Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: IYO more interesting megalopolis
BosWash 28 80.00%
Pearl River Delta 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:13 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,895 times

Advertisements

Two big megalopolises, with some big cities.

BosWash cities population
NYC- 22M
Boston- 7.6M
Philadelphia- 6.5M
DC- 6M
Baltimore- 2.8M

Others or attractions- Atlantic City, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Fredericksburg, etc.

Pearl River delta cities
Guangzhou- 12.7M
Shenzhen- 10.3M
Dongguan- 8.2M
Foshan- 7.2M
Hong Kong- 7M
Huizhou- 4.6M
Jiangmen- 4.5M
Zhongshan- 3.1M

Others or attractions- Macau and Zhuhai, etc

Which megalopolis interests you more?

Next comparison will be between the Taiheyo Belt and the Blue Banana!

Last edited by scrantiX; 12-16-2012 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Bos-Wash by far. Bos-Wash has the most interesting cities in America and among the world, and NYC is my favourite city in the world. Most of the cities in the PRD are too new and have no character. Hong Kong is the only one that interests me.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:42 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Bos-Wash by far. Bos-Wash has the most interesting cities in America and among the world, and NYC is my favourite city in the world. Most of the cities in the PRD are too new and have no character. Hong Kong is the only one that interests me.
I'm with you on BosWash, but think that saying some of these cities are too new and have no character is inaccurate. Guangzhou is pretty amazing and has plenty of history as do Foshan, Jiangman and others. What's ironic is that relatively little of this sometimes thousands of years of history present in some of these cities has been bulldozed more often than the few hundreds of years of history present in BosWash.

Guangzhou is awesome though. Lots of old architecture and monuments from various eras, some of these with entire intact neighborhoods especially from the colonial era. Lots of interesting new construction is there, too. It also has the pretty awesome little africa neighborhood.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm with you on BosWash, but think that saying some of these cities are too new and have no character is inaccurate. Guangzhou is pretty amazing and has plenty of history as do Foshan, Jiangman and others. What's ironic is that relatively little of this sometimes thousands of years of history present in some of these cities has been bulldozed more often than the few hundreds of years of history present in BosWash.

Guangzhou is awesome though. Lots of old architecture and monuments from various eras, some of these with entire intact neighborhoods especially from the colonial era. Lots of interesting new construction is there, too. It also has the pretty awesome little africa neighborhood.
That's more what i've been referring to. You can say that such and such a town is an ancient city but if it has little or none of that architecture left it's meaningless to me.

The Shanghai conurbation interests me more. It has Hangzhou, Suzhou, two of the most beautiful cities in China. I wouldn't mind checking out Guangzhou, though.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:22 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
I'd personally love to visit the Pearl River delta cities and I try to learn as much about them as I can. I'd love to spend a year in Shenzhen or Hong Kong. That said, it's mostly because they're truly foreign to me, if I were from somewhere where both megalopolises were alien to me, like say Iran, I'd choose Bos-Wash because it's objectively the more interesting of the two and offers the greatest diversity of experiences and environments.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Since I have chosen to live in the Washington, D.C. area for most of my life (so far), I think it's evident which of these two megapolises I prefer. If it's not clear, let me just say that I am familiar with all the major BosWash cities and I continue to be fascinated by this region of the United States - especially New York City.

Having said that, I've never been to China, and Hong Kong is definitely one of the cities I'd like to visit some day. So, it's something I look forward to.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:44 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,575 times
BOS-WASH by far. I have been to Guangzhou several times and have been to a couple of the other Pearl River Delta cities. Even though much of the Pearl River urban area is new, it is still run down looking, very much more of a "3rd world" vibe outside of the areas with money due to the fact that they are in China. To me that is not cool at all as a visitor. This corridor along with the rest of China is far, far from being fully developed in what that means on the ground, no matter how big their economy is.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:38 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,012 times
PRD region by far. has the best city in the world, the biggest gaming center, some of the worlds best nightlife, history, skyscrapers, climate is not the best but infinitely better than boswash, etc.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 9,750 times
Well, I love Boston, NYC, and DC, because there's something for everyone in each. However, China kind of scares me in the two-minded midset: school, sleep, school, do technology or child labor. I understand that this is a generalization, but the culture rubs me the wrong way. On the other hand, I find the PEOPLE very kind and friendly, whereas New England can be kind of cold.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
I've been to Hong Kong once with my friend who accompanied myself & my father there for his business trip but our fun trip. I loved Hong Kong and it's one of my top 5 or 6 favorite cities in the entire world- love everything about it. The one thing that drops it below 4 or 5 other cities for me is that it's insanely expensive- it makes New York & London feel like they offer infinitely more for the money you'll be spending. Housing in Hong Kong is outrageously expensive- outrageously.

I'll rank the cities in the OP in terms of preference to live in- I haven't been to any of the other Pearl River cities but I've read quite enough about them to have an idea whereas I've been to every single Bos-Wash city & for some multiple times as well as the fact that I live in one of them (Washington DC). I would greatly love to visit Macau, Shenzhen (especially), & Guangzhou some day. They are also on my bucket list.

1. New York
2. Hong Kong & Washington DC (Washington to live- Hong Kong to visit)
3. Boston
4. Shenzhen
5. Guangzhou
6. Macau

Those are the only ones that interest me from the collective cities of both lists. That'll be all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World