Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Downtown in the World
Vancouver 6 2.26%
Toronto 14 5.26%
NYC 71 26.69%
Philidelphia 4 1.50%
Chicago 27 10.15%
Paris 10 3.76%
London 58 21.80%
Amsterdam 8 3.01%
Prague 4 1.50%
Rome 1 0.38%
Stockholm 3 1.13%
Oslo 0 0%
Sydney 15 5.64%
Melbourne 2 0.75%
Seoul 2 0.75%
Tokyo 9 3.38%
Hong Kong 13 4.89%
Shanghai 0 0%
Mexico city 5 1.88%
Sao Paul 2 0.75%
Lima 1 0.38%
Carcass 2 0.75%
LA 5 1.88%
Seattle 3 1.13%
Portland 1 0.38%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 05:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
If you cross Van Ness ave. in San Francisco, you are then in the Western Addition. If you have entered another part of town, then you're no longer in the one that you came from. THAT'S the only thing that should be obvious LOL wow!
My origional question was: how would you know you're not in the main headquarters of the city has ended? Your answer seems to based on just neighborhood names rather than what's in where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 06:00 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Sounds like you spent a lot of time in East Village. That's where a lot of those new condos are, especially on Market Street. One thing is that downtown SD now has grocery stores you can walk to, there are at least two that I know of off the top of my head.
East Village right--my wife and I ate in a good little French restaurant there. Seemed to be a nice enough area that seemed to be being developed pretty quickly. There were other areas just outside downtown that seemed okay, but looked like they could use some more amenities(Banker's Hill, Golden Hill). Seems like there's a lot of newer infill in parts of downtown--some other parts seem to have a lot of parking lots and are sparse. I like San Diego, though the parts I like seem sort of disconnected from each other--it's more of a driving town.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My origional question was: how would you know you're not in the main headquarters of the city has ended? Your answer seems to based on just neighborhood names rather than what's in where you are.
And I've already answered that question. You just don't want to admit, or are for whatever reason, lacking the capacity to understand that there are boundaries. I know they are neighborhood names. See most cities have this bad habit of building neighborhoods outside of their downtowns. If you think it's just me:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Do...c65f51348e1d43
^^^SEE THIS MAP?^^^

It's of downtown Seattle and behold, they superimposed boundaries for the downtown area. Now just in case it doesn't display properly:

North boundary: Denny Way
Northeast boundary: part of I 5 and east Pike st.
South boundary: south Dearborn st.
southwest boundary: 4th avenue south and part of the road to access Safeco field.
Western Boundary: Elliot Bay which is part of Puget Sound

the only one who seems confused beyond all logic is you so if you still don't get it, then I'll leave you to your thoughts because again, I am not qualified to help you understand reality.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:20 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
East Village right--my wife and I ate in a good little French restaurant there. Seemed to be a nice enough area that seemed to be being developed pretty quickly. There were other areas just outside downtown that seemed okay, but looked like they could use some more amenities(Banker's Hill, Golden Hill). Seems like there's a lot of newer infill in parts of downtown--some other parts seem to have a lot of parking lots and are sparse. I like San Diego, though the parts I like seem sort of disconnected from each other--it's more of a driving town.
Yes East Village is growing rapidly. The city does have a disconnected feel and that's because it's built on a series of low mesas with canyons in between. Definitely more of a driving city but this is slowly starting to change.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:23 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I don't find your statement provocative at all. La Défense is a really sterile place imo. At least, in a city like Houston, even if streelife seems to be severely lacking, motor and pedestrian traffic aren't segregated and skyscrapers directly face the street. It's a much more urban configuration to me. I like skyscrapers and find La Défense skyline neat to look at from faraway, but I wouldn't venture there unless necessary. I would gladly see midrise or even skyscraper clusters rise in busy city center districts like Montparnasse or St Lazare. The former wouldn't be as difficult, there's already the infamous Montparnasse tower and it desperately lacks company. In London, I made a point to visit Canary wharf and the City on my second trip, but what makes me want to come back there is the West End. That being said, the City is a genuinely urban district, albeit a bit dead outside working hours.

I find the Part Dieu district in Lyon to be a slightly more urban, small-scale version of La Défense:
https://www.google.fr/maps/@45.76364...9BPlbTWsHg!2e0
https://www.google.fr/maps/@45.76204...G6MGVKFBPQ!2e0

There's the inescapable concrete slab, but a lot of the office buildings face the street and it's in the city center in a busy area right next to the central station.
Part-Dieu is a really good example. It almost looks Montreal-ish with its mix of traditional and modern.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
What about Boston's City Hall? With the large brick plaza, which tends to get mainly used for public rallies.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bosto...3.86,,0,-19.48

Compared to the old City Hall:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.35...2.21,,0,-22.88

Old 01-21-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
It only goes to show how challenging it is (even in Europe) to design and construct modern buildings that have even a little bit of charm.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:01 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,474 times
Le Défense is not dead outside business hours, the problem is that the activity is either underground in the big transit hub or in shopping malls all linked underground. Malls there are even open on sunday
When it is sunny, a lot of familly go in the main plaza.

In Central Paris, there are also some areas dead outside business hours (9 am to 8 pm, Parisian office workers work late) like most of the 8th arrondissement outside the Champs Elysées.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes, here in BC the signs directing people say " City Centre " but when speaking people will say downtown. One metro stop in Vancouver is called " Vancouver Centre ".
Ontario uses both, interestingly enough.

For older more established cities like Toronto and Ottawa, it uses downtown. I believe it also uses downtown for smaller cities like Cornwall, Brockville, Kingston, etc. and a bunch of others.

For newer more sprawling cities that have less of defined centre (Mississauga, Vaughan, Markham, Pickering, Ajax, etc.) I believe Ontario uses "City Centre" or even "Town Centre" in some cases.

Quebec of course uses "Centre-Ville" on all signs for city centres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World