Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
At age of 23; how many countries have you been to?

I only been to 6 countries so far and feel depressed!! I wish my family traveled much more when I was younger
I just turned 24 and have been to 24 countries (I'm not purposely following my age ). You're lucky to have been to 6. I know many people who haven't been to more than two or three in the United States. If you're from Europe, I can see 5-10 countries being reasonable at your age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,488,144 times
So people now actually count the countries they have been now? lol
I don't remember. This isn't a contest.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 AM

328 posts, read 997,522 times
It's not how many countries you have visited that is important but the quality of time you spend in the ones you do visit and the memories you had there.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 PM

67 posts, read 93,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
No, they can't There's more to travel than just airplane tickets. What about accommodation, food, trips, etc.?
They could stay in youth hostels and eat inexpensive food. If there's a will, there's a way. Even for people from modest backgrounds. They have only themselves to blame if they are unable to travel in this day and age.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:58 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
What about those at age 23 who have never been to a foreign country because their parents could not afford such luxuries?

Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,346,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthelightsoff View Post
They could stay in youth hostels and eat inexpensive food. If there's a will, there's a way. Even for people from modest backgrounds. They have only themselves to blame if they are unable to travel in this day and age.
Food for thought:

Let's assume you are from Vienna and want to visit Bratislava. Not that far away. Let's say you want to go there over the weekend (2 nights).

Train Vienna - Bratislava: ~20€
2 nights in a hostel: ~50€
Train Bratislava - Vienna: ~20€

Partying, museums, food... "fun stuff": ~75€

That's €165 for a weekend in a city that's only a mere 55km away. Quite a lot for a broke college student.

Sure, you could ride a bike to Bratislava, crash at a hostel room with 16 other people for 8€ and eat müsli bars you bought back home in Vienna, but that's not what "the Europeans" do.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Food for thought:

Let's assume you are from Vienna and want to visit Bratislava. Not that far away. Let's say you want to go there over the weekend (2 nights).

Train Vienna - Bratislava: ~20€
2 nights in a hostel: ~50€
Train Bratislava - Vienna: ~20€

Partying, museums, food... "fun stuff": ~75€

That's €165 for a weekend in a city that's only a mere 55km away. Quite a lot for a broke college student.
If they really wanted to travel, they could budget accordingly, assuming they actually work while in college and aren't lazy pricks like much of today's youth.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:13 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,825 times
Don't feel too badly. I never got out of Australia until I was 30. I've made up for it since though.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:21 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,244,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthelightsoff View Post
No, some people just don't have any money left to save for the holidays. They can barely make ends meet as it is. And why would they stay in a crappy youth hostel, eat crappy food, and presumably stay indoors all day because they can't afford to go on trips, just to be able to say they've been abroad so people like you won't think they're pathetic?

Like I said, I've only had one "exotic" vacation with my family but I don't feel like I've missed out on anything at all. I have great memories to the holidays in my own country. We were able to go on a lot of fun trips because we didn't spend hundreds of euros on transportation alone. I would hate to go on vacation somewhere and be on a really tight budget. Money is the last thing I want to worry about when I'm on vacation.

I swear, some people on C-D truly live in a bubble. Reminds me of that person who said people who earn $250,000 a year are not rich. How blissfully ignorant you must be to believe that anyone in Europe could go on holiday to faraway places if they want. You do know that there are countries in Europe where people make as little as $3500 a year, right?

Old 07-08-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
No, some people just don't have any money left to save for the holidays. They can barely make ends meet as it is. And why would they stay in a crappy youth hostel, eat crappy food, and presumably stay indoors all day because they can't afford to go on trips, just to be able to say they've been abroad so people like you won't think they're pathetic?

Like I said, I've only had one "exotic" vacation with my family but I don't feel like I've missed out on anything at all. I have great memories to the holidays in my own country. We were able to go on a lot of fun trips because we didn't spend hundreds of euros on transportation alone. I would hate to go on vacation somewhere and be on a really tight budget. Money is the last thing I want to worry about when I'm on vacation.

I swear, some people on C-D truly live in a bubble. Reminds me of that person who said people who earn $250,000 a year are not rich. How blissfully ignorant you must be to believe that anyone in Europe could go on holiday to faraway places if they want.
I know people from humble, working-class backgrounds who put aside money for backpacking trips across Europe. Did they fly first-class and stay in the most glamorous hotels? No. They flew on budget airlines and stayed in what you call "crappy" youth hostels. But they didn't let that take away from their experiences, which is really what travel is all about. With your attitude, you might as well stay home because you don't sound like the kind of person who would enjoy a getaway unless you were pampered the entire time.

You live in the Netherlands. From there, it's a short trip to many different countries: Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, France, the UK, and others. There are airlines, buses, and trains that go to those countries (and others around Europe) for very little cost. Like I said, if there's a will there's a way. I'm not even talking about flying overseas, which IS expensive. These are shorter trips that, in the United States, would be like going from New York to Chicago. Not unfeasible for anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World