Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who wins this?
Australia 20 44.44%
California 24 53.33%
Equal 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:43 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,368 times

Advertisements

Another match up along the same lines as my other thread comparing Australia with Canada.

California's history of Chinese immigration can be a fair comparison with Australia. Both are known for having gold rushes that brought them there. Also, other Asian groups are in both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 05:59 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
I know that Australia has a lot of Asians, and I've known a few Asian Australians before, but I'll admit that IDK how much they've influenced Australian culture.

As far as CA goes, there are a few cities that have Asian majorities or have a very outsized Asian population relative to national averages. In SF, for example, 40% of the city is Asian. The San Gabriel Valley (SGV), to the East of LA, is very, very heavily Asian, specifically Chinese. Many Bay Area cities like Concord, Mountain View, San Jose, and Colma have a sizable Asian and South Asian population. In some areas, they're so prominent that they basically become the dominant local culture. Daly City, for example, has more Asian grocers than Western grocers, with Filipinos and Chinese making up the majority. El Monte and Alhambra in the SGV are very predominantly Chinese, with Chinese banks, restaurants, grocers, bakeries, salons, etc making up the norm.

Beyond that, Asians are very deeply ingrained in the fabric of most of CA, and there are many second, third, fourth, sometimes further-generation citizens. There have been plenty of Asians in high-level political positions, such as mayors, congressmen, chiefs of police, representatives, etc.

I think that one of the best examples of just how Asian CA is, is that a few years ago, I was driving with a friend from Ireland through a farming community in Northern CA, and we stopped off at a shopping center to grab some lunch and try to find some sunglasses. The shopping center had a Subway, two Chinese restaurants, a Hawaiian BBQ, a sushi place, and a Thai joint. When we walked into the Ross (large discount clothing retailer), everyone in line with us was Asian. This was a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
^ I believe both Australia and California are about 13-15% Asian now, and growing, and have similar histories. Both have a history of Chinese migration during the respective gold rushes of the 19th century, with large Chinatowns established in Melbourne, Sydney, San Francisco and many smaller cities. Many started up businesses and while there was discrimination some became a part of the community. Many of these rural communities in particular were dismantled and many Chinese were literally 'run out of town' so that the Asian presence dwindled until later in the 20th century. I believe the US had the Chinese Exclusion Act, and Australia the White Australia Policy.

I've only been to LA and San Diego, but at least in the areas I visited I feel Sydney and Melbourne definitely felt more Asians, but LA doesn't have a strong city core where you see a very heavy concentration of Asians. If you walk around the CBD of Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth or Adelaide at least half the people walking around will be Asian. Australia's Asian community is fairly diverse, with Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino, Indonesian, Malaysian, Indian, Lebanese, Turkish.etc as well as Koreans (mostly as students and on working holiday) and Japanese, Taiwanese.

Demographically, some areas are over 50% Asian, and in some suburbs as few as 20% were born in Australia. Similarly as few as 20% in extreme examples (Ashfield, Cabramatta, Springvale) even speak English at home. In the suburb I lived in, Footscray, you heard Vietnamese more than English.

Anyway Sydney and Melbourne are extremely multicultural and probably feels almost as Asian as San Francisco

Old 03-31-2014, 03:55 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
I have never been to Australia so I can't say which has more Asian infleunce, but in Caliifornia Asian influence and presence is very noticable. In both the Bay area and Los Angeles.

Koreatown Los Angeles, just west of downtown is one of the biggest asian enclaves/business districts In North America. Korean businesses extend much further outside the actual oficial koreatown limits. There are other areas outside of LA like in Monterrey Park and in Orange county but this is the one I'm most familiar with.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have never been to Australia so I can't say which has more Asian infleunce, but in Caliifornia Asian influence and presence is very noticable. In both the Bay area and Los Angeles.

Koreatown Los Angeles, just west of downtown is one of the biggest asian enclaves/business districts In North America. Korean businesses extend much further outside the actual oficial koreatown limits. There are other areas outside of LA like in Monterrey Park and in Orange county but this is the one I'm most familiar with.

Yes I've been to Koreatown. That's what I love about LA, all the different ethnic neighbourhoods.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:40 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Both have a history of Chinese migration during the respective gold rushes of the 19th century
The traditional Chinese name for San Francisco is "Old Gold Mountain" -- as opposed to "New Gold Mountain," which is Australia.

California had an entire Chinese town. Today it's basically a museum, but still a fascinating place to visit.

http://www.locketown.com/

Old 04-02-2014, 08:49 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Los Angeles county is the capital of Asian America.
L.A. County is the Capital of Asian America | Transpacific Routes | SoCal Focus | KCET

Old 03-21-2020, 09:27 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
At least for Chinese, Australia has a far greater proportion. Indians, too, probably.

Koreans and Vietnamese, California wins.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:14 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,995,040 times
California.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:05 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Asians are second only to Latinos as a minority group in CA but are the fastest-growing group. Every large city and many smaller ones have sizable Asian populations. San Francisco and parts of LA have been mentioned. Across the bay in Oakland is the Bay Area's other Chinatown. Some years back, Oakland renamed E 14th street International blvd. due to the diversity along its length, a large proportion of that are Asians from just about every east and southeast group. San Diego also has a sizable Asian population with the neighborhood of Mira Mesa comprising mainly Filipinos and Vietnamese. Linda Vista with Filipinos, Cambodians, Laotians, and Vietnamese and an area known as Little Saigon which speaks for itself. The cities of National City and Chula Vista have some Filipino and Chinese present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World