Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:30 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times

Advertisements

They both industrialized through heavy industry such as steel, shipbuilding, cars, etc.

They both like the 3 B's - beer, Beethoven (classical music) and baked goods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 11:33 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
The East Asia-Europe comparison is far from perfect,but it's actually quite fun lol.

I definitely think South Korea bears strong,well not strong,say some resemblance to Germany,at least West Germany.Both countries started literally from scratch because of wars,and now both countries stand strong.

There are still major differences though,the overall quality of life is definitely far better in Germany,Germany is far more democratic and free than Korea.And unlike Korea,Germany doesn't merely rely on one or two specific company.And since there isn't any friendly,cooperative organization like EU in Asia,Korea has not been trying to cover up the messes of other Asian countries in the region.
But the two nations have both been creating miracles after miracles.Both of them didn't get defeated by the financial crisis,instead they have both been very stable economically.So yeah I think they are quite alike in certain ways.

Btw I think I've made the same comparisons in another thread,but who cares,it's totally inaccurate but it's fun.

China is totally Russia in East Asia.Every country within the region is very afraid of her,or just totally resent her.And since China is a much stronger economy,nobody is gonna sanction China for anything because sanctioning China=damaging themselves.

Japan is a lot like the UK imo.Both are island nations and both are strong allies of the US and are lifeless(relatively) yet still powerful economies.Japan also bears some resemblance to Germany as well,especially the people.

Korea is like Germany.

North Korea is like Belarus-the last dictatorship of Europe.Of course NK is much much more isolated though,and about 500 times scarier.Before the 1990,it's a much more isolated East Germany,obviously.

Singapore is like Switzerland or Luxembourg,but with poorer human rights and totalitarian regime,and much more crowded and hotter.Financial center of the region,nuff said.

The rest of the SE Asia is like Southern Europe,for being major tourist attractions,and having awesome local delicacies.Very rough and general comparison though.

Taiwan is like Ukraine politically.Russia wants Ukraine just like China wants Taiwan.The difference is that Ukraine is still a country by all means,despite all the mess happened recently;while Taiwan is not considered a country by China so the rest of the world must agree with her,but somehow we are much more stable.

As for tourism,I think we are like Belgium or Slovakia of the region.I mean,with China,Korea,SE Asia,Japan nearby,Taiwan is easily overlooked.Belgium is stuck between UK,France,Germany,and the Netherlands,so it's probably also often overlooked.Czech Republic,Austria,Poland,Hungary are all very close to Slovakia,so it's probably also overlooked by tourists.
But of course Brussels is the capital of EU and both countries share land borders with their neighbors,the comparison is pretty lame lol.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:34 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
I think Japan also bears some similarities to France. Their obsession with perfection, especially when it comes to food and food presentation, for instance. Paris is still seen as a gastronomic capital and Tokyo has more Michelin star restaurants than any other city.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:50 AM

177 posts, read 268,954 times
Funny how all non-Koreans compare my country to some random European counterpart. Most Koreans would compare Korea to Italy, temperament-wise and geographically, they are both peninsulas.
Apparently people from peninsulas are hot-headed.
Both countries value stylish living and good looks, love drinking.
The only major difference are in work-ethics, but for the rest it's fairly similar.
Koreans aren't anyhing like the Irish or Germans, and had to lol at that.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Well we compare Korea to Germany for their enviable cultural and historic experiences,it's not like we have been badmouthing Korea.
And it was just for fun lol,wasn't serious at all.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:16 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Funny how all non-Koreans compare my country to some random European counterpart. Most Koreans would compare Korea to Italy, temperament-wise and geographically, they are both peninsulas.
Apparently people from peninsulas are hot-headed.
Both countries value stylish living and good looks, love drinking.
The only major difference are in work-ethics, but for the rest it's fairly similar.
Koreans aren't anyhing like the Irish or Germans, and had to lol at that.
Greeks and Turks(?) are also hot-headed. However, you missed the fact that it takes several hours for an average Italian to finish his/her meal. I do know all of the comparisons on this thread only give us a very "rough sketch" though.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:13 AM

69 posts, read 85,561 times
I personally think that Korea is more like Ireland because there are similarities between Korea and Ireland:

Ireland and Korea were colonized by the island nations near them (UK and Japan).
Irish and Koreans like to get drunk (Irish drink a lot Whiskey, while Koreans drink a lot Soju).
Irish and Koreans are often perceived as hot-tempered
Irish and Koreans like to eat cabbage
Ireland and Korea both are separated due to religion/ideology reason (see North Ireland and North Korea)
Irish and Koreans were seen by the British and the Japanese as second class citizens in the past.
Irish and Koreans still have close relationship with their family members

Old 12-23-2015, 03:12 PM

10,641 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Asian - European

Japan = England
South Korea = Netherlands
North Korea = Ukraine
Siberia = Belarus
Mongolia = Hungary
China = France
Taiwan = Ireland
Vietnam = Portugal
Cambodia = Bulgaria
Thailand = Spain
Burma = Romania
Malaysia = Italy
Philippines = Greece

Old 02-18-2016, 11:19 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,407,948 times
I've known those Asian countries equivalent to European counterpart as:

Korean = Italian (Peninsular Temperament)
Japanese = English (Insularism; Insular Mentality)
Chinese = French (Continental Arrogantness)

Old 02-18-2016, 12:25 PM

10,641 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
I've known those Asian countries equivalent to European counterpart as:

Korean = Italian (Peninsular Temperament)
Japanese = English (Insularism; Insular Mentality)
Chinese = French (Continental Arrogantness)
Personality of the average Korean is way too cold/individual to be compared with Italians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World