Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 02:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why is it almost always West Coast and New England Americans that do Canadian "identity theft" when abroad? There is absolutely no reason for that. If they really feel the need to do that, then they're in the wrong country or they are insecure about their nationality. I can understand when it comes to not being ripped off, but because of a political election? People everywhere in the world need to grow up and get an education.
Exactly, and why travel to a destination that you think someone will harm you because of your nationality?
Like I said, I find it rather sad. I've met many Americans while travelling and some did mention that they got flack for being American in some places, but instead of pretending to be Canadian, they took it on as a chance to change a person mind on what an American was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTravelingYogi View Post
Should Americans pretend to be Canadian while traveling abroad?

Why are Americans Disguising themselves as Canadians?

American abroad? Try traveling Canadian - US news - Weird news | NBC News

If you do a quick internet search you will see tons of info on this subject. It is a VERY common practice. And the first two articles, while one was against the idea, said she would have done it if she was traveling during the 2004 elections.

Believe me you would NOT be saying you were from Texas when Bush was in office.

But that is just one example. Oh I thought of a less important reason. When in the market not saying you are American just so they don't take you for a millionaire and charge way too much. I have often said I was French because I was fascinated by France and know their history inside and out. I know the language and I know more about France then Canada. Well I have lived in France a few times so it makes sense i would know more.

My sister and I transited through Saudi Arabia but we couldn't leave the airport. I would have said I was Canadian if someone in the Riyadh airport would have asked.

I haven't done it often but there are some places and some circumstances where you DO NOT want to be American.
I didn't say people don't do it - I said I don't do it, and won't do it (unless there is some sort of actual threat to my personal safety).

By the way, I travel internationally on a regular basis, including when Bush was in office. I simply don't try to hide where I'm from.

My husband was actually in Riyadh on 9/11 - and in Angola during some sort of uprising, and in Nigeria working on an oil platform during the time that pirates were actually boarding the platforms and kidnapping Americans. Now - I'm not saying that he would have walked around announcing, "Hey, guess what - I'm a US citizen from Texas," but even in those conditions, unless his actual safety was threatened, he never pretended to be from some other country - ESPECIALLY not out of some sense of embarrassment.

Frankly, I cannot relate to that sense of embarrassment. I am not ashamed to be a US citizen from Texas. Never will be.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Exactly, and why travel to a destination that you think someone will harm you because of your nationality?
Like I said, I find it rather sad. I've met many Americans while travelling and some did mention that they got flack for being American in some places, but instead of pretending to be Canadian, they took it on as a chance to change a person mind on what an American was.

Right ON.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Why is it almost always West Coast and New England Americans that do Canadian "identity theft" when abroad? There is absolutely no reason for that. If they really feel the need to do that, then they're in the wrong country or they are insecure about their nationality. I can understand when it comes to not being ripped off, but because of a political election? People everywhere in the world need to grow up and get an education.

You got that right. Good grief!

Old 04-07-2013, 02:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Default Official Adoption of the Terms “Hispanic†and “Latinoâ€

[quote=SophieLL;29018782] This is what im saying! Ignorance or intellectual laziness.

Some people seem to want to defend their ignorance and intellectual laziness even if it means personally insulting whoever contradicts them. Whatever. <snip> quote]

Yes, there is certainly a great deal of ignorance or intellectual laziness to go around and it really is about our educating ourselves on how this confusion (in the U.S. specifically) came about. And yes, personally insulting whoever, (including an entire citizenry), contradicts them is appalling and unacceptable behavior...and in my opinion, it is akin to beating a dead horse.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

After a number of years of lobbying by Mexican-American and Hispanic organizations, in 1976 the U.S. Congress passed Public Law 94-311. Called the “Joint resolution relating to the publication of economic and social statistics for Americans of Spanish origin or descent†and sponsored by Rep. Edward Roybal of California, the law mandated the collection of information about U.S. residents of Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Central American, South American and other Spanish-speaking country origins (Pub. L. No. 94-311, 1976).

The use of the terms “Hispanic†and “Latino†to describe Americans of Spanish origin or descent is unique to the U.S. and their meaning continue to change and evolve. Outside of the U.S., these terms are not widely used (National Research Council, 2006) and may also have different meanings.

When Labels Don

Old 04-07-2013, 02:59 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
The use of the terms “Hispanic” and “Latino” to describe Americans of Spanish origin or descent is unique to the U.S. and their meaning continue to change and evolve. Outside of the U.S., these terms are not widely used (National Research Council, 2006) and may also have different meanings.
Is that really to describe Americans of Spanish origin? I doubt most of the people called "hispanic" or "latino" in the US are of Spanish origin. And racially speaking I've observed it is more applyed to the people with specificly native or mixed native/European looks.

The problem with this use, is that is those words already exist in other languages and other parts of the world and are not at all used that way, but in the original ways: "hispanic" as a reference to Spanish things (from Spain!) things; while "latin/latino" refers to romance-speaking cultures, originary in southern western Europe.

So that created misunderstandings and wrong identifications to different people as we see here on this forum.

By the way, I'd like to have answers about this from Americans: Is pope francis considered non-while for being latin-American?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Is that really to describe Americans of Spanish origin? I doubt most of the people called "hispanic" or "latino" in the US are of Spanish origin. And racially speaking I've observed it is more applyed to the people with specificly native or mixed native/European looks.

The problem with this use, is that is those words already exist in other languages and other parts of the world and are not at all used that way, but in the original ways: "hispanic" as a reference to Spanish things (from Spain!) things; while "latin/latino" refers to romance-speaking cultures, originary in southern western Europe.

So that created misunderstandings and wrong identifications to different people as we see here on this forum.

By the way, I'd like to have answers about this from Americans: Is pope francis considered non-while for being latin-American?
What "color" the new pope is considered truly never even came to my mind as a question, or a determination. I was thrilled that he was from Latin America and that he seems like such a terrific person. I haven't heard any US citizens discussing whether or not he's "white." Sorry I'm not more help.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 906 times
Interesting discussion here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Sounds exhausting....

At the end of the first article the author states "Note: So no one gets too sensitive, I love Canada and this has nothing to do with Canada itself."

Huh? It has EVERYTHING to do with Canada. Using MY countries identity while travelling is identify theft. His statement sounds rather arrogant.
Registered so I can add my thoughts on this too. Sounds like you didn't actually read the article.
The disclosure is to add that I don't have issues with Canadians. If you want to pretend to be Canadian, that's fine. I don't care. Obviously nothing wrong with being Canadian. I do have issues with people lying regardless of where they are from though. So rather than focusing on why someone would choose to be Canadian, why are they lying about not being American?
And seriously, identity theft? Please.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtofBackpackign View Post
Interesting discussion here!

Registered so I can add my thoughts on this too. Sounds like you didn't actually read the article.
The disclosure is to add that I don't have issues with Canadians. If you want to pretend to be Canadian, that's fine. I don't care. Obviously nothing wrong with being Canadian. I do have issues with people lying regardless of where they are from though. So rather than focusing on why someone would choose to be Canadian, why are they lying about not being American?
And seriously, identity theft? Please.
Guilty, I quickly skimmed it. Point taken. My remark about identity theft, although not applicable to your article or you, is apt in cases where someone lies and pretends to be of another nationality. That person is using and stealing the attributes of whatever country they pretending to be from. Attributes that perhaps could be damaged by one who may not fully understand the country and nationality they are pretending to be. Identify theft is perfect description of their actions.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:07 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
Quote:
When I was in the UK and France in '96, I was honest about being an American. Only one person the entire time gave me a legitimately hard time, and a couple English guys I was talking with at the bar told him to shut up before I could try to have a rational discussion with him.

I think that most people who are Americans are fairly honest and up front about where they're from, and don't feel there's any reason to lie about it. Anyone who does, IMHO, needs to grow a backbone and learn to stand on their own individual virtues rather than assuming that pretending to be another nationality will make them more appealing to the people they meet abroad... besides, what if they find out that you're actually American and then have affirmation that Americans are tactless liars on top of whatever other things they may or may not have heard? Personal exceptionalism fail...

Last edited by 415_s2k; 04-07-2013 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World