Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:37 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well my ancestors come from a part of China where many emigrated, so it's not too unlikely some might have gone over during say the Gold Rush years.
Well idk.. Whatever.. I don't know much about Chinese geneology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 04:24 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
This question is for people who live outside of the United States. Did any of your distant ancestors immigrate to the United States?
Yes in the early 1900s from Roscommon in Ireland, 5 from the same family. They went to New Jersey. There is no one from my family left in Roscommon they all left or died. The last uncle in Roscommon died in the late 1980s. The only one that stayed in Ireland went to Dublin and had family there. The rest went to the US, some to the UK and my father to Australia. I've more recent relatives that are in the US at the moment.

Last edited by Bernie20; 05-02-2014 at 04:38 AM..

Old 05-02-2014, 05:33 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I've traced my family to 1700.
The earliest it is traced for mine is the the 18th century. The Australian background of my family originally came out in the 19th century from England and none of them ever moved to the United States.

Yet maybe there are some relatives that are distant did move to the United States.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:36 AM

Probably in mines too. Mines moved in the 1900s so not long ago.

They have mixed in though so only the old ones look like us.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times
Quote:
Probably in mines too. Mines moved in the 1900s so not long ago.

They have mixed in though so only the old ones look like us.
I don't look Anglo and get mistaken for Italian background, yet most of the Australian side of the family do look Anglo. Yet most Australians I know that are born here have more than one ethnicity, like Americans.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:58 AM

Well um they don't look like us at all and my family has been there for about 90 years now so the ancestry has changed. The ancestry that they have will only be a very very small margin of what I have.

Whatever ancestral groups were in their area will be what they have.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:23 AM

545 posts, read 866,887 times
Ancestors ?
"A person, typically one more remote than a grandparent, from whom one is descended"
So a parent leaving his family to emigrate to the US, it didn't happen a lot.

But yeah, I understand what OP mean. I don't know anyone who did, but 250 years ago in Quebec. My family is so big than anyway maybe I have a great-great-great uncle or something like that who immigrated, but who was forgotten by everyone. It's especially likely because almost half of them are from Brittany, one of the rare French region which had quite a lot of emigrants and they were poor.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:40 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I tried finding genealogy stuff online in Spanish to trace my Hispanic side and see how long all branches, except 1, lived in Puerto Rico. The furthest I managed to trace was the early 1800s, when James Madison was still alive; so AFAIK, my family has been in North America longer than most Americans' families have.

Needless to say, genealogy stuff in Spanish is significantly harder to come by than English sources. Genealogy must be more of an Anglo-Saxon pastime
I think you might be onto something with that point because it was common for names to evolve from ones occupation. As Peter being described by someone to another would have been Peter, the shepherd then becoming Peter Shepherd.

The Anglo Saxon's propensity for having a family coat of arms lends itself to the heraldry of a family name being more easily traced. You weren't considered anybody until you designed and hung a shield emblazoned with your family coat of arms or 'crest' over a huge fireplace on a little island way out in the Outer Hebrides so that when the neighbouring famer showed up for a 'wee dram' he'd have nothing to look at but that shield hanging there in its full regalia splendor. "What's that then 'arvey?" "Oh that's just something the wee bairn drew in his crib using the contents of his nappy that his ma took a liking to". "I hung it there to please the old girl".

My family's registered 'Coat of Arms' as an example, is a shield divided by a diagonal bar separating two groups of strutting storks above and below the bar. It is derived by some obscure ancestor being a keeper of storks for some royal personage who it is supposed, enjoyed seeing the exotic birds strutting around his estate.

Such is the archival ancestral minutiae information kept on behalf of those with Anglo Saxon origins.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:21 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
Ancestors ?
"A person, typically one more remote than a grandparent, from whom one is descended"
So a parent leaving his family to emigrate to the US, it didn't happen a lot.
Actually, it was and still is quite common for married men to migrate alone to the United States for work. They then send money back to their families in the "old country".

Old 05-02-2014, 04:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
I didn't know Puerto Rico was ON North America.

Its in the Carribean.

Oh wait it looks like I have more American family than you.
You didn't? Puerto Rico is part of North America. Here is a list of all the countries in North America.
Read it, and learn.

List of North American Countries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World