Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Yeah I think most Latin Americans don't know and care about other countries so much. Yeah it sucks, they are ignorant. They think all Asians are Chinese. Even if you are Vietnamese, Korean, Thai, etc. They will still call you chino, which means Chinese in Spanish. Some would think Japan is part of china, and before say 5-10 years ago, before the Korean wave hit, they didn't even know a country like Korea existed or even gave a crap if it did. Don't talk to them about Burma or Cambodia or Thailand, they won't know what you're talking about.
That's the same in much of the world, really. In Thailand a girl refused to believe I was Australian simply because I didn't look like what she thought all Australians looked like. Of course she couldn't pick up my accent. I wonder how many Asians know anything much about Latin America?

But yeah, a lot of people are sort of ignorant about even the differences between Chinese and Japanese or other Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 PM

485 posts, read 2,246,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I've been to many countries in Asia, haha. There are some groups that seem similar, like Cambodia/Laos/Thailand, the Indian sub-continent, but in general, the differences are much bigger. I mean Japanese and Chinese are not even in the same language FAMILY, while Peru and Argentina have the same language.
But if you talk about like races and ethnicities, there are differences. Peruvians are indigenous and Argentinians are a bunch Spanish and Italians. I think most of the stereotypes of Latin America just mostly applies to northern South America and the North American portion of Latin America. I don't think Peruvians are exactly talkative or outgoing.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
But if you talk about like races and ethnicities, there are differences. Peruvians are indigenous and Argentinians are a bunch Spanish and Italians. I think most of the stereotypes of Latin America just mostly applies to northern South America and the North American portion of Latin America. I don't think Peruvians are exactly talkative or outgoing.
Yes, that's true, although before I didn't realise those demographic variations, and I'm a lot more geographically aware than most. I knew all the countries, capitals.etc, but I didn't know Peru was more indigenous than Uruguay or something. Still, I see culture as more important, especially in Latin America. To me an Argentinian is still a lot more similar to a Peruvian than a European because of culture especially language.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:15 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Yes, burgler is ignorant of people's ignorance (which is understandable though, how many Latin Americans can tell the differences between Cambodia and Thailand?), how ironic haha.

I'm American. You're the one constantly making sweeping generalizations about the United States. You look more ignorant than me or anyone else in the United States.

To suggest that Americans don't know the difference between Mexico and Spain is ridiculous.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
That's the same in much of the world, really. In Thailand a girl refused to believe I was Australian simply because I didn't look like what she thought all Australians looked like. Of course she couldn't pick up my accent. I wonder how many Asians know anything much about Latin America?

But yeah, a lot of people are sort of ignorant about even the differences between Chinese and Japanese or other Asians.
I think probably the average Chinese in china just may know that the only Latin American country that exists is Brazil. Possibly Koreans are the same. Japanese people are really good at geography and can point out even African and European countries. You know like the small insignificant ones you hardly ever hear about on the news. They don't know about other countries but they're really good at geography.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm American. You're the one constantly making sweeping generalizations about the United States. You look more ignorant than me or anyone else in the United States.

To suggest that Americans don't know the difference between Mexico and Spain is ridiculous.
Like what? Like my opinions? What generalisations have I made?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:

What he says is true. Many people have asked me if I'm Spanish and I said no, that I'm Mexican. They tell me that I look Spanish, even though I don't look Caucasian. I had a friend who's half Spanish, whenever he tells people he's half Spanish, they say "Really? But you don't look Mexican!!!" He rolls his eyes when he hears that.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Like what? Like my opinions? What generalisations have I made?

I'm not going to go through the other threads, but you make negative generalizations about Americans quite often.

You do it with other places too though. "Where can I pick up girls?" Good lord dude..

Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I think probably the average Chinese in china just may know that the only Latin American country that exists is Brazil. Possibly Koreans are the same. Japanese people are really good at geography and can point out even African and European countries. You know like the small insignificant ones you hardly ever hear about on the news. They don't know about other countries but they're really good at geography.
Interesting. Yes, I guess there are quite a lot of Japanese Brazilians too, many of whom have returned to Japan. I've met a Japanese Brazilian though and he is just Brazilian, he can't even speak Japanese.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to go through the other threads, but you make negative generalizations about Americans quite often.

You do it with other places too though. "Where can I pick up girls?" Good lord dude..
Huh? You're confusing me with someone else...

I love America - aspects of it, which is why i joined this site, and I have never looked forward to visiting any country as much as when I went to the US. However, and especially after visiting, I realised it's flaws. I've also pointed out flaws in my own country, so I don't have any agenda against the States. I hope to visit soon, though, such a big country and so much to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World