Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Just tossed the idea into the air. Macho walking even in Latin America is a sign of male insecurity. I was probably stereotyping regarding Americans. The dignified walk is one with the back straight..a casual gate but not to casual...and portraying subtle confidence. It's about how truly secure you are as a person that dictates your walk. If you have ever seen a small woman or man walk - they like to swing their arms out and take wide strides as if to create the illusion that they are taking up more physical space..that they are bigger than they are...It might be a natural thing.

Now the black ghetto walk is something else...It's a "I don't give a damn" gate...Then there is the gay walk that from a distance can give the impression of an approaching female...I guess that could be natural also seeing that they want the protection and privilege that females enjoy...It's all about predators - a blow fish will increase it's size by bloating up to fool predators...Humans do this also...The best walk takes a bit of skill...not to much of this and not to much of that. In some neighborhoods you have to do the "I did time in prison walk" even if you didn't....eyes forward and a quiet confidence.
I don't even think about how I walk, but I guess sub-consciously my walk reveals things about my inner character/mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 AM

27 posts, read 42,944 times
The ones who do walk with a swagger it's nothing but false bravado..they are the ones who tend to believe all the media hype from movies and videos.

They are slaves to marketing and don't even know it and they think they are being original..LOL

Being confident is something totally different and nothing like the clowns who try so hard to have swagger which is at the bottom of the pole.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
This thread is entertaining!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
You've seriously never heard the word swagger before? That's surprising to me, it's a very common English verb meaning to walk or strut with an arrogant, defiant or insolent air.
To walk with an air of conspicuous self-satisfaction, usually of masculine vanity. To behave in a blustering self-satisfied manner. To boast or to brag....showy or stylish. Bravado....To be a Swag....and then there is the "Swagger stick" It was a metal tipped cane carried by military to denote elegance and authority..Sounds kind of like a description for the classic American black pimp out of the 70s....This is rather odd that the British elite walked with a swagger and now some blacks have adopted a version of this strut.

Whites from what I have seen have forgotten the swagger. Of course there swagger is more fluid and has the cadence of a dance. Speaking of bravado or male vanity. Recently a street character that I knew was charged with threatening. He blurted out a threat against his wife's new husband. I attended court with him and quietly represented him. Language is powerful . I gave his a new word - "Bravado" I instructed him to tall the prosecutor that he did not threaten anyone - that he was simply full of Bravado...that word got the charges dropped...Then with great satisfaction I swaggered out of the court house...a polite toned down swagger.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
Quote:
Wow - talk about the death of the English language. It's not even an "English" term it is a common word that perhaps fell out of use only 30 years ago.
Since it was first coined by Mr. William Shakespeare, methinks it IS an English term!

Quote:
...Pirates strut.
No, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Pirates most definately swagger, since their ships are full of swag! Except for Capt. Jack Sparrow. God know what you'd call HIS loopy walk!

Old 04-12-2013, 06:46 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Since it was first coined by Mr. William Shakespeare, methinks it IS an English term!

No, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Pirates most definately swagger, since their ships are full of swag! Except for Capt. Jack Sparrow. God know what you'd call HIS loopy walk!
Thanks for the morning laugh. The first time I heard the word swagger I was 17 and my girlfriend commented on my swagger. It was not a conscious walk it just happened. Probably because growing up in the sticks we as kids had absolutely no restrictions or supervision. We ran wild. The freedom contained in early life may have generated a type of confidence that manifested into a SWAGGER...YES and Obama is a SWAG...When he drapes his jacket over his shoulder and walks- he swaggers. I guess when you control the worlds most powerful nuclear arsenal you can strut your stuff? NOW- someone like old Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones ...can swagger without even moving...He is a total swag.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:42 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Thats bull**** americans come to the causeway in flocks every single year and the only way you will know that they are american is that they have the accent. And this nonsense about the dress code of shorts etc. Well I would say thats nonsense also because the americans that I have seen visiting Northern Ireland have not dressed like that, in-fact they have dressed smartly with dresses etc. Just like us.
actually its not...and I was reffering to the european continent not Northern Ireland..neophyte

Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
So they dont all walk like John Wayne then..
How about those Dolphins? - YouTube

(nsfw)

Old 04-12-2013, 12:07 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I'd say from living in the USA all these years. That many wouldn't walk 1 block unless they absolutely had to. That doesn't mean the entire US population, but sadly the percentage is extremely high. So much so that it can seem like everyone here will not walk. Its drive and then drive some more type of mindset. Every day I am in awe at the amount of obese people in this country. It is very alarming to me and the amount of sweets people eat here is a disgrace. So I'm not sure how someone can identify the American by their walk. If so more power to them. They must have excellent instincts.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'd say from living in the USA all these years. That many wouldn't walk 1 block unless they absolutely had to. That doesn't mean the entire US population, but sadly the percentage is extremely high. So much so that it can seem like everyone here will not walk. Its drive and then drive some more type of mindset. Every day I am in awe at the amount of obese people in this country. It is very alarming to me and the amount of sweets people eat here is a disgrace. So I'm not sure how someone can identify the American by their walk. If so more power to them. They must have excellent instincts.
I walked alot today, going from parking garage to work, walked to lunch, went to the mall did alot of walking in the mall. There was also alot of people i saw walking around today.

But who knows maybe in Arizona/Massachusetts everyone has segways and wheel chairs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World