Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times

Advertisements

As a decent tasty meal or greasy trash?

I thought about this after talking to a German friend the other day. Here in Canada, you order a pizza if you are really drunk, temporarily foregoing all your dietary concerns, or you just didn't care in the first place. A non-greasy, meat-loaded pizza from an Italian restaurant or pizzeria is by far the most uncommon source of your pie. Usually they are ordered from a place that focuses on really extreme variations of pizza in the vein of fast food.

I think maybe in a lot of Europe, and maybe Argentina(?), pizzas are not as large and focus on only a couple of fresh ingredients without dripping grease, sauce, and unidentifiable cheese. Therefor, maybe pizza doesn't have as much a stigma as in North America. Possibly it's even just a normal food.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:52 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,810,713 times
Well we have a large Italian population, so good quality pizzerias are common. Plus a lot of non-Italian pubs and restaurants also serve pizza, varying widely in quality. I've eaten at literally hundreds of pizza places here, and I have my favourites. Some taste more distinct than the rest. I do admit I do get Dominos occasionally, especially the $4.95 for a large pizza (that's less than a subway 6 inch here!) on Tuesday deals.

So yes, it depends on whether you're ordering Dominos/Pizza Hut.etc or going to an Italian restaurant.

When visiting Italy I was actually (this might sound strange) surprised at how common pizza was. In this case the stereotype was true lol. I thought that pizza was overrepresented in Italian cuisine here, but there it's just super common, everywhere you look there's a pizzeria. I heard, however, that pizza's popularity in much of Italy is actually fairly recent. In the 1950s it was hard to find ANY pizza in Milan. It spread from Naples around the country. Oddly pizza was popularised around the same time in the States as most of Italy.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:52 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,505,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
As a decent tasty meal or greasy trash?

I thought about this after talking to a German friend the other day. Here in Canada, you order a pizza if you are really drunk, temporarily foregoing all your dietary concerns, or you just didn't care in the first place. A non-greasy, meat-loaded pizza from an Italian restaurant or pizzeria is by far the most uncommon source of your pie. Usually they are ordered from a place that focuses on really extreme variations of pizza in the vein of fast food.

I think maybe in a lot of Europe, and maybe Argentina(?), pizzas are not as large and focus on only a couple of fresh ingredients without dripping grease, sauce, and unidentifiable cheese. Therefor, maybe pizza doesn't have as much a stigma as in North America. Possibly it's even just a normal food.

What do you think?
I would say Australia is much like Canada, though "gourmet" pizza's restaurants seem to be going through some what of a resurgence at the moment.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,296 times
Singaporeans perception of Pizza ? Junk food.. but we still sort of like it...

Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I would say Australia is much like Canada, though "gourmet" pizza's restaurants seem to be going through some what of a resurgence at the moment.
Maybe it's because you live in Queensland with the lowest Italian population of the major cities , but quality Italian style pizza has been the norm in Australian cities for a long time. The more gourmet thing/less conventional types like escargo, or teriyaki prawns or lamb with tsaksiki is a bit more recent.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Maybe it's because you live in Queensland with the lowest Italian population of the major cities , but quality Italian style pizza has been the norm in Australian cities for a long time. The more gourmet thing/less conventional types like escargo, or teriyaki prawns or lamb with tsaksiki is a bit more recent.
Possibly, never has been much of an Italian population in Brisbane. Dominos Australia and eagle boys both originated out of Brisbane.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Possibly, never has been much of an Italian population in Brisbane. Dominos Australia and eagle boys both originated out of Brisbane.
Maybe there's a relationship there, lol.

I live in Melbourne now, pizza is of course a dime a dozen, and not just equated with junk food, it depends on the pizza.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:54 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:

I live in Melbourne now, pizza is of course a dime a dozen, and not just equated with junk food, it depends on the pizza.
This is pretty much how it is where I live. Pizza is not automatically posh, nor is it automatically low-brow.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Maybe their is which is why I posted It.

Of course in terms of pizza Brisbane is almost exactly the same as Melbourne these days, thought the gourmet part might be a bit more recent thing.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe their is which is why I posted It.

Of course in terms of pizza Brisbane is almost exactly the same as Melbourne these days, thought the gourmet part might be a bit more recent thing.
Yes of course, even in the little country town I lived in the pub served some good pizza.

Smart-arse answer to the original question: 'with their eyes, nose and mouth!'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World