Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: yes or no
Si! 40 48.78%
No way Jose 42 51.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:24 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times

Advertisements

Notice how i said important instead of influential.

China is an economic powerhouse. Mandarin has more speakers than spanish, but it is mainly concentrated in south east asia. It is also a hard language making many potential students shy away.

French is extremely influencial throughout the world. Is is the second language in many important international organizations
It is the official language in more than 20 plus countries, but is not the majority language in many of them.

Spanish is the second language most studied worldwide after english. It is an easy language to learn, and efficient making it very practical.

Excuse my grammar, my smartphone is acting stupid.

Although french has a rising population of speakers in africa, spanish has a more faster rising population in latin america with a m higher standard of living, and where spanish is the majority language.

French is a more influential language than spanish in Europe, but still competes with english and german, while it competes with arabic in africa.

While this might not count, spanish and portuguese are the closest languages of the ten more influential languages in world. Giving a spanish speaker potential access to another 200 million people.

Now i know an Englishman might find french more important, but on a global scale which language is the second most important?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:50 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
I voted yes on a world scale, but generally spanish is not very important for us down here, it would rank behind several Asian languages in my opinion.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 03-14-2013 at 01:58 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
I don't really know what to vote. It clearly is one of the most important languages in the world - but it's very concentrated in the New World. In Europe, it's just one of the major languages besides English, French, German, Russian and Italian. In (Sub-Saharan) Africa, French and English are the languages. In Asia, it's Arabic, Hindi, Urdu and Mandarin. Oceania is English.

I think its major importance actually comes from its increasing status as second language in the United States (in some US areas even first language).

Last edited by Avondrood; 03-14-2013 at 05:22 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Chinese.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:54 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
I don't really know what to vote. It clearly is one of the most important languages in the world - but it's very concentrated in the New World. In Europe, it's just one of the major languages besides English, French, German, Russian and Italian. In (Sub-Saharan) Africa, French and English are the languages. In Asia, it's Arabic, Hindi, Urdu and Mandarin. Oceania is English.

I think its major importance actually comes from its increasing status as second language in the United States (in some US areas even first language).
There's only one area of the US that speaks Spanish as its primary language and that is Puerto Rico. Nowhere else in the US is Spanish the first language, not even Miami or the Rio Grande Valley in southern Texas

Old 03-14-2013, 06:06 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There's only one area of the US that speaks Spanish as its primary language and that is Puerto Rico. Nowhere else in the US is Spanish the first language, not even Miami or the Rio Grande Valley in southern Texas
Ah okay, didn't know that. Frankly, I always thought Spanish had become the first language in Miami and in parts of the southwest such as (parts of) New Mexico, Rio Grande Valley,...

Old 03-14-2013, 07:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Money makes the world go round, and it's far more important to know English and Chinese to do business. The decision makers in Spanish speaking countries speak English.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I beg to differ. The Florida DMV offers the drivers book in English and Spanish, and the drivers test can be taken in either language. There's a reason behind that. There are parts of Florida where you simply will not find English speakers.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
English & Chinese are the commercial languages with Korean, Japanese, French, German, and Spanish on a lower tier IMO. Spanish - however, is one of the most useful languages to know in the western hemisphere.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post

Spanish is the second language most studied worldwide after english. It is an easy language to learn, and efficient making it very practical.
What you have described only applies to you and your neighbors. Spanish is studied by a very tiny number of people as a second language, except by people who speak English as a first language. The number of people who study Spanish as a second language after English is practically zero, and is the second language only of English-first speakers.

Spanish is not at all easy to learn for an Arabic or a Hindi or a Mandarin speaker, unless they already know an Indo-European language that uses the Roman alphabet.

Spanish is one of the languages of the Western Hemisphere, but 85% of the world lives in the other hemisphere, and have no interest in Spanish at all, and probably go their entire lives without ever hearing a Spanish speaker or seeing a Spanish language text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.