Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:37 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
What are you appoligizing for? lol!
I thought you'd read that as more of a fun "Hmph!"

No, I know you guys use both. Hell...I use both lol I think most of the folks in my region do as well, and it probably stems from being what is most likely the most Americanized region in all of Canada. I'm 32 and only now am I getting familiar with celcius since I've been getting my weather from watching Detroit news stations my whole life. (I like their radar better lol)
Oh I know, all tongue in cheek

Old 01-11-2014, 04:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Issues with americans or with american fish,lol ?
haha but yes, American tourist are included in annoying tourists.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:13 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
The "entire world" wasn't at war in 1939, and the "entire world" didn't even fight in WWII. And you are assuming that he wasn't talking about the event in an American context and chalking it up to Americans being uninformed.

Whether he was aware or not, Americans are about as well informed about WWII and other historical events as most other countries. You aren't going to go to any country and find that that most people know much about any historical events in general. If you go to a random country like Belize and the average person can't give you an accurate overview of either World War.
I should've implied "most of the world" instead of the "entire world". Some were involved one way or another, and not just the main participants themselves (USA, UK, France, USSR, Nazi Germany, Imperial Japan, China, and Italy).

Participants in World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-11-2014, 05:24 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
It is disappointing that most Americans aren't better informed on this. WWII for us may have started at Pearl Harbor but the entire world was already at war all the way back in 1939 when Hitler invaded Poland.
I think that pretty much everyone knows that WW2 started in 1939. I can't recall ever meeting an adult who didn't know that WW2 started in '39 and that we entered later; it's a basic part of our education and those are the dates that are always quoted in the media.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:34 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think that pretty much everyone knows that WW2 started in 1939. I can't recall ever meeting an adult who didn't know that WW2 started in '39 and that we entered later; it's a basic part of our education and those are the dates that are always quoted in the media.
Yeah, the "most" statement of that sentence was an error on my part. Much of the world was at war before the US officially entered (Of course, we did help supplied food and materials to the Allied Powers), so the U.S. technically was already involved in WW2 even before officially declaring war as we all know (IIRC, we also imposed an oil, rubber, and tin embargo on the Japanese as a result of their belligerence in Southeast Asia). And of course, the events of Pearl Harbor changed all of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World