Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
New York 17 47.22%
London 8 22.22%
Paris 11 30.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:17 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,402,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That reflects your lack of geographical knowledge. All these places are household names, you don't have to be a geography expert to know them.

Ever heard of the term 'Valley girl'? The whole teenage suburban mall culture thing sort of began in the San Fernando valley.

I'm sure you know West Hollywood - WeHo, the Sunset Strip on Sunset Boulevard, Melrose Ave. Extremely important for the music scene/industry in the 60s for instance. SF had the hype, but LA was already the centre for the music biz in the 60s.

Venice Beach - doesn't ring a bell?

Malibu? You really don't know Malibu? The beach, surfing, homes, the hills.

Burbank is where many of the big movie studios are.

Pasadena also very well known.

You weren't aware of South Central? It's reputation for gang violence.etc? I guess you probably never listened to NWA or saw Boyz in the Hood. Countless gangster wannabes around the world talk about South Central.

All these places are extremely famous.

NY's uniqueness is more than the skyscrapers and neon billboards...as Billy Joel put it it's the 'New York State of Mind.' I know it's a sort of wishy washy concept, so I admit yes, it's subjective, yet I'm not the only one to have noticed it.
The only place in LA most of the world knows is Hollywood and thats it I'm afraid.

I've heard of Bondi beach, Sunshine coast, Great barrier reef and the gold coast though great places.

Quote:
When I go to NY I somehow feel that this is still the centre of human civilisation, it's still the most globalised, urban way we live. Nowhere else encapsulates that better than NYC.
I can understand this but many cities are like that.

Quote:
Birmingham is probably the brunt of most jokes. And I haven't seen anywhere that Indian in the West before! At least the part of it we drove through.
London is similar in places especially Tower Hamlets, Southall and Hounslow. Most large English cities have large Asian population including Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 01:42 PM

242 posts, read 369,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
How can you call NYC, LA and Rome unique and not Edinburgh, San Francisco, Athens, and London? I don't get how LA is unique its just another american city that happens to be the centre of film and entertainment. It seems your views are warped somewhat even though your entitled to your opinion.

Weird how you say "other uniqueness". Rome, Athens, Venice, Rio and Paris are not on the same "unique scale" as NYC those cities would be most unique.
Yep having celebrities wherever you go, you see them at the Grocery store, at the mall, you see tons of nice cars, the city feels like its only Asian and Hispanic, you drive past a movie set store everyday, everyone does marijuana yet eats healthy, you stopped noticing Angeline Joliet at the mall with her million kids yep that's nothing unique being in the center of film, celebs, music and movies. Most American cities do not have palm trees or have that great of weather...Its time for you to go and visit some American cities and stop basing them on the media.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain Mcfly View Post
Dunno what it is you're seeing, but NY looks pretty much like any other american downtown to me. Just bigger and louder.

Try answering the "which city is NY?" Quiz in this video

Things that suck about New York - YouTube
Its funny the guy talks about subways, my girlfriend is from NYC and I asked her one day "how do you know when the subways come, where they go and where to get off" she said that you just memorize them, you just know oh at 6:00 I need t take the Blue Line to 54th instead of 35th.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:47 PM

657 posts, read 804,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, it's very Indian, but cities like Birmingham often have one large ethnic group as opposed to London's numerous ethnic groups. That's the case with Bradford which is basically around 60% 'White British' and 35% South Asian (Indian/Pakistani). Manchester is probably more diverse and has over 200 languages spoken - perhaps the highest per capita of any European city.

Birmingham gets a lot of jokes too, particularly about the accent.
I think that Birmingham gets a bad rep in the UK. It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Based on nothing at all, though. You're just making statements that have been plucked from thin air.

So, is gang violence a positive for making a city appear unique? Lol.

Either way, they're not household names. South Central might be known by some people here but the term valley girl isn't. You're exaggerating how well-known these places are to the average person.
Haha if you got to LA and talk too them about gang violence they would think your nuts. You have no idea how fast crime has gone down in major US cities and the USA. In the 90s if you were in the wrong neighborhood wearing the wrong colors you would get killed, today its different. LA has turned around, south central is actually pretty safe today. People talk about Harlem NYC being dangerous little do they know crime has gone down fast, Bill Clintons office is there and when there's a Starbucks you know its not a dangerous place.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:52 PM

27,676 posts, read 28,776,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
Yep having celebrities wherever you go, you see them at the Grocery store, at the mall, you see tons of nice cars, the city feels like its only Asian and Hispanic, you drive past a movie set store everyday, everyone does marijuana yet eats healthy, you stopped noticing Angeline Joliet at the mall with her million kids yep that's nothing unique being in the center of film, celebs, music and movies.
But really, who cares about all that unless you like to kiss other people's asses?

By the way, I've been to LA a few times. I felt it was alright, but way overhyped for my taste. Just about anything you find in LA not Hollywood related, you can find in other U.S. cities and often better.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
The fact that this place has some of the greatest disparity of wealth in the western world doesn't bother you?

Diminishing middle class.
Worsening homelessness.
Increasing number of undesirables.
Frequency of shootings and violent attacks on the rise.
Worsening litter/pet discipline and public impropriety (people just peeing on the sidewalks in broad daylight with their johnson in full view of passing traffic).
Worsening culture of corporatist fascism.
Little regard for private property - graffiti scrawled over newly built condos.

This is truly the center of civilization? I guess we're all doomed then.
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong

Bro, do you even know what your talking about, I can pull tons of facts proving you wrong, but I rather not embarrass you that much, so tell us where do you live you cant live in NYC, France and the UK at the same time in fact I doubt you ever lived in NYC, saying stuff like that just made me think how people view other cities in the world, just tell us the truth.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But really, who cares about all that unless you like to kiss other people's asses?
Lol trust me I don't care not one bit, I would hate to live in LA traffic is crazy and everything costs money. But what made me mad was when he said LA wasn't unique besides Movies, Famous center of Television, actors, Venice Beach, Disneyland...you know none of that is unique.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:02 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,634,167 times
Quote:
Haha if you got to LA and talk too them about gang violence they would think your nuts. You have no idea how fast crime has gone down in major US cities and the USA. In the 90s if you were in the wrong neighborhood wearing the wrong colors you would get killed, today its different. LA has turned around, south central is actually pretty safe today. People talk about Harlem NYC being dangerous little do they know crime has gone down fast, Bill Clintons office is there and when there's a Starbucks you know its not a dangerous place.
No; you took my post the wrong way. 'The Postman' seems to be attributing gang violence, or a reputation of such, to LA's 'uniqueness'.

Quote:
Lol trust me I don't care not one bit, I would hate to live in LA traffic is crazy and everything costs money. But what made me mad was when he said LA wasn't unique besides Movies, Famous center of Television, actors, Venice Beach, Disneyland...you know none of that is unique.
All cities have things that are unique to them - every single one. You could also argue that all cities are unique because they are all different from one another, even if they have similarities. London is unique in the sense that you can't find a city exactly like London anywhere else - you can find cities that share similarities with it, like New York and Paris, but they are not the same.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I always thought that the crime rate in NYC has been going down, or has that changed now?
NYC this year has its lowest murder rate since the early 1960s, every year the city gets 100 less murders, since 1991 the city has been decreasing crime very fast, this year NYC had 400 murders rather than about 20 years ago its had 3 thousand murders, in fact more people committed suicide than were murdered.

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-25-2013 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World