Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 10:42 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

A lot of Chinese group all westerners into one group. English, Kiwi, Canadian or Dutch, it's all the same to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
oh, and, btw, kathryn, you thinking argentina is some obscure island in the pacific or whatever you think is not how the world see my country. Maybe in your unvierse in texas, but Argentina would be a millon times more known than sierra leona or equatorial guinea to ANY country, first and foremost cause Argentina has been a soccer superpower for the last 40 years, and all argentinian players are soccer superstars in european clubs and idols in the world (have you heard of Maradona and Messi?). Your lack of knowledge of Argentina, Brazil, or the southamerican countries might have to do with the fact that soccer is not popular there. But soccer is the number 1 sport in the world and people are obsessed with it all over the globe. That alone makes argentina much more well known that you could possibly imagine.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
oh, and, btw, kathryn, you thinking argentina is some obscure island in the pacific or whatever you think is not how the world see my country. Maybe in your unvierse in texas, but Argentina would be a millon times more known than sierra leona or equatorial guinea to ANY country, first and foremost cause Argentina has been a soccer superpower for the last 40 years, and all argentinian players are soccer superstars in european clubs and idols in the world (have you heard of Maradona and Messi?). Your lack of knowledge of Argentina, Brazil, or the southamerican countries might have to do with the fact that soccer is not popular there. But soccer is the number 1 sport in the world and people are obsessed with it all over the globe. That alone makes argentina much more well known that you could possibly imagine.
I don't think that Argentina is some obscure island in the pacific. But don't kid yourself - much of the world doesn't know much about Argentina outside of some steaks, some wine, some soccer players, and Madonna playing Eva Peron.

My what a great ambassador you are! Keep up the good work! Keep spreading that goodwill!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:01 PM

250 posts, read 661,909 times
The Hispanics and the Jews are alike in that they are mistaken as races. But they are, actually, cultural groups. Of course, Judaism has a set religion, while being Hispanic can mean assuming the nationality of a Spanish- speaking nation.

The Census does state that Hispanics can be of any race.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 PM

250 posts, read 661,909 times
I must say, however, that there is no "Mestizo" category, and people get lazy and assume every Hispanic is mestizo.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't think that Argentina is some obscure island in the pacific. But don't kid yourself - much of the world doesn't know much about Argentina outside of some steaks, some wine, some soccer players, and Madonna playing Eva Peron.

My what a great ambassador you are! Keep up the good work! Keep spreading that goodwill!
Thats much more than the world would know about Sierra Leona or equatorial guinea. Are u seriously comparing Argentina to those countries in terms of being known?
Buenos Aires has been an alpha city for years and is a top tourist destinations. Tango is a world known dance.I wont talk about soccer cause you probably wont understand it. Patagonia is a well known international tourist destinaton too.

Southamerica is not equally known as a tiny country in africa, maybe to you.

And, wow, im shocked at your arrogance for belonging to the more known country in the world. The same way i know and acknowledged USA is the more knwon country in the world, you cant deny that there are countries more known than others.

And, again ,YOU seem to be the one that knows NOTHING about this region of the world. This has not been my experience when i visit europe, and this is not how we are percieved. You being ignorant does not mean "much of the world" (as you say) is.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
The Hispanics and the Jews are alike in that they are mistaken as races. But they are, actually, cultural groups. Of course, Judaism has a set religion, while being Hispanic can mean assuming the nationality of a Spanish- speaking nation.

The Census does state that Hispanics can be of any race.
Absolutely.

Muslims are another group that falls into the same sort of category.

And I have a friend who will tell you very quickly, though also quite graciously, that he is NOT Arab - he is Persian! And Muslim.

These things can be confusing sometimes! I just wish that everyone was as gracious as my friend when people make honest mistakes - especially when they are trying genuinely to be friendly.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Thats much more than the world would know about Sierra Leona or equatorial guinea. Are u seriously comparing Argentina to those countries in terms of being known?
Buenos Aires has been an alpha city for years and is a top tourist destinations. Tango is a world known dance.I wont talk about soccer cause you probably wont understand it. Patagonia is a well known international tourist destinaton too.

Southamerica is not equally known as a tiny country in africa, maybe to you.

And, wow, im shocked at your arrogance for belonging to the more known country in the world. The same way i know and acknowledged USA is the more knwon country in the world, you cant deny that there are countries more known than others.

And, again ,YOU seem to be the one that knows NOTHING about this region of the world. This has not been my experience when i visit europe, and this is not how we are percieved. You being ignorant does not mean "much of the world" (as you say) is.
You know what - I rather naively assumed that when you asked "Why do Americans don't know what hispanic means?" that you actually were interested in knowing WHY.

Now I see that all you really wanted to do was rant and hurl insults at people from the US.

My bad.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know what - I rather naively assumed that when you asked "Why do Americans don't know what hispanic means?" that you actually were interested in knowing WHY.

Now I see that all you really wanted to do was rant and hurl insults at people from the US.

My bad.
No, i didnt.

You were the one that kept bringing my country insignificance in every post of yours when i wasnt even talking about my country (and i clarified that), but a region, and you were all "well, argentina has not contribute anything to the world, is as known as a small pacific island, most of the world does not know where it is"? to try to insult me in your way or showed my country supposed insignificane, as if this thread was about that.

You know what, Kathryn? You are actually the one that is insulting, and being unbelievably arrogant. You mask yourself as a nice lady but you are actually very arrogant and have a sense of superiority to anyone around you.

How can you talk like that about my country? who do you think you are to say that? You insult my country and then expect me not to react? im the number 1 critic of my country (actually, most argentinians are), but i know where we stand in the world, and how unknown we are. So if you say nonsense and try to give my country a sense of unknowness that it doesnt have, and then react all arrogant when i try to defend it, then i dont know what to say to you.

Keep being a holier than thou arrogant while trying to pass for a nice lady. Most people will realize it sooner than later.

And, yeah, im still interested in knowing "why": what makes you feel you answered that? All you said was lies and nonsense about my country and then justify the ignorance of the region you live in.

Keep living in your own ignorantland, what can i say to you? I thought you were different. You got me fooled for a while there but you just showed your true colours.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
No, i didnt.

Quote:
You were the one that kept bringing my country insignificance in every post of yours when i wasnt even talking about my country (and i clarified that), but a region, and you were all "well, argentina has not contribute anything to the world, is as known as a small pacific island, most of the world does not know where it is"? to try to insult me in your way or showed my country supposed insignificane, as if this thread was about that.
Are you losing your ability to read and comprehend? My gosh, I NEVER said that Argentina was insignificant, and I certainly never said that it is a PACIFIC ISLAND. I never said most of the world doesn't know where it is either.

Quote:
How can you talk like that about my country? who do you think you are to say that? You insult my country and then expect me not to react?
LOL, well actually I didn't say ANY of that about your country. No wonder you walk around with such a chip on your shoulder all the time - you're imagining that people are saying things that they simply AREN'T saying! Now I understand!

Quote:
And, yeah, im still interested in knowing "why": what makes you feel you answered that? All you said was lies and nonsense about my country and then justify the ignorance of the region you live in.
Well, no, that's not "all I said." In fact, NOTHING you just listed is ANYTHING I said. But apparently you were so blinded by, I don't know, delusional thinking or a bit too much wine or something, that you missed my (formerly) patient explanation in my first few posts.

Quote:
Keep living in your own ignorantland, what can i say to you? I thought you were different. You got me fooled for a while there but you just showed your true colours.
Now THAT is an ironic statement if I ever saw one.

I'm uninterested in continuing this conversation, just so you know. Have a nice life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World