

21) Colleges/ Universities: The two countries with the best universities, by a landslide. People flock form all over the world to attend uni in both of these countries. The US has more top ranked unis overall though.

EDIT: One thing that really bothered me about the UK though was the HUGE and ever-present drunken culture. I mean there are definitely problems in the US too, but the UK is on a whole other level. It's just really bad. Some nights it can seem like the whole country is just a nation of drunkards.

I like both countries, but overall I'm much happier and greatly prefer to live in the US. It just offers me a much better lifestyle than I ever could have in the UK. But, since, it's also my home, I suppose I'm biased as well, so........

*Also, very nice job with the opening ceremonies Brits! I thought it was a fantastic show and I thoroughly enjoyed it!*

Last edited by CityLover9; 07-28-2012 at 12:16 AM..

Old 07-28-2012, 06:20 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
@CityLover9

Many of these are down to personal opinion rather than being better or worse in either country, but cuisine? The US may have edged it 30 years ago, but British cuisine alone has undergone a massive renaissance over the past couple of decades and even small towns in the UK have plenty of restaurant choices, whether ethnic or British. Even "pub grub" in Britain has gone up several notches.

Most US cities really don't have a massive amount of choice, aside from chain restaurants that really doesn't count. There are exceptions though.

British supermarkets are also generally much better when it comes to variety of meats, cheeses, fruits & vegetables. US supermarkets tend to be more loaded with processed and packaged stuff.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:54 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
Is'nt American beef banned in Europe because of possible cancer links?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:48 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Is'nt American beef banned in Europe because of possible cancer links?
It was the growth hormones used in US beef. Banned in the EU.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Most US cities really don't have a massive amount of choice, aside from chain restaurants that really doesn't count. There are exceptions though.
What's most U.S. cities? The Washington DC area has non-chain restaurants from just about every kind of food available.

People seemed to be surprised when I tell them this, because DC is not considered to be among the top 5 or so U.S. food cities (although it's probably top 10).

Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Quote:

British supermarkets are also generally much better when it comes to variety of meats, cheeses, fruits & vegetables. US supermarkets tend to be more loaded with processed and packaged stuff.
Define "most US cities".

In my experience living and visiting cities such Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Miami, Atlanta, NYC, DC, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco and even some of the smaller cities and towns in the US have no shortage of independent restaurants and in most cases outnumber the chain restaurants.

However I will agree with you that processed food is more prevalent in the US compared with the UK or the rest of the world.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:57 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
UK for just about every category, sorry. The US is better if you're wealthy or upper middle class, but I'm not, not do I have any desire to be.
Why, I wonder?

( Me personally - I feel the same way.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World