Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Exactly ! I think most people do not know that. I was talking to some Americans years ago and they were all insisting that the European Latins are not Latins because the Latins are the ones from Latin America. They didn't have any clue how South and Central America became Latin at all.
I think people know from the languages they speak being called "Spanish" and "Portugese" that they were colonized by Europeans, everyone knows this. They are just unused to calling Europeans Latin anything. They call them Spanish or Portugese, or Italian or whatever. They call the languages in English "Romance" languages. It's just very unusual to call a European a Latin in English so they don't think about it, even though they are most likely well aware of European colonization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 02:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,238 times
Quote:
Exactly ! I think most people do not know that. I was talking to some Americans years ago and they were all insisting that the European Latins are not Latins because the Latins are the ones from Latin America. They didn't have any clue how South and Central America became Latin at all.
Yes, I know. When I discovered this "American use" of the term "latin" a few years ago discussing in internent, I was almost shocked. I couldn't believe that some people might think that "latin culure" was not originary from Europe, but exclusively in latin-America. I was surprised to realize that in the US, they apply the word "latin" as a synonym of "latin-American", and as such they consider everthing form latin-America to be "latin"... which sounds to us Europeans very odd. Corn tortillas (indigenous food) becomes "latin food"; indigenous looking people become "latin race", caribean rythms (from Africa) becomes "latin music"... Applyed that way the word "latin" lost its whole original meaning

I think we canno't do much against this misuse; excepted explaining again what "latin" means, to what culture it originally came from, etc. Explaining that not everything in latin-America is of "latin" origin, the same way everything in the US is not of "Germanic" origin.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:58 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Yes, I know. When I discovered this "American use" of the term "latin" a few years ago discussing in internent, I was almost shocked. I couldn't believe that some people might think that "latin culure" was not originary from Europe, but exclusively in latin-America. I was surprised to realize that in the US, they apply the word "latin" as a synonym of "latin-American", and as such they consider everthing form latin-America to be "latin"... which sounds to us Europeans very odd. Corn tortillas (indigenous food) becomes "latin food"; indigenous looking people become "latin race", caribean rythms (from Africa) becomes "latin music"... Applyed that way the word "latin" lost its whole original meaning

I think we canno't do much against this misuse; excepted explaining again what "latin" means, to what culture it originally came from, etc. Explaining that not everything in latin-America is of "latin" origin, the same way everything in the US is not of "Germanic" origin.
No, it's actually the opposite. In the US, people use Latino to group Spanish people with Latin Americans. It was in Spain that I discovered that Latino and Spanish are considered two different groups.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:53 AM

442 posts, read 800,419 times
Accent-wise, definitely Mexico.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:14 AM

370 posts, read 950,821 times
Quote:
Where did Latins from South America came from ????
How did they become Latin ?

Never heard about Caesar's fleet?

Caesar sent 500 triremes to conquer America, they landed in Machu Pichu. They forced natives to speak Latin and eat Garum.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
No, it's actually the opposite. In the US, people use Latino to group Spanish people with Latin Americans. It was in Spain that I discovered that Latino and Spanish are considered two different groups.

Well, many Spanish take advantage of the Latino gibberish. Now, Spanish musicians and actors are included in the Latino awards, etc. Here, most people don'y give a crock about American eccentricities.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:18 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think people know from the languages they speak being called "Spanish" and "Portugese" that they were colonized by Europeans, everyone knows this. They are just unused to calling Europeans Latin anything. They call them Spanish or Portugese, or Italian or whatever. They call the languages in English "Romance" languages. It's just very unusual to call a European a Latin in English so they don't think about it, even though they are most likely well aware of European colonization.
Yes indeed, but that's the product of ignorance and faulty thinking, and ignorance and faulty thinking must be combatted.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post

The Latin American stuff was a French invention, I believe it was De Gaulle or maybe older. The goal was to assert France in Spanish American culture as a Latin country, and remove Spain from the equation.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:22 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
The Latin American stuff was a French invention, I believe it was De Gaulle or maybe older. The goal was to assert France in Spanish American culture as a Latin country, and remove Spain from the equation.
Emperor Maximilian, actually. It was all part of a "Come on, you're gonna love me; we're all Latin after all" strategy. It was then adopted by Americans with the meaning "Those funny foreigners South of Texas who don't speak English like God intended".

Old 04-26-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Emperor Maximilian, actually. It was all part of a "Come on, you're gonna love me; we're all Latin after all" strategy. It was then adopted by Americans with the meaning "Those funny foreigners South of Texas who don't speak English like God intended".

Not really, Americans called Latin to anybody that was a Catholic and spoke a Romance language. The Latin referred to Latin America came later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World