Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 11:32 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,742,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacof View Post
Australia and New Zealand are almost identical.
As an Aussie, New Zealand and Kiwis seem pretty different to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 11:37 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I doubt Canadians 'talk more with their hands', it's probably confirmation bias.
Most likely LOL

Old 12-24-2013, 11:38 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Lol idk anyone who says that except for foreigners.
And there you have it from someone from a different part of the country

Old 12-27-2013, 06:07 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I doubt Canadians 'talk more with their hands', it's probably confirmation bias.
French Canadians certainly talk with their hands a lot.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:12 AM

893 posts, read 1,208,035 times
Australia and New Zealand are virtually indistinguishable to me. I would put them ahead of USA/Canada. Morocco/Tunisia, UAE/Qatar, Latvia/Lithuania, Estonia/Finland, Chad/Central African Republic would be other contenders for me.

I disagree about Norway/Sweden being one of the top pairs. Norway is much more rural with many mountains, fjords, and many small rural communities. Sweden is much more urban with big cities like Stockholm, Gotenburg, Malmo, etc. and flatter, although it has more lakes. Sweden is in the EU, Norway isn't. Norway is in NATO, Sweden isn't. There certainly are similarities but I wouldn't put them as "most similar".

I dunno about some of the people posting saying "they can't tell the difference". I've lived in border states my whole life (Michigan and Maine) and I can always tell by the accent very easily.

Last edited by JoulesMSU; 12-27-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 12-27-2013, 03:35 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,742,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Australia and New Zealand are virtually indistinguishable to me.
Have you spent some time in both countries? They are 2,000 apart with different histories, ethnic mixes and political systems. In terms of landscape they're nothing alike.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Americans and Canadians frequently can't tell one another aprt either. Canadians don't actually say aboot.
I don't know what part of Canada you have been to, but they pronounce LOTS of words differently than Americans. My husband is from Ontario, and his relatives most certainly DO say "aboot", and "sore-ie" and "prod'-duce" (instead of produce), and "again" (rhymes with train) etc., etc. Not only that, but they have "eave troughs" instead of gutters on their rooves, and they fill up at the "garage" instead of the gas station, and they go to the "variety store" instead of the convenience store.... good lord, it's a whole
'nuther language.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-27-2013, 04:04 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Have you spent some time in both countries? They are 2,000 apart with different histories, ethnic mixes and political systems. In terms of landscape they're nothing alike.
I've never been to either, and they sound the same to me. If I spent time in both countries, I'd pick up the differences eventually.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:27 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Estonia/Finland

I disagree about Norway/Sweden being one of the top pairs.
Estonia and Finland have vastly more fundamental differences than Sweden and Norway. Finland is a Nordic welfare state not in NATO, while Estonia is economically ultra-liberal and have low welfare and taxation, and are not even striving for a welfare state. Most Estonian political decisions would be completely untinkable in Finland. There is also a big difference in the mentality of the two peoples. Also one could add that many young Estonians have no interest in Finland.

In one sentence: In 1900 Finland/Estonia were probably among the most similar, but not anymore in 2000.

Last edited by Ariete; 12-27-2013 at 04:35 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 08:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusZack View Post
I don't know his username doesn't specifically say American to me. I just think if you have to dig deep into obscurities to prove you're different, you're really grasping at straws. Take retail for example Canadian brands exist just like regional US brands do, but they also have Sears, Target now, and a Canadian mall is almost indistinguishable from a US mall. How about media, TV for example Canadian networks schedules match US schedules and show the exact same programming. Canadian radio, also indistinguishable from American radio programming. How about sports, TSN mostly indistinguishable from ESPN, heck the CFL is even shown on ESPN now. Daily life on either side of the border is the same, so if you have to go as deep as saying which provinces versus which states have elected a female to the executive/premier, you're really scraping the barrel.
Tyra…the OP said in part "... I've seen videos of Canadians and met some Canadians before and to be honest, I would've never thought they were from Canada if they didn't tell me.."
and…"get loans from the government and they have to pay back with interest, just like Americans."

So chances are they are American.

All the things you mention, brands, stores etc are surface stuff. The true culture of a country is reflected in it's form of gov't and institutions and core values that people posses beyond the standard core values that all humans have. Abortion, gay rights etc are two hotly debated subjects that still play a part in US culture, not here. Pregnancy leave, healthcare, legislated holiday time federally and provincially and holiday pay, all these " little " things make up a culture.
From being less religious, to believing in certain social policies, to the ethnic make-up, and yes history all plays a part in a country's culture, it's not just Starbucks.
However I do understand there is a certain group of Canadians who's life is …well more American than other Canadians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World