Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:56 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,602,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

Actually Israeli Arabs do have equal rights to Israeli Jewish citizens. I haven't heard about this so called citizenship test. Do you have some sources/links?

Well when is the USA going to return all the land it stole from the Native American Indians?

BTW, Israel doesn't control all the entry and exit points. From Gaza there is a border with Egypt which is controlled completely by Egypt. From the West Bank there is a border controlled by Jordan which is completely controlled by Jordan. I suggest that some fact checking is in order. Also why didn't Gaza (when it was controlled by Egypt 1949-1967) and the West Bank (when it was controlled by Jordan 1949-1967) form an Arab Palestinian country in 1948?
1-Not true,no equal rights for israeli arabs,they live as 2nd class-citizens in israel. here is a video from a son of famous israeli general :
JEWISH Man EXPOSES ISRAEL LIES - I AM THE SON OF ISRAELI GENERAL - 1 - YouTube

2-At least the US,settled the issue of land and compensation with Native American Indians and not forcing them into a different faith.

3-Not true,israel control all the entry,including the egyptian and jordanian one.Palestine is already a state recognized by the majority of the world and by the United Nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 12:25 PM

6 posts, read 13,862 times
First let me quote: “Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change.”
It certainly does help people to fit in.
But ...
I think you have to look inside the homes of immigrants.
There's been thousands of years of migration, sometimes encouraged by governments, sometimes not. Would it exist if governments didn't give tacit approval by allowing it? Well, yeah, whole populations have moved in and/or moved on over time.
There's lots that goes into why people uproot themselves and start over. There's that fascinating human heart. There's hope, politics, need. So, you ask, what and who makes this work.
It is not only the official-language speakers who have a hand in making the move work better for the newbee. When immigrating, it is simply comfortable to speak to someone in your own language when you are trying to navigate the new place. So the tendency to congregate where you can be understood is part of survival instinct. The migration-chains of my ancestors were full of street names that reminded them of home, and neighborhoods that allowed them to eat what made them happy.
My grandpa was good at languages which helped him assimilate and continue his career, but Grandma was often most comfortable with the traditions she brought. Her first American cookbook, however, still is the one my cousins and I turn to. Grandma didn't really need the cookbook as she brought a wealth of know-how with her.
Anywhere you go people are wrapped up in their own lives. I do think there is a balance between finding a place that will accommodate you when you immigrate, and finding people who can relate to you, your quirks and social background ... and your willingness to get out there and try (hard as it may be). If I were going to go to a foreign country I'd look (without prejudice of any kind) for a community that would understand me.
When I traveled I could get my needs met in several languages, but I could in no way carry on a glib or funny discourse, get my jokes understood easily, so my intense socializing was limited to locals who could speak MY language.
I don't think any country has a lock on being welcoming or dispiriting to newcomers. However a sad part of human nature that springs up everywhere, is that tendency to want to place blame for problems. It goes with ignoring the fact that this all has been with us for ever.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:24 PM

43,807 posts, read 44,579,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
2-At least the US,settled the issue of land and compensation with Native American Indians and not forcing them into a different faith.

3-Not true,israel control all the entry,including the egyptian and jordanian one.Palestine is already a state recognized by the majority of the world and by the United Nations.
Israel is not forcing anyone to change their religion. Actually Orthodox Jews usually discourage people from converting to Judaism.

Israel does NOT control the Gaza border with Egypt. I suggest you check your facts again. If Palestine was already a state as you say then why are they still striving for statehood?

Again Israel is a country of immigrants and it integrates legal immigrants very well much better than they do so in the USA.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:39 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,921,159 times
People are probably going to say UK but I don't think so. The immigrants in London all have their own neighbourhoods and they all practise their own religions and traditions. They are really nothing like us.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:31 AM

7,873 posts, read 10,315,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
People are probably going to say UK but I don't think so. The immigrants in London all have their own neighbourhoods and they all practise their own religions and traditions. They are really nothing like us.

I certainly wouldn't choose the uk , that country has a lot of growing problems with ghettoization

Old 05-09-2014, 01:09 PM

4 posts, read 10,963 times
Default NYC is segregated

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
So if it's not racial segregation, what is it exactly you're talking about?

The freedom of people to choose where they want to live?

Ok, look I have to agree with the segregation (whether voluntary or involuntary) in NYC statement, and here is why:

NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, and Washington D.C. have the largest population of African-Americans of the top 10 largest cities in the U.S. and it is no coincidence that they all have starkly separated living arrangements into certain neighborhoods. Compare that so say LA (which has a much smaller black population, but has a lot more numbers of many other ethnicities) which has like London, a much more integrated upper, middle, and lower income classes. Now you tend to hear about the many black power brokers in LA's black political, sports, and celebrity community (again much smaller than NYC's) but you rarely hear about wealthy and/or powerful blacks in NYC (aside from Derek Jeter, Jay Z, and Beyonce) even though the black population is much much larger than LA's. The main difference? Money. In NYC and Chicago, how much you make determines where you will live and most of the high powered and moneyed positions don't go to African-Americans for some reason (maybe education, maybe other factors), but compare that to say California cities and there is a much more equitable distribution of income among ethnicities like Middle Easterners (particularly Iranians, Turkish, Arab, but also Armenians and Iraqi's), Asians (particularly Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans, but also Filipinos, Vietnamese, Indonesians, etc.), Hispanics (particularly Mexican, but also Argentine and Spanish), African-Americans, Europeans. These ethnicities tend to mix in many California neighborhoods whether they are upper, middle income, or lower income cities, and are not segregate by race as much even though they may be segregated by income or property values. Is it economic mobility that is lacking for minorities in NYC and Chicago? Maybe, and there is some indication that is the case across the South(U.S.) and northeastern cities, while there is more economic upward mobility in western states, particularly California.

Don't believe me? Look at 2010 census figures about ethnic demographic distribution within major U.S. cities.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 PM

8,875 posts, read 8,479,268 times
For Chinese(or East Asian),it's Canada,especially Vancouver(it's no joke that it's called Hongcouver lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World