Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:32 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times

Advertisements

They are definitely not the two most similar, there are lots of culturally similar countries that border each other that have similar histories and governments, Canada and the United States have disparate histories and governments. At the level of government, they come from very different legal traditions, and one is republic while the other is a constitutional monarchy. In my home province of Quebec, we're even working from a Civil law perspective. Canada is not just English Canada, in fact French is the older Canadian group, and 25% of the people being French Canadian is not an irrelevant fact that should be mentioned in passing like it's not a real difference. There's other differences to, like approximately 1:1 balance of Protestants to Catholics in Canada, much smaller cultural impact of major movements like the Second Great Awakening and Asuza Street Revival, the different points of view from being a citizen of a superpower or being a subject in an empire/being a citizen of a small middle power. The racial histories alone! We don't have that cultural wealth that comes of African American culture or the history that came from that. We don't have the Chicanos either, these are important parts of what make the USA culture distinct and they're not in Canada.

I dunno, they're pretty similar but countries like Algeria and Morocco, UAE and Bahrain, Tanzania and Kenya, Czech Republic and Slovakia, Argentina and Uruguay, and Honduras and Guatemala all seem way more similar with similar historical experiences and more homogenously similar ethnic makeups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 09:17 PM

485 posts, read 2,244,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I dunno, they're pretty similar but countries like Algeria and Morocco, UAE and Bahrain, Tanzania and Kenya, Czech Republic and Slovakia, Argentina and Uruguay, and Honduras and Guatemala all seem way more similar with similar historical experiences and more homogenously similar ethnic makeups.
Umm are you sure? Because I don't think UAE and Bahrain would be very homogenous. The other countries I would agree to some extent.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:11 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
They are definitely not the two most similar, there are lots of culturally similar countries that border each other that have similar histories and governments, Canada and the United States have disparate histories and governments. At the level of government, they come from very different legal traditions, and one is republic while the other is a constitutional monarchy. In my home province of Quebec, we're even working from a Civil law perspective. Canada is not just English Canada, in fact French is the older Canadian group, and 25% of the people being French Canadian is not an irrelevant fact that should be mentioned in passing like it's not a real difference. There's other differences to, like approximately 1:1 balance of Protestants to Catholics in Canada, much smaller cultural impact of major movements like the Second Great Awakening and Asuza Street Revival, the different points of view from being a citizen of a superpower or being a subject in an empire/being a citizen of a small middle power. The racial histories alone! We don't have that cultural wealth that comes of African American culture or the history that came from that. We don't have the Chicanos either, these are important parts of what make the USA culture distinct and they're not in Canada.
Excellent post! People usually only look at the surface when it comes to the US and Canada. That's why I said culturally similar but really, the similarities stop there.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:28 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
I dated a Canadian and was there for 6 months, and since then have visited on & off. Every time I'm there, I know it's a different country. There is a different vibe, different demographics. In Canada, there's less class and racial divide and it felt so safe that I know I let my guard down. There are less political and religious dimensions to things too, and there is a British influence there that is absent in the US. The people are more understated, softer-spoken and milder disposition than Americans I find.

So to answer the op, yes it's similar but there are very clear differences too so I'm sure there are a score of more similar neighboring countries out there. Mainly the Upper Midwest, Pacific NW and Upper New England have great parallels to Canada. The rest of the US is different enough that you know you're in a 'different country' let's put it this way.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I've seen pictures on google images and google maps of Canadian small towns and Canadian cities and they look exactly the same as in the US. Also, I've seen videos of Canadians and met some Canadians before and to be honest, I would've never thought they were from Canada if they didn't tell me. They talked and acted like the typical american person.

Well, if I pay attention, the Canadians do say aboot instead of About, but I think for the most part they talk just like Americans. I think Canada must pay a bit more in taxes and have more social programs but I mean, you still have to work, it's not like its a big difference. I also thought Canadians could get into college for free, but they get loans from the government and they have to pay back with interest, just like Americans.

I think that maybe if the US had a little bit bigger government and had the metric system, Canada and the USA would be just about the same. The average person in say China, India, Mexico, Brazil or Nepal would think Canada and the United States are the same thing.
Probably. If it wasn't for the border crossings and Canadian flags i would have no clue that i was in a different country.

From the scenery, culture and the people we are both pretty much identical.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:14 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Australia and New Zealand in my view are even more similar than USA and Canada. Same to Czech Republic and Sklovakia, and to Latvia and Lithuania.
In terms of accent NZ is more different, also the landscape and flora and fauna is world's away, more like washington state than australia. It is, I suppose, 2000 km away, the distance from San Diego to Vancouver. Culturally and in terms of built form of course they are very similar.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Probably. If it wasn't for the border crossings and Canadian flags i would have no clue that i was in a different country.

From the scenery, culture and the people we are both pretty much identical.
That's especially true being in Minnesota. Southern California is clearly different. Northern CA is a little closer, Oregon is a vortex and doesn't count. Washington is closer still.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Ukraine and Russia are very similar, with some parts of Ukraine being Russian in all but name only.

Romania and most of Moldova; Moldova should be folded into Romania.

I think Canada and the US are very similar, at least Canadians do given how many wear Canadian flags on their backpacks when traveling (would not want to be accused of being an American!)

There are many countries that are similar to each other, but for who is the most? It would depend on what factors and mood really. Sometimes even states within the US feel like a they are a different country. For example, going from Seattle to Vancouver, Canada does not feel much different compared to going from Seattle to Miami.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:20 PM

76 posts, read 147,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
it's like that in most countries outside the US. See in the US, if you got a ticket, you could argue that the sign didn't SAY yield or do not enter.
So true they try and use any excuse they can, if they get a ticket for speeding they could argue saying they were trying to merge and couldn't so they sped up.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:42 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,313 times
I would say that Sweden and Norway are a step more similar, both being Scandinavian constitutional monarchies with an almost identical culture, mentality and lifestyle. Of course with different languages, but not more different than say Serbian and Croatian, or Czech and Slovak, they are almost the same. I know that the USA and Canada speaks the same language for the most (with an identical dialect, at least for foreigners), but Canada also has Quebec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World