Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 01:40 PM

53 posts, read 184,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Do you care to elaborate about which document you are talking?

It wasn't the one from the census in 2001, that's for sure. And I certainly wasn't asked about my ethnic background when I registered in Vienna.

The only document I know that asks something like that is this one:
http://www.unhcr.at/fileadmin/unhcr_...lage_A-eng.pdf

And all we did, was take the last governmental source and update I from immigration stats, and fertility growth. So? Your argument is going nowhere!

Old 12-25-2013, 01:56 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,233 times
Were MENA populations included in the white percentage in America?

Old 12-25-2013, 02:16 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinrhar View Post
If you read my post more carefully, I wrote European origin. Iran s an Arab + Middle Eastern Country which I said, does not count.
Than, why did you name the thread "NEW: List of Countries By White Percentage 2012!"?

Iran is definitely not an Arab country, and others have debated whether or not it's Middle Eastern.

What is the point of excluding Turks, Persians, and Arabs considering that the border between Europe and Asia is arbitrary?

What is the point of excluding Turks, Persians, and Arabs, considering that many actually have blue eyes, fair skin, and light hair?

How do you classify Malta? It's an island between Europe and Africa. Most atlases classify it was European, but Maltese is a Semitic language, and most on the island have Arab roots. If Malta is ambiguous what about Cyprus, where I'd challenge you to be able to tell a Greek from a Turk? What about Sicily, which has its own Arab influences, genetically and culturally, as well? Are the people who live on these islands European? Are they white?

Quote:

And in the Carribean I use EUROPEAN origin.. For Example: Puerto Rico is 99% White.. but is only 0.6% European; Non Hispanic White. And again, Hispanics are not counted in my data because they are not European (wholely, majority).

And again for Argentina, 88% are above 75% European, and that is where I drew my line. It s also estimated that 75% of the USA, has a drop of Native blood... but we count them as white, right?
So, I still don't get why do you include Argentina but not Puerto Rico? I'm positive that a lot more than 0.6% of Puerto Ricans have more than 75% European ancestry.

Quote:
It s also estimated that 75% of the USA, has a drop of Native blood... but we count them as white, right?
I find this highly, highly suspect. I'm not sure where you live, but here in the Northeast most people's families came over after the industrial revolution, and I doubt that many more than a few have Native American ancestry. My family came over 14 generations ago, and even I don't have any Native American ancestry that I'm aware of.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 12-25-2013 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-25-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Were MENA populations included in the white percentage in America?
I'm sorry, we did not include the MENA populations as they are not European.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:41 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
About Finland, 8727 hold a Chinese passport. but most do not hold Finnish citizenship. Most of the migrants to Finland from he USSR are ethnically Belarussian, Ukrainian, and Russian. Actually there are over 15,000 Ethnically African Finns in Finland. Most Africans are whites from Southern Africa or Ethnic Somolians ... and furthermore, we conducted that roughly 75-80% of immigrants to Finland are European origin. Thanks!

From a professional Demographic standpoint, ive counted 32,000 non white Finns.. or 0.6%. So a study and let me know!
Some 60% of the foreign nationals in Finland are of European origin (including ex USSR), that leaves us 95,830 foreign nationals with non-European origin, 3 times your estimate. And what about their offspring if a parent gets a Finnish nationality, then the kids are lost in stats forever as they become only Finnish? Finnish citizenship have been given to 50,000 people in the last 10 years, and within time when they register as a student, marry, or else, they too are lost in the stats as they are recorded as Finnish.

I looked at native language. Hindi, Khmer, Chinese, Korea, Somali, Thai, Hausa, Wolof, Oromo and Kazakh, and came up with 33,096 people. Already that is more than your estimate. All these are with 99% probability "not white" according to your criteria.

So if your estimates are so much off for a small nation as Finland, how credible are your other estimates?
And I don't know which university you went to, but I'm used to back up my claims with facts and sources, not telling other to "grow up" or referring to your own credentials, which may be bogus as well. Who knows? Or asking to send an e-mail to some obscure address?
Or are you just fishing for actual stats that people could give you, so you can make real estimates in some neo-nazi collective?

Old 12-25-2013, 02:55 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
England is 84% white. (2013 est)
Scotland is 95% white.
N.I. is 98% White
Wales is 93% White

Therefore, UK is ~87% white

I care because I am a demographer, looking to make some extra money by posting my studies to the public websites. If you do not care, you can leave.
I didn't insult you - I simply inquired as to why you are interested in how 'White' certain countries are. At least you gave me an upfront answer.

Last edited by Rozenn; 12-25-2013 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 12-25-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Some 60% of the foreign nationals in Finland are of European origin (including ex USSR), that leaves us 95,830 foreign nationals with non-European origin, 3 times your estimate. And what about their offspring if a parent gets a Finnish nationality, then the kids are lost in stats forever as they become only Finnish? Finnish citizenship have been given to 50,000 people in the last 10 years, and within time when they register as a student, marry, or else, they too are lost in the stats as they are recorded as Finnish.

I looked at native language. Hindi, Khmer, Chinese, Korea, Somali, Thai, Hausa, Wolof, Oromo and Kazakh, and came up with 33,096 people. Already that is more than your estimate. All these are with 99% probability "not white" according to your criteria.

So if your estimates are so much off for a small nation as Finland, how credible are your other estimates?
And I don't know which university you went to, but I'm used to back up my claims with facts and sources, not telling other to "grow up" or referring to your own credentials, which may be bogus as well. Who knows? Or asking to send an e-mail to some obscure address?
Or are you just fishing for actual stats that people could give you, so you can make real estimates in some neo-nazi collective?

Actually 95.000 NON EU Immigrants. Those include just the countries in the European Union, excluding F USSR , Switz, Norway, and F yugoslavia. non european peoples were 35k in 2010 and no more thAn 40k now. But many somolians, blacks and arabs have returned home, so we believe that number is about 34-35k , therefore 99.5% white. And besides , even if you were right , finland would be 98.6% european!
Thanks !

Old 12-25-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Than, why did you name the thread "NEW: List of Countries By White Percentage 2012!"?

Iran is definitely not an Arab country, and others have debated whether or not it's Middle Eastern.

What is the point of excluding Turks, Persians, and Arabs considering that the border between Europe and Asia is arbitrary?

What is the point of excluding Turks, Persians, and Arabs, considering that many actually have blue eyes, fair skin, and light hair?

How do you classify Malta? It's an island between Europe and Africa. Most atlases classify it was European, but Maltese is a Semitic language, and most on the island have Arab roots. If Malta is ambiguous what about Cyprus, where I'd challenge you to be able to tell a Greek from a Turk? What about Sicily, which has its own Arab influences, genetically and culturally, as well? Are the people who live on these islands European? Are they white?

So, I still don't get why do you include Argentina but not Puerto Rico? I'm positive that a lot more than 0.6% of Puerto Ricans have more than 75% European ancestry.

I find this highly, highly suspect. I'm not sure where you live, but here in the Northeast most people's families came over after the industrial revolution, and I doubt that many more than a few have Native American ancestry. My family came over 14 generations ago, and even I don't have any Native American ancestry that I'm aware of.

Actually the same was true for argentina, i used puerto rico as an example. Since Argentinians are relatively newer immigrants and with a low indigenous population, only 10% are significanty mixed.

Ancestry.com emailed us a very long time ago and said 73.55% of americans are mixed with native ancestry more than 1 ancestor out of atleast 1,200.

And you are deliberaltey questioning me on christmas. Do you have anything better to do? If you read i did European populations. Did i do malta or cyprus? NO! Greeks are European whilst Turkish people arent. All I do is make projections, i dont classify people as white or black or arab. So please spend time with your family!

Old 12-25-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Actually 95.000 NON EU Immigrants. Those include just the countries in the European Union, excluding F USSR , Switz, Norway, and F yugoslavia. non european peoples were 35k in 2010 and no more thAn 40k now. But many somolians, blacks and arabs have returned home, so we believe that number is about 34-35k , therefore 99.5% white. And besides , even if you were right , finland would be 98.6% european!
Thanks !
Neo nazi? You are ignorant and need to spend timw with your kids on christmas! I get paid for this and yur not, too bad! I truely wish you would leave because you are lacking basic skills as a Demographer. If 35k are non white, that is 0.5% . I predicted it that down from Finlands 2006 census at 23,922 non Europeans. Okay!? All we do is make projections with data we are given! We have almost a 90% accuracy rate so far in INED France's career. So sir, find something better ro do then talking about white people and minorities because its very strange. I do it for a career!

Old 12-25-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I didn't insult you - I simply inquired as to why you are interested in how 'White' certain countries are. At least you gave me an upfront answer.
Sorry im a little high strung from these ignorant raicists who cant accept the fact that europe isnt 100% white anymore.. And thank you for your consideration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World