Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
New York 17 47.22%
London 8 22.22%
Paris 11 30.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,842,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
The fact that this place has some of the greatest disparity of wealth in the western world doesn't bother you?

Diminishing middle class.
Worsening homelessness.
Increasing number of undesirables.
Frequency of shootings and violent attacks on the rise.
Worsening litter/pet discipline and public impropriety (people just peeing on the sidewalks in broad daylight with their johnson in full view of passing traffic).
Worsening culture of corporatist fascism.
Little regard for private property - graffiti scrawled over newly built condos.

This is truly the center of civilization? I guess we're all doomed then.
The US notwithstanding, NY has improved greatly since the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:01 AM

27,677 posts, read 28,786,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
People probably consider NY to be unique just because it's NY. There's really very little substance behind these claims, and whenever people try to explain why they think NY is unique, they end up rambling and sound horribly incoherent - "New York is unique, just, because, I don't know, there's something about it. It's like a universe in its own right, ya know?"
I think the scale of ethnic and national diversity that exists in New York City is probably unique in the world.

Can't think of many cities that have it to that extent, although a number of other cities are catching up.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:08 AM

520 posts, read 1,517,595 times
All of the three are very popular destinations, however, London seems to be more popular among younger Germans than NYC or Paris. At least, that is my impression. Depends on the individual, though. London seems to have become a "cesspool" in the eyes of many Britons and a mirror for the things that are wrong in British society, however, for foreigners it still has that urban and cosmopolitan vibe that nobody can resist who is a "city person".

Old 11-25-2013, 10:34 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,639,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
All of the three are very popular destinations, however, London seems to be more popular among younger Germans than NYC or Paris. At least, that is my impression. Depends on the individual, though. London seems to have become a "cesspool" in the eyes of many Britons and a mirror for the things that are wrong in British society, however, for foreigners it still has that urban and cosmopolitan vibe that nobody can resist who is a "city person".
This is true, even the Guardianistas don't like London anymore. London has always been the butt of jokes for the rest of Britain though.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
This is true, even the Guardianistas don't like London anymore. London has always been the butt of jokes for the rest of Britain though.
Really? What are some of the jokes about London you hear.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:18 AM

Well, not so much jokes, more disparaging comments, but usually meant in a light-hearted manner, such as 'London is filthy' or 'Londoners are rude' or 'Londoners are pretentious' or 'London isn't British anymore'. I've also seen 'Londonistan' before, lol.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:22 AM

27,677 posts, read 28,786,696 times
That happens with probably every big city. New York City is the butt of jokes in the U.S. too.

And along similar lines - New Yorkers are rude, confrontational, have terrible customer service, lack manners, it's a cesspool filled with crime and filth ... and other nonsense. lol.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Well, not so much jokes, more disparaging comments, but usually meant in a light-hearted manner, such as 'London is filthy' or 'Londoners are rude' or 'Londoners are pretentious' or 'London isn't British anymore'. I've also seen 'Londonistan' before, lol.
Birmingham is probably the brunt of most jokes. And I haven't seen anywhere that Indian in the West before! At least the part of it we drove through.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:35 AM

657 posts, read 804,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
The fact that this place has some of the greatest disparity of wealth in the western world doesn't bother you?

Diminishing middle class.
Worsening homelessness.
Increasing number of undesirables.
Frequency of shootings and violent attacks on the rise.
Worsening litter/pet discipline and public impropriety (people just peeing on the sidewalks in broad daylight with their johnson in full view of passing traffic).
Worsening culture of corporatist fascism.
Little regard for private property - graffiti scrawled over newly built condos.

This is truly the center of civilization? I guess we're all doomed then.
I always thought that the crime rate in NYC has been going down, or has that changed now?

Old 11-25-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Birmingham is probably the brunt of most jokes. And I haven't seen anywhere that Indian in the West before! At least the part of it we drove through.
Yeah, it's very Indian, but cities like Birmingham often have one large ethnic group as opposed to London's numerous ethnic groups. That's the case with Bradford which is basically around 60% 'White British' and 35% South Asian (Indian/Pakistani). Manchester is probably more diverse and has over 200 languages spoken - perhaps the highest per capita of any European city.

Birmingham gets a lot of jokes too, particularly about the accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World