Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:48 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times

Advertisements

Here it seems to be the same as the other lists, in general. I was told that being a nurse in Germany is seen as lame and low-paid, but here I think we are practically begging people to do medical anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:58 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Here it seems to be the same as the other lists, in general. I was told that being a nurse in Germany is seen as lame and low-paid, but here I think we are practically begging people to do medical anything.

Those are the jobs with the most prestige in Germany.

From top to bottom:

Doctors
Nurses
Teachers
Craftsmen
Engineers
University Professors
Lawyers
Priests
Entrepreneurs
Policemen
Diplomats
Journalists
Professional sportsmen
Military Officers
Politicians
Bankers
TV presenters

Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Best-paying jobs in the UK, 2012:

1. Chief executives and senior officials
  2. Aircraft pilots and flight engineers
  3. Medical practitioners
  4. Marketing and sales directors
  5. Information technology and telecommunications directors
  6. Company lawyers
  7. Transport associate professionals
  8. Senior police officers
  9. Financial managers and directors
  10. Senior officers in protective services

Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 AM

302 posts, read 868,709 times
In NYC the starting salary for a garbage man is better than the salary for a graduate of a third tier law school plus they get benefits and aren't $150,000 in debt. So which job is better?????

Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
The best? CEO of a publically traded corporation. No other job will pay you millions to run a business into the ground, and thats if you even choose to show up.

The worst? Anything else.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:43 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville239 View Post
In NYC the starting salary for a garbage man is better than the salary for a graduate of a third tier law school plus they get benefits and aren't $150,000 in debt. So which job is better?????
Yes but the lawyer will be practicing well into his 60's and $150,000 will be peanuts. Whereas the poor garbage worker may have health problems and working life cut short.Construction jobs in Australia are well paid but limited physically as one ages.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 657 times
I am a binman and shopsteward and my wage is no were near the figure mention in fact its only top line 17,500 that's with an a typical matrix of 130 a mouth. So please get the facts straight

Old 09-05-2014, 04:28 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
Good:

Lawyer
Doctor
Receptionist/clerk/manager
Teacher
Fireman
Policeman
Piloting
Flight attendant

Bad:

McDonald's or any other fastfood chains
Retail
Factory worker (if you can't find a job, they'd shove factory jobs to you)
Janitor
Tradesman
Bricklayer

Old 09-05-2014, 08:52 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I am going to explain myself:

My question is about jobs all around the world, some jobs are very well considered, and some jobs much less unfortunately, we can see that in the incomes for example, but not always... some jobs are not socially "welcome" but they have good incomes.

My question is: what jobs are considered to have good reputation and prestigious in you country?
Which ones are not? the ones that almost nobody want to do, or the ones that are supposed to be for "less intelligent people" (mostly by prejuices)

For example in Spain:

Socially...

Good considered: Lawers, doctors, ingenieers, notary, aviation commander, flight attendant, etc. There people also have usually good salaries.

Bad considered:

-Hairdressers (hard and difficult job but really underpaid unfortunately)
-Street Sweepers, nobody are suppose to wish this job but not bad salary at all.
-Primary Teachers (or kindergarten): everyone says this job is easy and for people who can't study something "better" but the reality is the salary is quite good and not easy to study and to be a good one.
-Artist and musicians: This is not a good country for them, lack of opportunities.
-Supermarket worker.

Any other come to my mind now. I have always defended freedom about choosing a job, I hate when someone thinks this person is better or deserves more respect because he/sheworks as a X and this person deserves less because he/she is whatever.

Going to university here is very overrated as well.

Another question: who has the best and the worst salaries where you live?
The lowest-status jobs out there are generally those that require no or little advanced training, are usually part-time, and pay poorly. Such occupations include fast-food employees, car wash employees, personal care technicians, general laborers, etc. It is not looked down on, though, to have these kinds of jobs when a teenager or to work through university. It's almost uniquely North American to come from a middle-class family and drive in your own car after the high school day is done to work part-time flipping burgers for spending money.

The highest-status jobs are lawyers and doctors. The highest-status single occupation, I would say, is neurosurgeon, especially those doctors who primarily operate on the brain.

Neurosurgeons make in the ballpark of $500k / year after having at least 15 years of post-secondary training. Those who have a private practice tend to make more, up to $1mm+ / year while academic neurosurgeons are comparatively poor at $300k - $400k / year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World